R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Warn away alarms

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warn away alarms

I've got a issue. People like to walk up and take a gander when my car's parked with the top down. I like when they do, but too often I've watched as they lean into the side of the car with belt buckles, coat zippers and the like. Saw one kid lean against it and slide back and forth! If he'd not had on a sweatshirt I woulda been 'keyed'.

I realize with the loud interior and parking with the top down I'm creating a 'attractive nuisance' as the lawyers would say. I.E. asking for it. But I'd like to leave the top down and have people ogle but protect it a bit too.

I'd like to have a system that would softly chirp when someone gets REALLY close to the car as I know some alarms do. My preference would to NOT have a full blown alarm as part of that though. I don't want to create a nuisance and have onlookers setting it off, just something to help people be aware not to lean on it. Perhaps be good in parking lots too. Even though I do park way out usually. Some jalopy always wants to buddy up even when I park way out

I found directed electronics www.directedstore.com has a couple items. One is a 'field disturbance sensor' 508D. It uses a RF field and is supposed to function as a 'Level 1' zone or 'warn away' sensor. They also have a 'voice system' 516U. It's able to work with a alarm or warn away input. It appears that it could would work with the sensor above without a alarm system being attached.

So, any alarm literate folks here? Where do these RF field sensors get mounted that they detect people around the car? Do they need line of sight through the glass? Or is it a capacitance thing through the body sheetmetal?

Or anyone know of a system to do this? Or a alarm system where 'warn away' can be active but with the 'full alarm' off?

Hope some others have done some digging in this area. If interest is shown I'll follow up here if I get something together.

Regards,
Mark

Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie a giant Rottweiler up in your car?

Sorry I couldn't resist. I have a dual stage alarm in the M Coupe that works well but it's not something that would help with what you are looking for. I'd be curious to learn how a warning could be set up to be sensitive enough to detect the movement of someone approaching the car and not go off from breezes or cars driving by etc.

Perhaps a sign in your car would help? (plus the big mean looking dog )

Old 02-17-2006, 10:44 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
The ones that say, "Please step back. You are too close to the car" just cause people to come close, step back, come close and play around showing everyone what it does.

Earl

Old 02-17-2006, 10:48 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I'd be curious to learn how a warning could be set up to be sensitive enough to detect the movement of someone approaching the car and not go off from breezes or cars driving by etc.
I've walked by some in a parking lot that did this, which got me assuming it was possible. And in my case, I don't care if it falses occasionally because it WON"T be tied into a alarm system that generates a full alarm going off as a next stage. The ones I've seen and am interested in are RF or microwave, and have a sensitivity or 'distance' setting. Other so called warn away systems just chirp on the first occurance of the car being bumped via the shock sensor.

So if they want to play with it a little that's OK

Old 02-17-2006, 01:05 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmatarella
I've got a issue. People like to walk up and take a gander when my car's parked with the top down. I like when they do, but too often I've watched as they lean into the side of the car with belt buckles, coat zippers and the like.

I'd like to have a system that would softly chirp when someone gets REALLY close to the car as I know some alarms do. My preference would to NOT have a full blown alarm as part of that though.
Mark, unfortuantely, you got two problems.

First, those little modules are usually sold as add-ons to real alarms. Try http://www.clifford.com. "Talking" alarms with a human voice were "cool" for awhile but have since gone the way of the Dodo and hula hoop.

The REAL problem with proximity alarms (or any Alarm) is "they" wont care. They will still get close, look in, whatever ... they are kids ... dont care. If its a thief, he/she wont care either because they KNOW nobody else cares. I came out of work the other day and in a big parking lot, sure enuff an alarm was going off. Do you think even ONE person stopped and looked? Nope ... car alarms are ubiquitous ... like cell phones ... no one cares

Second problem is "People like to walk up and take a gander when my car's parked with the top down. I like when they do,
..."
yet you want "protection". I'm not sure you can have your cake and eat it too. If you desire "ogling" but just "dont touch", I'm not sure anything will help because I really believe any chirping ... whatever and the kids will set it off just to hear it chirp. I read the human voice alarm market went dead because kids would throw ***** at the cars just to hear the car "talk".

This isn't like your ogling a "human being" and no better not to touch ... rather, its car ... "they", they masses, probably just wont care.

I know this isn't an answer, just an opinion

Old 02-18-2006, 08:40 PM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Mark, unfortuantely, you got two problems.

No, I'm fine, the rest of the world has the problems

First, those little modules are usually sold as add-ons to real alarms. Try http://www.clifford.com. "Talking" alarms with a human voice were "cool" for awhile but have since gone the way of the Dodo and hula hoop.

Yes the modules are add ons, as I listed in my email. BUT, as an example the DEI 508 D is a self contained RF based, not ultrasonic, module designed to interface to any alarm. On getting the specs I find it simply has a 12v output line that goes high for .5 seconds on a distant trigger (typically just outside the car or adjustable up to several feet) and 1 second on a inside the car intrusion. This as they point out can be used with a alarm, or just a relay to drive the sound maker or device / interface of my choice. And each 'zone' sensitivity is adjustable.

I have no interest in a talking alarm, was just holding it out as a interface example... I said I was going for a chirp... And I saw Hula Hoops in Target last night by the way!!!

The REAL problem with proximity alarms (or any Alarm) is "they" wont care. They will still get close, look in, whatever ... they are kids ... dont care. If its a thief, he/she wont care either because they KNOW nobody else cares. I came out of work the other day and in a big parking lot, sure enuff an alarm was going off. Do you think even ONE person stopped and looked? Nope ... car alarms are ubiquitous ... like cell phones ... no one cares

Some won't care. In my opinion it will make some aware of how close they are a little more careful. And I'm not talking about general all around use. I normally put the top up and lock it. I'm talking about examples like at our breakfast at Sterling and three kids sliding all over the car, and at Carlisle car shows, Britain on the Green, and some other events I do.

Thanks for the insights, but actually I'm not soliciting opinions on whether it'll help. I just want it. I'm looking for any other alarm hackers that might have screwed around with this stuff... I'll take a more optimistic world view and believe that most folks are better than that. I care. I do investigate car alrams. What did YOU do about that alarm?

Second problem is "People like to walk up and take a gander when my car's parked with the top down. I like when they do,
..." yet you want "protection". I'm not sure you can have your cake and eat it too. If you desire "ogling" but just "dont touch", I'm not sure anything will help because I really believe any chirping ... whatever and the kids will set it off just to hear it chirp. I read the human voice alarm market went dead because kids would throw ***** at the cars just to hear the car "talk".

Again, not to beat yet ANOTHER DCMM style horse to death, but I believe it will help in some portion of the cases, I'm not trying to have my cake and eat it too. I'm trying to have half my cake and eat the other half. I'm enough of a realist to know nothing short of a armed guard is going to completely work. And If I catch anyone over 18 years old throwing a ball at the car I'll just tazer em. If they're under 18 I'll tazer their Mom. Really, I don't park places with kids that throw ***** at cars. Sorry but I just don't find that realistic in Mark's world. Maybe other neighberhoods, but not ones I frequent. I'm not looking for absolutes. I think it will be a friendly quiet reminder that'll work for some and I'm happy with that.

This isn't like your ogling a "human being" and no better not to touch ... rather, its car ... "they", they masses, probably just wont care.

Yup, the unwashed masses in part won't care. But it'll be a subtle reminder to those who would care. And human beings I ogle are able to and sometimes do give permission to touch

I know this isn't an answer, just an opinion

Thanks, but don't worry you have to try harder than that to rain on MY parade. I'm happily plowing on with this idea.

Now, anybody out there messed with this stuff, since it's not a question of if I want it, it's a question of has someone else already invented the wheel?

When I first posted I hadn't found that tech sheet on the 508D, and now that I have I know I can indeed easily build it from that and don't need the alarm system at all. Just some low key 12v chime or beep thingie and a relay plus the 508d. The unit goes for about 25 to 30 bucks on Ebay.

After I do this I'll post how well the detector really works, whether it's tuneable that precisely. It may well not but the experiments shaping up to be cheap enough to give it a shot.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:02 AM
yomamali
2nd Gear
I try to close up the roof whenever I leave the MINI... it is difficult to do especially when you are in a hurry and are stepping away for only a few minutes.

...or at the very least, roll up all your windows. Maybe that will help minimize potential scratches from onlookers.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A laminated sign that says "Do not touch this car unless you are naked" may work.

Actually, I always put my top up when leaving the car - after someone left a soiled diaper on my driver's seat in my Miata.

But there is a sensor somewhere in the car that can read how bad you have to use the bathroom. The worse it is, the slower the top takes to close...

Old 02-19-2006, 06:33 AM
yomamali
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
Actually, I always put my top up when leaving the car - after someone left a soiled diaper on my driver's seat in my Miata.
eeewww... gross...

Old 02-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
Attractive Nusinace does not apply

Went through this discussion years ago after someone tied their dog to my Vespa while they went in to shop at a grocery.
Attractive Nusiance applies to swimming pools in a backyard and the like - and mainly absolves children.
The discussion then quickly turned to people who would come out to find people sitting on their Gold Wings. Just because it's parked in the open does not give anybody the right to get on or in.
Having said all that, I don't know what you can really do. If you catch them causing damage you can prosecute, just as jou can if somebody opens their door into you. I think a "Step Back From The Car" alarm would actually invite - particularly kids - to throw things at it to see what triggers the alarm.

Peter
In Denver
Who has fewer people looking at his MCSC as they get more common.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:22 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Thanks for your thoughts...

... on why it won't work. I respect everyones opinion and that's the truth.

None the less, I believe it will help and I'm not trying to debate whether the kids will throw stuff at it etc.

I'd like try and get his thread back on track of a technical discussion with someone who's worked with these type of components.