R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 real car or toy???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:46 PM
badbrad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm currently in the market for a new car, and i have loved the mini since i saw it as a concept quite a few years back. i have a question and i figured i should check with the real mini folks, how many of you have your mini as a primary car? i now drive an explorer and the mini would replace it. i am not looking for a toy, i already have a toyed up miata. if i need a larger car for trips or whatever i can take my wifes 300m, but i don't want to get something that is totally impractical. thanks for any help or advice.
brad

Old 04-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Calvin77
5th Gear
The MINI is my only car, and daily driver.
In my opinion, MUCH more practical than one would think. For me, it's the perfect size for my everyday activities.

So to answer your post title, MINI= Real car AND toy!

Then again, I'm not married and have no kids..

Old 04-01-2003, 04:04 PM
gocart29
2nd Gear
Brad,

Welcome to MCO! I'll treat your post as straightforward and not an April Fool's joke of a question.
Tim

Old 04-01-2003, 04:14 PM
majormini
3rd Gear
>>i'm currently in the market for a new car, and i have loved the mini since i saw it as a concept quite a few years back. i have a question and i figured i should check with the real mini folks, how many of you have your mini as a primary car? i now drive an explorer and the mini would replace it. i am not looking for a toy, i already have a toyed up miata. if i need a larger car for trips or whatever i can take my wifes 300m, but i don't want to get something that is totally impractical. thanks for any help or advice.
>> brad

First of all, WELCOME to MCO :smile: :smile:
My MINI is not my primary car. However, the wife and I did take an extended trip
from Memphis to Atlanta recently and the MINI was, if not more, more comfortable than the wife's Lumina. Plenty of room for luggage, cooler, and ect. Put it on curise, leaned back and enjoyed

Sam

Old 04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
jsun
6th Gear
i now drive an explorer and the mini would replace it.
Well, you may miss the exploding tires...but once you get used to having all 4 wheels on the ground most of the time, you'll love the MINI!

Seriously, my MCS is my daily driver and I find it absolutely perfect for that use.

Old 04-01-2003, 04:44 PM
mpemburn
4th Gear
My MINI is definitely not a toy! It is replacing our ancient, gas guzzling F-150 as my daily driver. Granted, I chose the MINI primarily because of its retro styling and undeniable panache. That said, I still feel that I've made a good choice in terms of safety, economy and reliability. Time will tell whether this confidence will bear out.

Old 04-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Real Car

I've had mine for 7.5 months (the car that is) and just went over 15,000 miles.
I've had the leaky coolant tank, never caused any problem just a seep then found it's own level and stayed there until I could find time to get it serviced, while in for my 10,000 mile service they found the o-ring seep on the water pump. Had that replaced about a week later and I still love it!

Drive the car, get the car. Everyone is surprised by the amount of room up front. I've driven 8 hours straight 580+ miles 4 times in those 7+ months and felt great, except a few mussels that hurt; The ones used in the process of smiling!!!!

Great car for a daily driver, that loves to drive. If you're going to do office work and talk on the phone, stay in one that isn't as responsive to input from the driver.

Just my $0.02

xenons
fogs
16 inch v-spoke

Old 04-01-2003, 04:50 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey!

My MCS is my daily driver and I think it's perfect. It's toted luggage, along with major portions of my life crammed into the back and it's actually surprisingly roomy. Since I'm finishing up undergrad, I anticipate NUMEROUS road trips with a full hatch (and backseat... and front co-pilot chair...) and I can't imagine having any difficulties. Going to the grocery store has never been so much fun, and I've yet to come up short on space. Best part, though, is that you get all the sniglet 1/2 parking spaces (that you and your explorer could only dream of) so there's never a praking shortage, either! I agree with whomever said that it was both a real car, AND a toy. I also agree with the recommendation to get the S... Awesome little car.

Good luck,
~Kelley

Old 04-01-2003, 06:33 PM
CUTiger3
3rd Gear
Our MCS is my daily driver, and the funnest car I have owned. Highly recommended

Old 04-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Tnwriter
Neutral
After my 1989 Volvo died on me last Thursday I took that as an omen and did what I'd been wanting to do for over a year, hell, for longer than that since I've wanted a Mini when I first heard they were coming out. So I borrowed my wife's Trailblazer and headed over to the local dealership in Atlanta. That night I had a blue one in my garage. Not an "S." I don't subscribe to the notion that an "S" is monumentally better. I've got the premium package and sport package together. 16" wheels, more bells and whistles than I really needed ($19,900 – about the max I wanted to pay). And it's got plenty of pep (yes, I've test driven an "S&quot. Getting to your original question, this is my daily driver. And here's the punchline: I'm 6'2", about 215 and have two kids, 6 and 12 (they're as giddy about the car as I am).

So I'm basing my experiences over a little less than a week. But I've wanted this car for so long I feel like I've been driving it forever. As my father-in-law says, "you've bonded." Performance is wonderful. Although it's deceptively roomy, it's a small car, and you have to accept that. Once that's over with, you won't feel cramped, I promise. Sure, get the "S," but this is our second car, so I just couldn't go that high. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2003, 10:59 PM
CraigRasmussen
3rd Gear
I own a F-150 that I use for hauling lumber, manure, and trash.

I own a MCS that I use for everything else.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:52 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Craig.........as long as you're hauling manure with your F 150, want to put my Mazda Tribute in there with it.......same thing! I'm trading the Mazda Tribute for the MCS due in June. Do not need the gas bill and all the useless space of the SUV. The MINI will also be our daily driver, and am very content with that decision.

Old 04-02-2003, 04:24 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
>>i'm currently in the market for a new car, and i have loved the mini since i saw it as a concept quite a few years back. i have a question and i figured i should check with the real mini folks, how many of you have your mini as a primary car? i now drive an explorer and the mini would replace it. i am not looking for a toy, i already have a toyed up miata. if i need a larger car for trips or whatever i can take my wifes 300m, but i don't want to get something that is totally impractical. thanks for any help or advice.
>> brad

I love my MCS... that said....

I have taken many ~2 hour trips and it is very comfortable (I have the sport seats). One of the only problems I have is keeping the speed down as it is such a smooth ride. (Well I think so even with the 17" wheels) I often end up putting down the back seats on these long trips to put stuff in it but the typicall run to the grocery store I don't. (Though I may have to throw a bag or two in the rear seats.

I consider it my toy but it's also my daily driver. It's strongest point by far is the handling and it's an absolute blast to drive. After the test drive it was no question for me to get it. While it doesn't have quite the room the Explorer does, I think it is more practical unless you really need all that space.

I like to think I have the best of both worlds, a dodge RAM 1500 for moving stuff and the MINI Cooper S for a daily driver. Definately worth getting.
-Chris

Old 04-02-2003, 05:00 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
BB,

Sounds like you've got your priorities straight, a large luxo-barge for the wifey, a modified sportscar for the week-end, now all you need is a daily driver. Three words of advise, GET THE MINI. You'll be glad you did. Unless you're a traveling salesman who's got to keep many samples of your wares on hand, the MINI should be practical for most commuter related travel. It will carry two adults very comfortably, and four adults for trips up to a couple of hours without fatal backseatitus setting in. If your tastes run towards the wickedly agile and quick, go for the MCS: six forward gears guarantees that you will always be in the proper rev zone.

Motor On

Old 04-02-2003, 05:01 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
My wife and I love our GMC Jimmy, but we also love the MINI which is my daily driver since I'm the one with the longest commute, (16 miles a day compared to 40 miles a day). We've gone on some long road trips, and some shorter ones with an average size Cocker Spaniel and been very comfortable.

Our supermarket runs can be big trips since we go once every two to three weeks, and haven't had any space issues.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Wings
2nd Gear
I agree with everyone else, get the MINI! When I got mine I knew there might be a few compromises due to it's small size but we don't have kids and the MINI can handle four people when needed. We don't do much long distance driving so I wasn't worried about how comfortable it would be for road trips. I bought the car from a dealer about 300 miles away and I was very surprised on the ride home to discover how comfortable the MINI was out on the highway.

It's a very capable, comfortable, FUN every-day car. Go for it!

Wings

Old 04-02-2003, 06:09 AM
kgladstone
3rd Gear
You won't hear me complaining either. I drive my MCS daily - it's my primary car. I went from a large 4-door car to my MCS and haven't missed the room of my old car. I love it. I love it's agility compared to my old car. We went on a road trip this weekend - over 3 hours on the road and it was very comfortable - we just put the back seats down and filled the back up with luggage/etc. Plenty of room and more than enough comfort for long trips (of course, more than 2 people would be almost impossible). Go get one!! You will never regret it.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:25 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
I think you've gotten a fair number of responses, but I figured I'd chime in too - why not!

As far as cargo-carrying capacity:

I went from owning two Subaru Legacy station wagons in a row to a Legacy sedan - and I felt like I lost a lot of space/versatility when I got the sedan.

When I moved from the sedan to the MINI I felt like I GAINED space/versatility! The big open hatch with the seats folded down allows you to carry bigger, bulkier items easier than in any sedan. You do lose a little when considering long items - but I've already fit 6' items with hatch closed!

Old 04-02-2003, 06:32 AM
minimotorin
6th Gear
I changed from a Miata to the MCS and gained all kinds of practicality (more space for folks and cargo) but lost none of the fun!!!! I even think it's more fun than my Miata. It gets driven every day and it's already been on several road trips, one as long as 7 hours with no problems or discomforts.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:33 AM
mexminime
4th Gear
Mine is my toy, a toy you can actually drive everywhere, and which is proving to be quite resistant too.

I drive my car half week (have a second car but more because I love it than I still need it) and it has been quite good. I´ve been stuck in the traffic for over 1.5 hours a couple of times and the Mini held like the big ones.

For two people it is very comfortable and with the back seats reclined you have a good luggage space.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:18 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
My old car was an Integra and my MCS is almost as practical, and way more convenient, safer, better handling, easy to park, heated seats, better headlights, better stereo, security system, bigger sunroof. It's also more fun. The hatchback makes it practical, and so does the leatherette as I am a huge slob!

Old 04-02-2003, 07:46 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
>>as I am a huge slob! <<

Heheh. And you're obviously quite honest and forthright as well! :smile:

Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Needler
4th Gear
After the first month of owning my MC, I seriously considered selling my Dodge truck. I hadn't driven it once since my purchase. Now, though, with spring here, yardwork to do and things to haul, I'm glad I have my truck. But anyone would require a truck for loading barkdust and compost.

MCs are toys and real cars. There's been nothing I could do with another car that I can't do with the MINI.

Personally, I prefer the MC over the MCS. I like getting 40+ mpg on long trips and 30 or so around town. Especially when gas is $2/gallon! And the MC has power enough, IMO. I also prefer its looks, but that such a subjective thing.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-02-2003, 11:31 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
I'm married w/two kids - 7 and 10 - and have chosen the Mini every single time over my wife's cherokee in the last six months.

Longest trip we took was about seven hours each way, and of course included all of our luggage.

In terms of just hauling stuff around, the whole back seat affair is convenient, and I've put a ton of junk in there (motorcycle wheels, kids' toys, etc.)

HTH,

Jeff

ps: It should go without saying that I love the car!

Old 04-02-2003, 11:39 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
I have an S and it is my daily driver. It's also our weekend getaway car and our day trips car. It's a bit too small for luggage for an extended vacation. But that's only because my wife is a HEAVY packer!

Not only is it fun but it is extremely practical. Even now as it is now a modified S. I have a new intake and a smaller supercharger pulley and the car is now in a completely different class, performance-wise.

Quick Reply: R50/53 real car or toy???