R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Transporting a Canoe

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 02:23 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transporting a Canoe

Hey.

I'm thinking about getting a canoe, and I'm wondering about the best way to transport it on my MCS. Anyone have experience with this? Is there a rack you would recommend? Can you do it with the dealer installed roof rack? Where do you tie down the bow and stern?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:09 PM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Yakima or Thule roof rack OR the factory roof rack from MINI but that involves drilling holes into your poor roof!
I think the USPS LOST the Yakima rack that a fellow MINI person sold to me. Luckily I have the insurance proof and should be able to claim the $290.00 back from the post orifice. UGH! I just wanted the rack damnitol...

Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
Yakima or Thule roof rack OR the factory roof rack from MINI but that involves drilling holes into your poor roof!
Yeah, I know the standard rack involves drilling.

Anyone with canoe carrying experience out there?

Old 05-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
I've carried a canoe on a few different cars, but never a MINI. I usually tie the bow & stern lines to somewhere on the bumper or a tow point. On the MINI you could maybe use the tow hooks, but they're not that centered. That's in addition to clamping on the rails on the roof rack.

Keep in mind the weight you are carrying isn't just the canoe, its the force applied when you tie it down.

Also, a canoe on a car makes a 'good' sail in a cross-wind. I've had some sporty moments in a small car with a canoe on top. Of course, that was a lighter car than the MINI so the MINI would be better from that standpoint. Just FYI.

Check with Arty13 from this thread. He might have more info too - he indicated he was going to load up a canoe on his MINI.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Minitee
4th Gear
Found this picture online:

http://mohawkcanoes.com/neweb/MINICOOP.JPG

Not a big looking canoe though. I have a wooden canoe, an Old Town, probaby much heavier than that thing. And although I think it would be fun to have it on the MINI, that's the type of thing my wife's Highlander is for.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:18 PM
bosfordjd
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't carried a canoe on the a mini but I have on other small cars and various cars without racks.. They make these foam pads that fit around the edge of the canoe specifically for cars without racks. They work well paired with a pair of ratcheting tie down straps. Though with only one set of doors to put the straps through you'd probaly want to do something off the tow points as well. We rarely used the front and rear straps, just ratcheting strap through the cabin at the doors and over the canoe.

Here is what I'm talk about

Old 05-29-2006, 06:03 PM
countrym
6th Gear
Good info. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2006, 07:30 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bosfordjd
I haven't carried a canoe on the a mini but I have on other small cars and various cars without racks.. They make these foam pads that fit around the edge of the canoe specifically for cars without racks. They work well paired with a pair of ratcheting tie down straps. Though with only one set of doors to put the straps through you'd probaly want to do something off the tow points as well. We rarely used the front and rear straps, just ratcheting strap through the cabin at the doors and over the canoe.

Here is what I'm talk about
That's exactly what I did to carry a canoe on my MINI. Used those foam things in front of and behind the sunroof, tied ropes through the cabin, tied to the front tow hook, and to something below the rear bumper. Both tow hooks would be better, though. I don't that the tow hooks being off-center should matter too much.

I can't believe I forgot to take a photo!

Old 05-30-2006, 09:30 AM
KiLO
6th Gear
I saw a MINI just this past weekend carrying a canoe on a MINI using the Thule system. It seemed pretty sturdy and looked really funny :D

Old 05-30-2006, 09:34 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
JUst remember the force of the wind changes the load factor tremendously.....similar to a wing on a plane angle of attack and never exceed speeds.....

I have an 18 ft Current designs kayak that I transport on my Xterra but I have not tried it in the Mini... the yakima limits the weight to about 75 lb...the factory Mini, drill through the roof handle 150 lb I think the foam pads may be your best bet....also the canoe in the picture is a "white water" boat and is quite short and light......just be careful