R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 R52 New Owner - Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 01:03 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R52 New Owner - Questions!

Hello all,

Long time forum member having owned a few different Mini's, but I am back, this time is a gorgeous laser blue R52 which I have only had a few days!

I have a few general questions, hoping someone can help me out!

1) 3 flashes indicator - I am sure my last R53 flashed 3 times when I flicked the indicator? This one only does it once, and I cant find any menu setting to make it 3 flashes?

2) Seats - at some point in the future I would like to swap the full leather front seats from the Grey/Black Recaro ones. Are the fronts a direct swap? Guessing the backs wont be..?

3) Maps update. It is a 2008 model which must make it one of the last R52 years, and I would like to update it to later maps. I used to have a disk I bought off eBay in my last R53 which had all locations of fixed speed cameras on it and a 3D "Perspective" map view - any idea where I can get this? **I am in the UK if that helps**

4) Mine is the JCW version. Is there any benefit to swapping out the paper filter from the airbox for an ITG Foam one?

5) Is there any benefit to swapping the pulley for a 17%? I assume it would be a little more responsive at lower RPMs? How much difference realistically?

6) DAB Radio / USB. I have the HK system also - but would really like to have DAB radio. Are my only options a different aftermarket headunit? Will this still work with MFSW and HK (and sat-nav) ?

I am sure I will have more questions soon!

Thank you for any help

Old 08-16-2016, 03:47 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice looking vert, aero package?
I can only answer 2 questions, the air filter won't be any power increase, the jcw is already quite efficient, maybe a little more sound.
The pulley is worth swapping you will gain power, not as much of course but still worth doing in my opinion if your going to the 17%.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Wow , thats very nice, aero package and the JCW tuning kit , with webspoks. Someone spent some money.

1) 3 flashes indicator - I am sure my last R53 flashed 3 times when I flicked the indicator? This one only does it once, and I cant find any menu setting to make it 3 flashes? This would need coded by MINI dealership or something like NCS expert.

2) Seats - at some point in the future I would like to swap the full leather front seats from the Grey/Black Recaro ones. Are the fronts a direct swap? Guessing the backs wont be..? We did not have factory recaros here in the USA , they did have ones for the convertible rear but they are rare. We do have the gen 2 front seats : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...go-done-3.html

3) Maps update. It is a 2008 model which must make it one of the last R52 years, and I would like to update it to later maps. I used to have a disk I bought off eBay in my last R53 which had all locations of fixed speed cameras on it and a 3D "Perspective" map view - any idea where I can get this? **I am in the UK if that helps** WE did not have the camera here, just a rare retrofit kit which is NLA. We dont have that disc here , do you have a link to it ?

4) Mine is the JCW version. Is there any benefit to swapping out the paper filter from the airbox for an ITG Foam one? Better sound and easy to clean, flows more air when dirty. . Pipercross has a nice one.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Pipercross_JCW/

5) Is there any benefit to swapping the pulley for a 17%? I assume it would be a little more responsive at lower RPMs? How much difference realistically?

Power gain and a quicker SC

6) DAB Radio / USB. I have the HK system also - but would really like to have DAB radio. Are my only options a different aftermarket headunit? Will this still work with MFSW and HK (and sat-nav) ? For aftermarket you will have to have a HK wire harness enabler

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-working.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-16-2016, 06:26 AM
mister.t
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and welcome from another UK based member!

Lovely looking R52, Laser Blue looks so damned good.

To try and answer some of your points;

Originally Posted by futureal33
2) Seats - at some point in the future I would like to swap the full leather front seats from the Grey/Black Recaro ones. Are the fronts a direct swap? Guessing the backs wont be..?
Pretty sure they're a straight swap, I take it you're talking about these?

4) Mine is the JCW version. Is there any benefit to swapping out the paper filter from the airbox for an ITG Foam one?
It wouldn't give a power gain, but you will get more supercharger whine. I'd do it.

17% is probably worth doing, how many miles on the car? Might be worth changing the supercharger oil if it's much above 80k miles before putting a smaller pulley on.

6) DAB Radio / USB. I have the HK system also - but would really like to have DAB radio. Are my only options a different aftermarket headunit? Will this still work with MFSW and HK (and sat-nav) ?
You can get a DAB add-on from Mikey at New MINI Stuff, he's based in Blackpool. That way you keep the original head unit and the use of MFSW.

http://newministuff.com/gateway-pro-...ost-1307-p.asp

ETA: Dammit, just read the description on the link above, don't think it will work with Nav equipped cars :(

Originally Posted by New MINI Stuff website
Plug & play adaptor for 1st gen MINI that integrates DAB digital radio & USB (ipod optional) though the factory Boost CD stereo.
Selection of DAB stations & USB folders etc is all done with the existing stereo controls & the station names & track details all show on the factory stereo - no need for seperate displays.
See the video on our newministuff youtube channel.
NOTE: This kit is designed for 1st gen MINI with CD Boost or CD HK from 2005 or 2006 (& 2007 for cabriolet), the car must not have navigation & if there is a cd changer this must be disconnected.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, the euro factory recaros are super rare, we did not have them in the USA.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-16-2016, 06:44 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Thanks for the help guys

Yep those are the seats, the Grey and Black Recaro's - love them!!
Will give NewMiniStuff a ring, thanks for the heads up!

Love the colour!

I gave the car a 4hour wash, wax, polish, vacuum, bumper shine etc last night, and parked in the sun outside work now it looks superb! Really love the colour

Just about to purchase some BBS CS-4 alloys to go on it, as the web-spokes need a refurb (8yrs old and have started to corrode a bit) which is going to cost me £400!

Old 08-16-2016, 11:38 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts

Hello all,

Long time forum member having owned a few different Mini's, but I am back, this time is a gorgeous laser blue R52 which I have only had a few days!

1) 3 flashes indicator - I am sure my last R53 flashed 3 times when I flicked the indicator? This one only does it once, and I cant find any menu setting to make it 3 flashes?

This needs to be programmed by a MINI dealer or shop, unless you have something like the NCS Expert program and the OBD II connecting cable. There are other convenience features which can be programmed so make your list to get all of them done at the same time.

3) Maps update. It is a 2008 model which must make it one of the last R52 years, and I would like to update it to later maps. I used to have a disk I bought off eBay in my last R53 which had all locations of fixed speed cameras on it and a 3D "Perspective" map view - any idea where I can get this? **I am in the UK if that helps**

The 3D view was a hidden setting of the v32 firmware update, not the actual mapping disc. The firmware disc used to be available for about $10. Some dealers still have them and might update your system for free, or with a small charge. Not sure about the speed cameras though?

Something like the Amsoil nano filter, or a K&N might be better. They're supposed to filter a lot smaller particles than a foam filter. The Amsoil is a dry filter that doesn't need oiling.

Going to 17% would be good, but make sure you get a proper puller for the JCW pulley. A puller for the regular sized SC pulley will destroy the JWC pulley and lead to cutting off with a grinder. Another alternative is keep your JCW pulley and replace your crank pulley with a 2% overdrive pulley for a little more boost. The stock crank pulleys always fail so you'll be doing some preventative maintenance at the same time.

I am sure I will have more questions soon!

Thank you for any help
Replies above in blue. You might try posting these questions on the Minitorque forum as they are based in the UK and should be more familiar with some of the options like the DAB radio, three flashes, and the R53 Recaros.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 08-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
A few pics taken yesterday, after my new wheels were fitted!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow - great pics and a STUNNING car!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The DAB radio is similar to the us HD radio...but still different...try a euro site for more info....
Sunset way to get a bit more power is to get a +2% crank damper....the OEM one WILL fail...so it might be a zero cost upgrade that improves reliability...
As stated, cutting off the jcw pulley is a pain....
Another thought...
Are you 100% sure it is a JCW? Thought the jcw oem filter was a disposable cloth filter...in a jcw box with a flapper on the back....they are $$$ and many do aftermarket ones just to savec$$....reality is a filter is not going to Add hp...foam might add some sound.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 PM
futureal33
4th Gear
Couple of photos from last night:

Ignore the different reg plate numbers, I am toying with a few new plate ideas!

Definitely a JCW, I replaced the filter last night to the ITG foam element!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice shots !

Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R52

Very impressive, great pictures. Is that a pub on the street scene? Which village?

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:38 PM
futureal33
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Very impressive, great pictures. Is that a pub on the street scene? Which village?

Certainly is! That's my local pub - been drinking in there for over 12 years! Its a small village on the outskirts of Preston in Lancashire (North West England)

Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R52

Certainly is! That's my local pub - been drinking in there for over 12 years! Its a small village on the outskirts of Preston in Lancashire (North West England)
You are up north! Drove by Preston taking my kids to Scotland one vacation. My wife's family is all from Tamworth and Birmingham. She used to go to Blackpool on holiday. Of course, I am required to be a West Brom fan. Favorite pub in Tamworth is The Gate.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:07 AM
futureal33
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
You are up north! Drove by Preston taking my kids to Scotland one vacation. My wife's family is all from Tamworth and Birmingham. She used to go to Blackpool on holiday. Of course, I am required to be a West Brom fan. Favorite pub in Tamworth is The Gate.

Small world! My home town (Lytham) is about 3 miles from Blackpool