R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 Stripe color for Cool Blue

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Zak
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripe color for Cool Blue

I recently purchased an 05 cabrio and it came with factory black bonnet stripes but they are peaking off. I am lookin at options and not really sure about what color to go withnext. I really like the Shelby style stripes or the wide single racing strip but not sure if I want black, dark grey, dark blue or??? Its tough finding picks of cool blue R52's with stripes. What are some of gut thoughts? Im thinking about adding bonnet & boot stripes and possibly a side stripe as my car Lois more purple than blue at times and the black stripes on thebonnet seem to bring out more of the blue color.

Also who makes the best stripes? I've seen oem mini, mighty mini and cooper flags. Any other companies to look at?

Thanks
zak

Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Aesthetic Creations did the graphics on my Cool Blue cabrio, using dark metallic blue vinyl:

Old 03-05-2011, 05:59 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
VERY NICE, ScottRiqui. I'm not sure what those graphics are, but they are beautiful.
I love Cool Blue and was this close to ordering it back when I got El Kabong. I don't remember why I changed my mind, especially now after seeing these pics .
I think there are tons of colors that look great on Cool Blue, black, dark silver, dark blue. Personally I always thought a Cool Blue totally blacked out would be hot! And a fun project, too.
Annette

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Zak
Neutral
I was thinking about blacking it out but my wife is not that thrilled about that idea. I need to add some black to it at least. I might add black side mirrors but really browsing the internet looking for stripes. I've seen some beautiful stripes on 60's race cars that I like a lot. Maybe a wide viper type strip that runs 3/4 of the hood then towards the windshield it turns 90 degrees goes over the fenders and runs along the middle of the door to the rear of the car. The side needs more black as my cool blue color looks much to purple. I've seen other cool blue's that look more blue but maybe mine is an odd ball.

I'm also thinking about instead of black stripes/accents doing more of a gunmetal. Taking my basic rims off, giving them a high gloss gun metal finish. My rims are beat up a bit and IMO not the most attractive of styles. I don't have the cash for the rims I really want so maybe see how much to refinish what I have.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Zak
Neutral
And Scott, I love your side stripe design! Where did you come up with the pattern?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Funny how most girls don't warm up to a blacked out car right away. I did NOT like the look back when I got El Kabong, but this time around (for my '11 Horizon Blue/Black) I am completely obsessed LOL.
Check out these graphics guys if you haven't already. They have some very unique stripes (I'm kind of partial to the swirls for some reason). I've read where quite a few NAMers in the US have ordered from them and done their own installs or found a sign shop to do it and have been pleased.
https://www.mini-graphics.co.uk/
Personally, I'm getting all my graphics done by Aesthetic Creations since I knew exactly what I wanted and can have him do the install at the dragon.
Annette

Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Zak
And Scott, I love your side stripe design! Where did you come up with the pattern?
Actually, Mike at Aesthetic Creations came up the design. I just told him that I wanted something "technical-looking" with a color that would be noticeable against the Cool Blue, but still be a little subtle. The numbers and letters on the side are my autocross class & number.

As for the pattern itself, Mike said that he based it on the Borg writing from the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" TV show. He found a "Borg Font" and started with that:

I don't have the graphics any more (I took them off after three years of parking the car outside because I wanted to remove them before they got too hard to remove.) I'm still trying to decide what to do next.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Zak
Neutral
Now that is cool. I'm not a huge star trek fan but that is a very very original idea. Hmmm maybe some Tolkien elvish language script for me.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 PM
cdelp
Neutral
To stripe or not to stripe!

I say ney, be gone with the stripes once and for all! Feast your eyes on the cool clean look before you. Marvel at the uninterupted color changes. Enjoy the envy of your fellow Mini drivers!