R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 What's your Open Motoring number?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:49 AM
LIWexler
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your Open Motoring number?

I am about to take delivery on my new S convertible. I have had numerous heated discussions with some of my convertible owning co-workers (none of them Minis) about when to put the top down. We live in a climate (Wisconsin) that can offer extremes in temperature (sometimes in the same day). Why buy a convertible if you are never going to open the top?

My question is... When you open the garage door in the morning and look at the thermometer, what is the minimum temperature you have found it comfortable to go "Open"? I have one co-worker who claims he puts the top down every time it is above 60 degrees, and never colder. I have seen him with the top closed on 58 degree mornings. I have had my sunroof wide open on my current car on some 50 degree mornings and been just fine, but don't know what to expect in a convertible.

I know what the "contract" says, but I am looking for some sage advise from the people who have been there. So please tell me what is your open motoring "number"

08 MCSC, BRG Blk top, Blk Bonnet strps, premium and cold weather

Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM
WOODSTOCK
1st Gear
Actually, here in NW WA, I don't go by a magic temp number - I just go by when it's not raining or misting or showering or snowing or anything falling from the sky! If it's sunny, it's down. Doesn't matter what the temp is - isn't that why I have heated seats? I love it when it's freezing outside and I can put on a fleece jacket, a pair of gloves (essential) and motor with the top down!

I will confess, however, that they have been a couple of situations where it's been too hot to put the top down - like when we came through Atlanta last year and it was 109 degrees. We opted for every bit of air conditioning power that time with the top up. Way too hot.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
'Rita
2nd Gear
California Wimp Here...

I have an arsenal of full length coats so my bottom line is about 52 degrees. Upper end is around 88 in full sun, although I'm good at sunset up to 100.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 AM
AliceCpr07
4th Gear
as long as its 45 degrees---the top is down

doesnt matter how hot it gets.

it was down last week when it was 115 heat index

Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 AM
The Red Wolf
3rd Gear
This one of the more common questions in the Cabrio forum.

On the low end, many variables- attire (I keep earmuffs in the car for myself and a passenger), windows up/down, heater and seats, length of drive and speed, etc., but for me, below 40F is starting to get chilly, though I'll regularly drive with down down/windows up down to 30F or so. My record is 23F.

My observation is that while I'm a bit extreme in driving with top down in cooler weather, MINI owners by far, drive top down the most. I notice that most other convertibles don't put the top down until the 1st of June or later (at least 70F), which for the life of me I'll never understand.

Here in Indiana after 2 years of ownership, I have yet to find "too hot"- except when I'm dressed up for a nice dinner or similar, but I find 90F is no problem.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM
iblack
1st Gear
I've found that it depends on how acclimated you are to the current temperature. If it's been in the 40s and 50s recently and it suddenly jumps to 60, you'll likely feel fine with the top down. If it was recently in the 80s and it drops to 60, you'll likely be cold.

Personally, I've found that 60 is about the cutoff for me (in Washington DC), but in the early spring I'll occasionally have the top down when it's in the 50s since it seems warm at the time.

HTH,
Ivan

Old 06-24-2008, 03:08 PM
cooper8168
4th Gear
60 to 95 is my range.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i find it about 70 si good....BUT whenever i read clear day and can wear no jacket needed... TOPS down

Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
26 degrees- in the cold. 110 degrees (HI)- in the heat.

Ideally 40+ degrees.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
For those of you that are driving in the cold, with gloves, fleece jackets etc, are you doing so with the windows up or down. I personally cannot stand to see a convertible with the top down and the windows up. In those temps I prefer top up and windows down if it's too cold for "ALL" down motoring.
Just my 2 cents though..

Sorry, not trying to hi-jack thread..

Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
cooper8168
4th Gear
Originally Posted by N2MINI
For those of you that are driving in the cold, with gloves, fleece jackets etc, are you doing so with the windows up or down.
On those rare occasions when I drive topless at temps below 55 or so, I leave the windows up and also may have Brownflyer's windscreen up as well. It really does do a good job of holding the heat in the front compartment. I don't care if I look like a doofus.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM
AliceCpr07
4th Gear
i also leave the windows up so that the heat from the front vents stays in

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Granted, I live in So Cal, where the temp rarely dips below 50.... I generally have the top down unless it's raining or drizzling, wearing a light jacket with the windows up if it is under 60 +/_. This morning it was about 58 and overcast, which I find to be great topless motoring weather. Helps wake me up on the way to work.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 PM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
Driver window down, passenger window up.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
joshamman
4th Gear
if the sun is out, the top is down. Im in Michigan, so similar weather. Temp doesnt matter (unless the Mrs is along). I keep a bomber hat, and huge fleece gloves in the car in winter. And all windows always down....

As the first post says "whats the point of owning a convertible if you don't put the top down"

It was 70 and sunny today, and I passed at least 3 people with tops up (not minis) and I yelled at everyone "put your top down!"

http://www.uswings.com/avcap.asp $25

Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Goodwood
3rd Gear
heated seats? use 'em... then turn the heat on... with the top down the heat comes out of those floor vents and just rises up over you... keeps you warmer than you might think... 30 or 40 degrees isn't out of the question, maybe lower, depends on you.

whatever you do, don't drive around with the top down and the windows up... that's just plain stupid looking, IMHO.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
dustybottoms
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper8168
60 to 95 is my range.
I agree but - If I'm in it - the top is down... below 60 and above 95 I'm in the
cayenne. (I prefer the mini)

Old 06-26-2008, 05:31 AM
MINIFVR
6th Gear
See I love sub 60 degree weather the best...like 50-55. You can have the heat on and a sweatshirt or jacket and be warm, and comfortable. Not to mention more power coming from the motor.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Here's what I have found myself doing since owning the car:

Below 50 top up
50>60 top down, windows and windscreen up
60>70 top down, windscreen up
70> all down

Here in CO the sun is a powerful influence. If the sun is out, you can lower these temps by 5 - 10 degree's.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:06 AM
LIWexler
1st Gear
Thanks... I will let you know what my number is once I experience it

Thank you everyone for your replies. My baby is on a ship which just docked in Charleston this morning. It is so close I can taste it.

I look forward to my memebrship in the slightly crazy group of Midwestern convertible owners. I also look forward to going topless much more then my whimpy co-workers, and your replies have helped me realize that it is possible to do that more then I thought.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:45 AM
AliceCpr07
4th Gear
oh and just an FYI....

my MA told me about the 35mph rule when getting caught in the rain with the top down (that as long as you go faster than 35mph, the rain goes straight over the top of the car- and you dont get wet)

i tried it a few weeks back- when i got caught in a sudden down pour-- and it worked!!

it let me get to an overpass 5 miles down the road where i could pull over and put the top up

Old 06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
mmatarella
6th Gear
Top down, sceen and windows up down to the mid 40's. The windscreen is the biggest factor in me having the top open on cooler days. I love it.

On the cooler end a lot depends on two factors. If it's sunny it seems warmer and I'll run top down at a lower temp. Speed. My commute has a max speed limit of 45mph. Top down at 40 degrees can be nice then... If I'm on the Interstate at 70mph I'll find that too cold.

If you see me with the top up on a nice day it's because my passenger doesn't want her hair messed up. It's rare to see my top up. Once in the winter I arrived at a local MINI club function with the top up and sunroof closed and several people were stunned enough to ask what was going on. They were so used to me always being top down. I was just getting over being sick so had not wanted to get a chill.

Last edited by mmatarella; 06-26-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM
LIWexler
1st Gear
I have tried it in my cousins' TR6 and it worked also... Nobody ever believes it.

My problem is I am below 35mph for a good chunk of my commute

Old 06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
I was on the highway last night and got caught in the rain. It seems there are many factors which play into this including size of rain drops and how hard it's raining. 35 might work in a drizzle, but yesterday's experience showed me that going over 70 there was no problem, but slowing down to 40 for a construction zone we got wet. In between these speeds the rain was gradiently lower or higher as a function of speed. 70 and higher was optimal for staying completely dry.

Originally Posted by AliceCpr07
oh and just an FYI....

my MA told me about the 35mph rule when getting caught in the rain with the top down (that as long as you go faster than 35mph, the rain goes straight over the top of the car- and you dont get wet)

i tried it a few weeks back- when i got caught in a sudden down pour-- and it worked!!

it let me get to an overpass 5 miles down the road where i could pull over and put the top up

Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
I've never tried driving with the top-down in the rain... but I have seen it done.

50F is my starting point... especially if its sunny. now that we're entering summer, if there's no rain, the top stays down. I'll wear a hat and put on some sunscreen and I'm good to go

too hot?? what do you mean it's too hot?!?!?

Quick Reply: R52 What's your Open Motoring number?