R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Motorweek Guy and the MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 05:24 PM
BabsWife
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I'm not a car chick. However, since I was a young thing; I've been fascinated with the PBS show Motorweek with John Davis. I'd watch it on the weekends and love seeing all the new cars and listen to why this was good and that was bad...and this was long before I got behind the wheel of a car. I would also watch a little segment about car repair by Pat Goss, who also does a weekend call-in radio show in the DC area. About three years ago, I moved to the DC area and found Pat's show. So while I'm out running weekend errands I listen to Pat Goss; not sure I learn much; but I enjoy his show.

Anyway, a long story longer, I got in the car this afternoon to grab lunch for the hubby just in time to hear my friend Pat Goss ask his guest, John Davis (yes, the same one from Motorweek) about his Mini Cooper. Now, much to my horror, John seems not to be driving his Mini enough having less than 1,600 miles on it in the 6 months he has owned it. However, some sharp listener called in and asked how fast he'd driven the Mini in 4th gear...seems the answer topped 100; then he said, the Mini loves 60 to 70 MPH; over that he can just hear it say to him "John, I'm not an S." But all in all he loves his Mini and can't wait to enjoy his summer with it.

FYI, his Miata is for sale.

Not sure if the whole world knew that the host of Motorweek owns a Cooper; but I was so happy to have the guy I've watched as a child own this awesome car.

Just a bit of information, I couldn't wait to share.

Old 03-16-2003, 06:49 PM
IQQIMINI
Coordinator :: Mid-Ohio Motoring Club
I love this show too... and am not at all surprised to hear that Davis owns a MINI.

I watch it whenever it's on, but it seems they are a little friendly to all of their testers. I hardly ever hear them say anything bad about the cars they test. Nice if they would be a little more critical.

But that's off-topic... pardon me.

MINIs are driven by people who know the fun in driving. Their (MINIs) quality is a bit of a question, and to some they are a bit underpowered, but for me, it's the most fun I have had driving in years (perhaps ever). I am never surprised to hear that real car enthusiasts love this car like I do.

Old 03-16-2003, 07:09 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
He is selling the girly car, how sad

Old 03-17-2003, 06:11 AM
brettco
1st Gear
Hey Ratah. I am selling my Miata as well so that I can get a MINI, but only because I don't want two car payments. The Miata is not a girly car at all. If you understand that it was built based on the history of older English sports cars, you would know it is not a girly car at all. Unless an Austin Healey is a girly car. I don't think so.

The Miata is the 2nd most fun I have had driving a car behind my 2 classic Mini's.

Brett.

Old 03-17-2003, 06:27 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>Hey Ratah. I am selling my Miata as well so that I can get a MINI, but only because I don't want two car payments. The Miata is not a girly car at all. If you understand that it was built based on the history of older English sports cars, you would know it is not a girly car at all. Unless an Austin Healey is a girly car. I don't think so.
>>
>>The Miata is the 2nd most fun I have had driving a car behind my 2 classic Mini's.
>>
>>Brett.

9 out of 10 Miata drivers are girls....just look one day and count them. And the one guy driving it is getting it washed or serviced for his girlfriend/wife. Miata=girly car. No doubt. GIRLY CAR GIRLY CAR Miata is a GIRLY CAR....And this is coming from a first time autocrosser that kicked alot of experienced Miata autocrossers a**. Did I say Miata is a Girly Car? Semper Fi

Old 03-17-2003, 07:00 AM
brettco
1st Gear
I rarely see female Miata drivers where I live. Again, I point to the basis on which the Miata was built and it is definitely not built after girly cars. It certainly is built to be driven hard, not in a girly fashion.

Now the New Beetle and the VW Cabrio, those are chick cars.

Brett.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:07 PM
MiniMiata
1st Gear
Actually, that's one of the things we laugh about over on the Miata forum - the fact that so many uninformed rednecks view the Miata as "a chick car", yet if you REALLY pay attention to who's driving them, it's men from about their late 20s to early 60s. In fact, I see numerous Miatas daily and can't even remember the last time I saw a female driving one

PS - I also enjoy Motorweek, and watch whenever I get the chance...it's good to know John Davis has SUCH good taste in cars

Old 03-17-2003, 10:58 PM
brettco
1st Gear
MiniMiata,

It is good to see there is someone else that knows the true history and driving ability of the Miata,

Brett.

Old 03-18-2003, 04:48 AM
Katiedidmini
4th Gear
You guys, don't fall for Rataha's guise! He owns a miata and he F-in loves it! In fact, I'd be willing to bet the only reason he's playing up the girly car angle with you is because he's actually just pissed at you for putting a miata up for sale. I've seen many a long post by Rat, trying to discourage the sale of a miata.

Sorry to blow your cover Rat

Old 03-18-2003, 06:01 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>
>>MINIs are driven by people who know the fun in driving. Their (MINIs) quality is a bit of a question, and to some they are a bit underpowered, but for me, it's the most fun I have had driving in years (perhaps ever).

First, Miata...not a girlie car...that's nuts, IMHO. We need to get over that, really. We owe a debt of respect to the Miata...it still gets raves.

Second, a tidbit on engine power from the Car Talk guys...many of y'all have seen this...but here's a refresher from their MC test drive...

"Like the Mazda Miata sports car, the Mini has an engine that's absolutely perfect for it -- at least with the manual transmission that we tested. The people who bitched about the Miata not having enough power (and those who register the same complaint about the Mini) just don't get it. The idea of these fun, great handling cars is not to make the world fly by so quickly that you can't see anything. The goal is to enjoy the ride. The Mini's engine makes you shift the gears; it makes you drive the car. It's just right...."

They go on to comment on having to shift to 1st at low speeds...but the point is...the Cooper is a fine car and its nice to see that recognized. I throw my hat in with MiniMiata & almedia.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:51 AM
Kecia
2nd Gear
And what exactly is wrong with being a "girly car"??????? What does it matter if more men or women drive a particular make of car???

Just curious.

Peace,
Kecia

Old 03-18-2003, 04:01 PM
MiniMiata
1st Gear
>>And what exactly is wrong with being a "girly car"??????? What does it matter if more men or women drive a particular make of car???
>>
>>Just curious.
>>
>>Peace,
>>Kecia

--------------------------------------

I agree to the extent you should drive whatever suits you.
If you genuinely like your car that's all that really matters, regardless of what anybody else thinks about it.
That said, I think when most people talk about a "girly car", they are generalizing it as an impractical vehicle, bought for looks or as a fashion statement, with little in the way of power or handling to back up its allegedly "sporty attitude". Think base model Eclipse, Probe, Mustang, Cougar. I say base model because I've never heard an Eclipse GSX, Probe GT or Cobra Mustang categorized as a "girly car" (also referred to as a "Secretary's Express" by some). The term seems to apply mostly to "cutesy" cars, like VW Beetles and Cabrios...one wouldn't think of an Accord sedan or a Chevy TrailBlazer as a "girly car" for example, but vehicles like those might be seen as "boring" or dull to more enthusiast-oriented drivers. The Miata is so recognized for its handling prowess and light-on-its-feet moves, and its direct and intimate communication with the driver, that it is elevated IMHO out of the "girly car" realm - regardless of how "cute" it may be

Old 03-18-2003, 07:38 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Hi all!!!
I'm a girl & I drive a Miata (quite well in fact) . And I also drive a MINI!!!!!
Does it mean they are girly cars? I think not
Lois

Old 03-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Minae
2nd Gear

>>9 out of 10 Miata drivers are girls....just look one day and count them. And the one guy driving it is getting it washed or serviced for his girlfriend/wife. Miata=girly car. No doubt. GIRLY CAR GIRLY CAR Miata is a GIRLY CAR....And this is coming from a first time autocrosser that kicked alot of experienced Miata autocrossers a**. Did I say Miata is a Girly Car?

NB,

You really are an autox newbie, right? "Experienced"? MINIs don't even run in the same classes as those the actually experienced Miata autox operators dominate, thankfully.

Here, check this out:
2002 SCCA National Championship "C-Stock" Results

Now click around a bit (nav bar at the top) and take a look at what other cars come close to that National Championship winning time of 97.223. Close, in this case, means less than a half a second (not very close). Not many cars come near, very few in the same power class as a Miata. So, your local Miata drivers may not be representative of the top of the form, but the car definitely deserves respect.

Car History:
'72 Datsun 1200
'87 MR2
'92 MR2
'95 RX-7 Twin Turbo
'00 MR2 Spyder
'03 MINI Cooper S

I've never had a Miata, but I've thought about it. I dumped the Spyder for the MINI because without decent third party support, they just aren't getting any traction against the Miatas.

What the hell does Girly Car mean anyhow? Am I chasing chum?

Old 03-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Minimad
6th Gear
British car tie in? That would be the 60's Lotus Elan S-2/3 roadster which Mazda created a body double of. While the Miata currently is a respectable little roadster, in its incarnation it was anemic and required suspension mods to bring it up to the roadhandling ability of those std. classic LBC's. The japanese are good imitators but never original. Most of their cars are direct concept thefts from the UK. Datsun 1600/2000=MGB, Datsun 240Z=Jag, Honda 600=Mini. They make them more reliable & cheaper, that's it. But their cars generally are "soul-less" and don't inspire the avid enthusiast (Miata is an exception) as say the classic Mini and now the MINI. IMHO

Remember Emma Peel in the Avengers with her S3?

Old 03-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Keith's-S
1st Gear
Did you post that picture to try to say the Lotus is a girlie car?

Old 03-19-2003, 12:26 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>And what exactly is wrong with being a "girly car"??????? What does it matter if more men or women drive a particular make of car???
>>
>>Just curious.
>>
Kecia, (greetings to your MINI from mine...siblings from the AIDA.) Adding to what's already been said about "girlie cars"...remember the Seinfeld episode when George pick out some glasses...but they were from the ladies section? Same dynamics. Yes its pretty irrational, but it gets into that male-famale thing. Probabably dates back to our ancient ancestors...if you had a "girlie club", you couldn't really beat up a sabertooth, now could you? Like I said...irrational.