R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Transformation of Vivian back into "Pretty Woman"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:37 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transformation of Vivian back into "Pretty Woman"

Starting this thread to try and capture journey of rebuilding our latest addition to garage.

2007 Mini Cooper S Cabrio (R52) Sidewalk Edition with factory JCW Kit

The background story behind "Vivian"
Original owner of car purchased at BMW of the Hamptons in May 2007.
Car looks to have been traded in to same dealer in late 2011... and then two different dealers had car in 2012/2013.
In June 2013, someone in Parkersburg, WV purchased the car - kept it until accident reported on 04/18/18

Our Search
My wife's "MINI Convertible Hunt" started after our purchase of daughter's 2010 Mini Cooper S Mayfair "Gus Gus" earlier this year. I honestly can't explain my wife's craziness about this car. I've always loved wrenching on cars -- and have owned several mustangs, a jeep, motorcycle, etc thru the years. But my wife has never really been about cars -- at all -- other than her requirement that all her daily drivers have been Lexus GXs. OMG -- I don't know what has happened with the MINI -- she was on a serious hunt for HER MINI. She would text me pictures of random MINIs she saw in town -- text me MINIs for sale online -- FOR MONTHS! I knew that something really nuts was going on when one weekend she helped me sand/paint/etc my daughter's Mini rims white. She was sanding rims in the garage at 10pm! My thought was... OKAY -- I HAVE TO FIND TERRI HER OWN MINI CONVERTIBLE!

My wife had seriously narrowed down her MINI MUST HAVES: 1st has to be a Convertible, then came that "retro-looking" brown saddle leather interior, then came the "Sidewalk Edition" preference, add that must have "cool" headlight washers, then locked in on R52 style. We found one in Atlanta -- I could go look while on business trip the next week -- nope sold first day.

Completely by "accident" (power of google and internet) -- we found this car online -- but it was in a Coparts auction in Phil, PA -- "totaled" by State Farm.

Buying a "totaled" car and rebuilding it was NOT what my wife had been hunting -- but as swiping thru pictures of the car online -- I spot JCW markings under the hood! I had found a few advertised "JCW" convertibles during our R52 hunt and knew that often people had added various decals etc -- so time to run a VIN -- and oh yeah -- Sidewalk Edition AND factory JCW KIT!

It took quite a bit of negotiating with my wife to let me tackle this project -- but she agreed -- "let's go for it" -- this is a unique car and let's save this car and bring it back to what it should be.

Let's just say that Coparts auction did not go as cheaply as I had planned out project (yeah I'm an engineer - planning cost is what we do!) -- good grief someone else must have spotted dang JCW Kit.

Why "Vivian"?
My wife accidentally referred to the Sidewalk Edition as the "Streetwalker Edition" a few times during our MINI hunt -- and it quickly became an inside joke between us. I've even said gonna put Streetwalker on personalize plate when get car -- my wife would die!

After buying car -- then waiting for carrier (more $$) to move it from PA to Baton Rouge Louisiana -- the name this car game began.

The most beautiful (and expensive) "Streetwalker" of time is of course -- "Vivian Ward" aka Pretty Woman -- and so this Sidewalk Edition has become "Vivian" -- kids calling her "Viv".

Last edited by BTRMayfair; 06-09-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Vivian's VIN Options

VIN ending in TJ44030

Type code Type code RH33
Type COOPER S (USA)
E series R52
Series M
Type CABRIO
Steering LL
Doors 2 2
Engine W11
Displacement 1.6
Power 125
Drive FRONT
Transmission MECH
Color SPARKLING SILVER METALLIC (A60)
Upholstery LEDER ENGLISH/MALT BROWN (LNPR)
Prodtn Date 4/19/2007

Code Description
P7A1A MINI Sidewalk
S1CAA Selection of COP relevant vehicles
S210A Dynamic stability control (DSC)
S226A Sports suspension setting
S249A Multifunction f steering wheel
S255A Sports leather steering wheel
S2RMA MINI LA wheel, night spoke, limp-home
S2TAA Differential lock 25%
S314A Door mirror / driver's lock, heated
S319A Integrated universal remote control
S345A Chrome Line Interior
S346A Chrome Line exterior
S3ALA John Cooper Works Kit
S405A Mirror shrouds in chrome
S431A Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S441A Smoker package
S450A Height adjustment, passenger seat
S470A Isofix-System
S473A Armrest front
S481A Sports seat
S493A Storage compartment package
S494A Seat heating driver/passenger
S4AVA Interior surface Sidewalk
S508A Park Distance Control (PDC)
S520A Fog lights
S521A Rain sensor
S522A Xenon Light
S534A Automatic air conditioning
S546A Revolution counter
S550A On-board computer
S563A Light package
S645A BMW US Radio
S650A CD player
S657A Radio, BMW Business/MINI Boost
S674A Hi-Fi System Harman Kardon
S692A Preparation, BMW 6-CD changer I-bus
S736A 2nd radio remote control
S823A Hot-climate version
S845A Acoustic belt warning
S853A Language version English
S876A Radio frequency 315 MHz
S895A Additional fan
S8SPA Control unit COP
S925A Dummy-SALAPA
S992A Control of number-plate attachment

Old 06-09-2018, 10:43 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Vivian's Copart Pics

Vivian's Copart Pics
(I've started calling these her teaser pics -- because they must have been photo-shopped!"

Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Vivian Arrives in BTR

Carrier delivered Vivian to us in BTR on June 5th -- Tuesday -- and I was out of town.

Terri sent me a few pics of the car when it was finally parked in our driveway -- remember my comments that her #2 requirement was that malt saddle leather interior?

Here are the pics she sent me ... and yes that would be the seams in driver's seat coming apart (and Chris in trouble until seats repaired)

Old 06-09-2018, 11:34 AM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Vivian arrives in BTR -- Daylight pics

That first night, Terri had made it perfectly clear that her seats needed fixed -- but when sun came up I requested some pics showing rest of car

Terri kept using word "filthy" to describe poor Vivian's current state.

Good news -- still looking like just slight exhaust bent, replace trunk lid and bumper cover -- maybe bumper supports,etc underneath -- all parts (minus exhaust) we had already picked up from a donor car in Houston the previous weekend. Yes - Terri hunted initial parts on donor car in Houston -- and had to take a road trip (including Buc-ee's stop x 2 (on way there and on way home)

I'm still trying to figure out how State Farm totaled a car for friggin bumper cover and trunk lid.

Someone must have decided they needed a Cooper S memory

Old 06-09-2018, 12:00 PM
BTRMayfair
2nd Gear
Vivian -- Let the Journey Begin -- Start pics

Finally back home -- and can take a good 1st look at what I've got ahead of me.

Well -- let's just say that Viv has definitely not been properly taken care of by most recent previous owner -- but that's okay -- because I know I can fix her back up to where she deserves to be -- and Terri wants HER MINI -- so I have very flexible budget on rebuilding her !

#1 -- All "major" damage looks to be limited to trunk lid and bumper -- plus small dent near broken passenger tail light. The exhaust seems to have been pushed down when rear-ended -- bent hangers and broke off one hanger from driver's muffler (hole). Sounds like another exhaust leak under the car somewhere when running (will put up on stands later and give full inspection). But so far found no major body damage to car.

#2 -- Lots of maintenance items need some attention -- but my plan all along was to tackle all the typical MINI problem areas before they become problems -- so time to start list of all the parts to replace/change/upgrade

#3 -- Terri will be cleaning this car for awhile... and then cleaning some more! But that's after Vivian is back up ready to run the roads.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Looks like you have a little work ahead. Hopefully Vivian will become Pretty Woman.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 AM
gsfent
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
As a bonus, you realize someone added the gauge package to the tach. That is a very nice option to have. I can't tell from pics, but typically boost and oil temp or oil pressure.

I would be surprised if a good upholstery shop will have much trouble fixing the seat. It looks like both rips are at the seams.

GL with getting her cleaned up!

Regards,
Jerry

Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Enjoyed the back story, GL with Viv.