R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Shift Linkage Recall or What?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 01:22 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know what is really going on with this?? Is it true that MINI issued the "official" recall yesterday? What's the recall Number? DAMN IT ALL! My car was in the shop yesterday for them to fix this before it happened (I too was told by MINI that my car was affected but never got a frellin' letter!) but the dealership REFUSED to perform the shifter linkage fix on my car because of some BS about they didn't get the ok for my specific VIN# on my "DCS" from MINI yet! So they had my car ALL day and did NOTHING to it! MAJOR INCONVENIENCE, let me tell you! Why didn't they tell me this over the phone before having me make an appointment to bring it in and get someone to drive me to work and back to pick it up in rush hour LA traffic? I'm PO'd if I have to take it back in now that it's an "official" recall!!!!! This is absurd. The head doesn't know what the hands are doing here! MINI needs to communicate with those BMW service centers a helluva lot better. And BMW acts like they resent having to deal with MINI. ALSO, MINI does not offer a loaner car while you're MINI is in the shop, even for warranty work. Does anyone else think this is jacked? I AM STEAMING MAD. I'm still waiting on a call from MINI US headquarters in New Jersey to see what's going on here.

I'm done ranting. Thank you

Old 07-31-2002, 01:51 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
You have every right to rant and to be PO'd. Hell the BBC even announced the recall yesterday. Give your dealers service department a smack, and tell them to get their act together. I don't know the recall # but someone out there does I'm sure.

Old 07-31-2002, 01:55 PM
cs5887
2nd Gear
>>Does anyone know what is really going on with this?? Is it true that MINI issued the "official" recall yesterday? What's the recall Number? DAMN IT ALL! My car was in the shop yesterday for them to fix this before it happened (I too was told by MINI that my car was affected but never got a frellin' letter!) but the dealership REFUSED to perform the shifter linkage fix on my car because of some BS about they didn't get the ok for my specific VIN# on my "DCS" from MINI yet! So they had my car ALL day and did NOTHING to it! MAJOR INCONVENIENCE, let me tell you! Why didn't they tell me this over the phone before having me make an appointment to bring it in and get someone to drive me to work and back to pick it up in rush hour LA traffic? I'm PO'd if I have to take it back in now that it's an "official" recall!!!!! This is absurd. The head doesn't know what the hands are doing here! MINI needs to communicate with those BMW service centers a helluva lot better. And BMW acts like they resent having to deal with MINI. ALSO, MINI does not offer a loaner car while you're MINI is in the shop, even for warranty work. Does anyone else think this is jacked? I AM STEAMING MAD. I'm still waiting on a call from MINI US headquarters in New Jersey to see what's going on here.
>>
>>I'm done ranting. Thank you

Sorry~ to hear about your dilemma! BTW~ where is the MINI US headquarter in New Jersey? I live in NJ and would like to know for future reference. Thanks !
GOOD LUCK!! looking to receive my mini March 03' maybe~ by then MINI will iron out all the rough spots.

Old 07-31-2002, 02:17 PM
Espo
Neutral
The problem I had was when the car came in to the dealership from NJ. They held the car because of, what they said was transmission problems. They replaced the transmission before they delivered my car. 5 Speed.

Old 07-31-2002, 04:21 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
I found a link that lists the recall. It doesn't have the official BMW recall number I don't think but it is the NHTSA Recall database, and its my guess the US Govt. doesn't make these things up.(the aliens in Roswell on the other hand... ) Well here's the link just scroll down a bit. The VIN range of the cars effected is TC30066-TC34812(thanks to "Sterling Guy" on roadfly),(and thanks to David Scott and Sean Bartnik for the tip to the NHTSA recall link(also on roadfly)) I hope this helps. Print off the screen of recalls and shove it down the throat...er... show it to the snotty service guy that refused to do the preventative work. NHTSA Recall site.. I just hate it when service deptments act like buttheads.

Old 07-31-2002, 06:39 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Well, here's what's going on according to MINI USA directly:
Even if your manual Cooper was made between Dec 2001 and May 2002 AND your VIN# falls within the range TC30066-TC34812 (they're still denying it's a "recall&quot, it depends on your car's DCS, which is it's history. So, eventhough my car is of those VIN#'s, they claim my specific car is not affected based upon further investingation into its DCS. I still do not understand how they know this or why it did not affect my car if nothing has been replacing since it was manufactured. Needless to say, If I experience a linkage failure in the near future there will be hell to pay for this run-around. :evil: It's reckless endangerment if they know about the problem and still refuse and deny its existence. I'll just have to wait and see.

Old 07-31-2002, 07:44 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:evil: That is really unacceptable!

Sorry for your troubles, Tracy.

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-31-2002, 07:59 PM
drstevenj
3rd Gear
I would ask to speak with the owner of the dealership, and ask that he/she verify that my car is not affected. Even if it is possible that it is affected, I would ask that the repair be made (I have already asked that this cable be checked when my car comes in, and that they verify that the new cable is on the car).

If that wasn't satisfactory, I would be inclined to have an attorney write a brief letter to your dealership, stating you brought your car to their shop (date) to repair this problem, that you informed them of your concerns and that you were responding to information that a recall was immanent. You could include that you left your car there for the entire day, and although there was ample opportunity to perform this inexpensive repair, the dealer informed you that your car was not affected, based on their research, and that the repair would not be made. You could add that you are still quite concerned. I would address it to the dealership as a corporation, BMW, and the owner of the dealership.
Boy I would be pissed. Is there another dealer?