R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Dealer Markup vs. MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Damon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I don't understand this whole dealer markup business. I bought mine from MINI of Concord the first 10 minutes they were in business and paid a $1900.00 markup. I wasn't thrilled but it was better than paying $3000 to $5000 for a bunch of junk like LoJack and paint protection that I didn't want. At the time there was no negotiating since there were only nine cars for sale and about 30 people in line. Concord does first come, first serve. The thing is that all auto dealers (except SAAB, poor bastards can't sell a car) are just marking everything up. I went and looked at Hyudai Sonatas and there was a markup of $2500, Suburu was $1200, Mercedes was $4500, BMW M3 had a $19000 markup, all the 5 series have a $8-12000 markup, Honda S2000-$5000. I thought that the sticker price was what the car is supposed to cost, not a starting point. Have people been getting MINIs at MSRP? If so How?

BRG Cooper

Old 07-30-2002, 05:42 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If one is willing to wait, Long Beach MINI in SoCal sells MSRP. I placed my order there with no deposit required on 5/25, got prod. # 6/10, scheduled for 7/19 production (on Owners Lounge 7/6), production was actually completed on 7/15, loaded on vessel (Aquarius Leader) on 7/25, due at Port Hueneme on 8/19. I hope to have MINIclo within a week after that. I don't mind waiting. Gave me exactly what I wanted and time to raise the funds. Just wanted a MINI for my October 10 birthday, so I'm very pleased!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-30-2002, 05:58 PM
sirron
5th Gear
>>If one is willing to wait, Long Beach MINI in SoCal sells MSRP. I placed my order there with no deposit required on 5/25, got prod. # 6/10, scheduled for 7/19 production (on Owners Lounge 7/6), production was actually completed on 7/15, loaded on vessel (Aquarius Leader) on 7/25, due at Port Hueneme on 8/19. I hope to have MINIclo within a week after that. I don't mind waiting. Gave me exactly what I wanted and time to raise the funds. Just wanted a MINI for my October 10 birthday, so I'm very pleased!
>>
>> :smile:

Old 07-30-2002, 05:59 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>> I went and looked at Hyudai Sonatas and there was a markup of $2500, Suburu was $1200, Mercedes was $4500, BMW M3 had a $19000 markup, all the 5 series have a $8-12000 markup, Honda S2000-$5000. I thought that the sticker price was what the car is supposed to cost, not a starting point. Have people been getting MINIs at MSRP? If so How?>>>>

Subarus at $1200 markup? Which ones??? I was in the market for a WRX before I found out about the MCS and was able to get $1500 off of sticker.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Sportech
2nd Gear
I ordered and S at Flow Mini in Greensboro NC with no markup. The wait is 10 months at this time (July 20, 2002). I then read (here) that Mini of Charleston had Coopers and S's on the lot and got one from there with only $169 "administrative fee" and the people were great. So it is possible to buy at MSRP.

Yellow and Black Cooper S

Old 07-30-2002, 06:03 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal

Sirron:

From reading the other boards and messaging many happy customers from Long Beach, I am anticipating no surprises. Believe me, if they try to pull anything at the last minute, I will post it immediately. The motoring associates at Long Beach actually read the MINI Cooper message boards, and know that they must uphold their, to date, very high standards, in order to build a solid dealership and maintain what has become, even this early in the game, an excellent reputation. We shall soon (I hope in late August) see!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-30-2002, 06:15 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
I had mentioned this in other posts on other subjects. I've worked in the auto industry in various capacities and to answer your question, MSRP simply means the manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price. Given supply and demand, popularity and availability, cars sell for above and below that price all the time. The Datsun Z, the PT Cruiser, the new Ford T-bird, the X5 Bmw, the Z3 and even several Ferrari models are all examples of this. Yes, the MSRP is basically a starting point, especially with popular cars. Dealers also play various games, depending on their own financing (flooring) arrangements. Allocations are also sometimes based on previous year/quarter sales. Long Beach is a great example here. I understand that specially ordered cars can be bought at straight MSRP but, how many are they selling in that fashion? I understand they have a long wait list to place an order. If you buy a car "off the floor" that they've been allocated they add LoJack, aftermarket wheels and tires and various addons (mandatory) at some mark up. Check out their website, they list the cars. At least, they seem pleasant to deal with. Other dealers seem to pump up the prices even higher and worse yet are simply arrogant beyond belief. But, this is America. Whatever the market will bear is the price. It ain't illegal. It's a great car, in small supply, with world wide distribution. I just believe you've got to decide what you think its worth and the best yard stick is comparing to other cars. I paid 22k for a Cooper with a sports package and a CD changer and other options, all of which I picked. I paid about 2k over MSRP. Bottom line with the financing, gas mileage, insurance costs etc. I am more than convinced 22k is a fine price for the car, MSRP be damned! If you think the price you can find is fair, I say Motor on

Old 07-30-2002, 06:31 PM
Friar
1st Gear
>>Ok, I don't understand this whole dealer markup businessHave people been getting MINIs at MSRP? If so How?
>>
>>_________________
>>Damon
>>
>>BRG Cooper

For me is just something I wanted, I was alittle more prepared I suspose, I followed the PT Cruiser for the moment I heard about it getting updates from chrylser including paint chips. When I finally got to see one the dealer had "1" no way to order and I could enter a contest to WIN the right to pay only $1000.00 over msrp. I walked over to the car and reached for a door handle.....plastic... my wife saw a whole new side of me that day. I bought another car for transportation and waited for something else to come along... MOTOR ON!
Bought in GA @msrp and well I had to pay for the mats.

Friar
My mini is on a boat my mini is on a boat my mini is on a boat

Old 07-30-2002, 06:35 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>>Long Beach is a great example here. I understand that specially ordered cars can be bought at straight MSRP but, how many are they selling in that fashion? I understand they have a long wait list to place an order. <<

The reason they HAVE a long wait list is BECAUSE so many people are ordering spec MINIs! For several weeks, they had no floor models. They were waiting for delivery of the specs. I happened to be visiting (part of this illness called MINIMANIA, I guess ), when my motoring associate asked if I wanted to see the new cars that had been delivered that morning. It was their first delivery in weeks, due to the problems with the WW cargo firm's resurfacing the car park mess. The cars that people bail on, for whatever unknown reason, are then tricked out for max profit, which, as you also said, is not illegal. I notice that since last week, when they have MINIs available, they list each added item AND its price. I think that's fine -- no bait & switch. Other L.A. area dealerships are marking up by THOUSANDS of $$$, and you get NOTHING for those thousands. I think my rant is over now!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-30-2002, 08:08 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought my Cooper S at Westchester MINI for MSRP with NO mark-up or forced accessories (the choice to get the bonnet stripes, rubber mats, and R90 wheels was entirely my own).

I paid the price from the accessories catalog for the wheels and mats (the bonnet stripes were thrown in for free as part of the sport package). Then Westchester swapped my 17" runflats over to the R90's and wrapped up my S-lites, placing them in the back seat (seats down) for my trip home. I paid labor to swap the tires. A totally legit charge considering that wasn't part of normal delivery prep.

Old 07-30-2002, 08:30 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
<<Long Beach is a great example here. I understand that specially ordered cars can be bought at straight MSRP but, how many are they selling in that fashion? I understand they have a long wait list to place an order. If you buy a car "off the floor" that they've been allocated they add LoJack, aftermarket wheels and tires and various addons (mandatory) at some mark up.>>

Actually, I bought my Cooper at Long Beach at MSRP, no money down, and it was not a specially ordered car. They had a BRG coming in about 3 weeks, no name on it, and they sold it like that. They don't always mark up the BMW-randomly-assigned MINIs, especially if you can get your name on one before it hits their lot, and even then, their add-ons are cheaper than everyone else's mark-ups. I'm all for making money, but as I've posted B4, All the incoming MINIs for the next year or so are guaranteed sales. No doubt about it. I've also said this is the first car out of many that I've bought at MSRP, and only because it was a MINI.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 07-30-2002, 09:43 PM
cdrober
2nd Gear
I got my S at Bill Jacobs MINI in Chicago. It was a pre-speced car and I had to pay nothing over the sticker price, not even on accesories. Actually, because the parts department was closed when I picked up my car, I didn't even get the floor mats from them. They are great as long as you don't mind the drive home, and they have MCSs coming in all the time, just give them a call.

Old 07-30-2002, 10:05 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>>>>I notice that since last week, when they have MINIs available, they list each added item AND its price. I think that's fine -- no bait & switch. >>

OOPS! I left out a phrase. My message should have read, in part: "....when they have MINIs available, THEY LIST THEM ONLINE (UNDER THE FAQ's SECTION), where they list each added item AND its price...."

Sorry for any confusion caused by my boo-boo!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 07-31-2002, 07:18 AM
Rokk1
3rd Gear
I ordered my MINI from Checkered Flag MINI in Virginia Beach for MSRP. They have a good amount of MINI's in stock if you don't want a special ordered one. They are straight forward and don't play silly dealer games like I have heard in connection with other MINI dealers.

Old 07-31-2002, 09:41 AM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
>>>>Long Beach is a great example here. I understand that specially ordered cars can be bought at straight MSRP but, how many are they selling in that fashion? I understand they have a long wait list to place an order. <<
>>
>>The reason they HAVE a long wait list is BECAUSE so many people are ordering spec MINIs! For several weeks, they had no floor models. They were waiting for delivery of the specs. I happened to be visiting (part of this illness called MINIMANIA, I guess

Old 07-31-2002, 12:16 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
>>>>>>>>>>
If Long Beach is the "saint" of all dealers, then more power to them.
>>

See you in Huntington Beach 8/18, where we can continue bickering???

Cheers, Mr. Squirrel!
Clover

Old 07-31-2002, 04:10 PM
zwoman
3rd Gear
>>The thing is that all auto dealers (except SAAB, poor bastards can't sell a car) are just marking everything up. I went and looked at Hyudai Sonatas and there was a markup of $2500, Suburu was $1200, Mercedes was $4500, BMW M3 had a $19000 markup, all the 5 series have a $8-12000 markup, Honda S2000-$5000. I thought that the sticker price was what the car is supposed to cost, not a starting point. Have people been getting MINIs at MSRP? If so How?
>>
>>_________________
>>Damon
>>

Damon, I hear you...we've been looking at cars for about a year now and noticed mostly the same thing. What I think is the ultimate though, is how they pass it off on the sticker:
$189 for paint protection
$89 for designer side-stripes
$2000 ADM
<me at the Nissan dealer> "What's ADM?" <response> "umm, that's the uh, additional dealer markup." <my response> "oh...see ya!"

Old 08-02-2002, 10:19 AM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear

>>See you in Huntington Beach 8/18, where we can continue bickering???
>>

Old 08-02-2002, 01:54 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal

>>>>>>>>Bickering, who's bickering? I really don't get that, at all. Must be an age thing since I, too, am a geezer.

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-02-2002, 02:49 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear

>> :smile: :smile: DEFINITELY going to try and make it to HB. Noticed from another post that you're waiting for your car. Hope you get it before then. By the way, we're not geezers, just experienced. And the wheel thing is a matter of our good taste and sense, not a matter of "advancing" age.

Old 08-02-2002, 05:56 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal

>> :smile: :smile: DEFINITELY going to try and make it to HB. Noticed from another post that you're waiting for your car. Hope you get it before then. By the way, we're not geezers, just experienced. And the wheel thing is a matter of our good taste and sense, not a matter of "advancing" age.<<

Looking forward to meeting eveyone!

Cheers!
Clover