R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Guerrilla Washing

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
AgBul8
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guerrilla Washing

I'm committing the cardinal sin of MINI ownership, I live in a major city without a garage or driveway, leaving the car on the street every night. Knock on wood, things have gone well for the past 2 months. Worse than subjecting the car to dings and scratches, though, this means that I don't have proper facilities to wash and detail the car myself. I'd rather not pay for a wash every week or so, so I'm breaking the law to keep the car in tip-top-shape.

I live in a coachhouse (read: converted garage. How ironic.) which backs up to an alley. Since this coachhouse is smaller than the surrounding houses, there's a gap between the alley pavement and the house, where my garbage cans go. If I bring in the garbage cans, I can get half of the MINI off of the pavement, so other cars can pass by. There's plenty of passing room, an Escalade passed me while I was washing tonight.

Of course, that's all well and good, but according to the Chicago Municipal Code:
Originally Posted by Chicago Municipal Code
10-8-525 Vehicle servicing in traffic lane prohibited--Exception.

Except in case of emergency, no person shall perform or offer to perform any service on a motor vehicle in any vehicular traffic lane on any public way in the city.
I don't think I'll actually ever get a ticket, but I'm always looking over my shoulder, which completely kills the Zen of automobile maintenance.

Any other city dwellers in similar situations? Do you just suck it up and pay for washes? This is the ONLY issue that makes me want to live in the burbs.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
And I thought this was going to me a 'Motoring Hearts' thread about going to the zoo and washing large primates. Don't forget behind the ears!:impatient

Old 05-26-2006, 06:34 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My circumstances are slightly different but similar enough to offer up my personal strategy.

1. For washes I use a nearby coin-op car wash, using the wand for wetting and rinsing only...all other supplies for bucket washing I bring myself. I searched around, but I found one car wash that is perfect for most of my needs. I visit others on occasion for special purposes (one is well lit, one has slightly better vacuums).

2. I use a duster several times daily...even more if I'm off work. Keeping up by gently using the duster, along w/ spot quick detailing, minimizes the times I actually have to wash my MINI, which is generally after driving in rain w/ all the muck that churns up.

3. I use quick detailer a good bit. If the car is basically clean via the strategy mentioned above (yes, even the wheel wells), then I often do a top to bottom QD (and clean the glass seperately). This is nice in that it restores slickness to the finish which I like. For this, believe it or not, I go to the same neighborhood car wash...several bays are delapidated and non-functional, and I have my favorite one (darn clean) that I use for dusting, QDing, and cleaning my wheels. For you something like that would be good because you'd be out of the road. For me, it's all about the shade, comfort (I can sit on the ground), and it looks semi-normal to neighbors who have thought me bonkers for a long time.

Washing requires water and a good amount of time for proper drying, and that's still my first choice. QDing requires a little less time because I don't have to chase water (drying) out of every crevice in the bodywork. It also doesn't require water so I can do it anywhere.

So, in summary, I'd say guerrilla washing for me means:
1. Keep up w/ things a little at a time so simpler remedies will work. I have most stuff necessary for this in my boot at all times.

2. Know what remedies are needed when, and have the right tools for each detailing or washing session.

3. Scout out several locations that are suitable for detailing. One may have water, one may be lit, one may have shade, one may be good for longer sessions.

4. Use a good finish. I use Klasse myself (others are good, too) because it is straightforward to use and long-lasting. If I'm gonna arrange things to do the work, I want it to last.

5. Make it a relaxing, fun hobby. I love having a clean MINI...gives the neighbors a thrill, too.

Good luck!!!

Old 05-26-2006, 07:06 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
IMHO, when they say "vehicle servicing", they mean an old car sitting on jack stands with no engine and a puddle of oil under the car. I don't think washing your MINI really qualifies at "vehicle servicing".

Just my $.02.

--
Mitch & Sherry

Old 05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^I think you're right!!!

Old 05-27-2006, 05:25 AM
snapper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This not going to help with your city ordinance problem, but this is an old trick for motorcyclists that want to wash their bikes in the winter after the garden hose is put away. Might help you as a city dweller.

Buy a 2-4 gallon size hand-pump garden sprayer at Home Depot for around 20-30$. Between that, and a soapy bucket of water, you can do a nice street side wash. I've done a small 4dr sedan with 2 gals before, but I think a 3 gal. spayer should leave a comfortable margin for the Mini.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:14 AM
MY_05_BRG
1st Gear
if you want to reduce the time you wash your MINI use Weslys Bechey White on the heavly soiled areas like the rims, the black plastic moldings on the wheel aches and for the engine bay as well works great been doing this for about 4 months now but the car has to be dry be for you spray it on and dont let it sit on painted serfaces to long or you might etch the paint not good. never use on windows
hope this helps happy motoring

Old 05-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think they'll send the Gorilla's after you. How can washing a cute little MINI harm anything?

Living here in the heart of Uptown Hooterville I've had a similar problem. My garage is off the alley & when I used to load my race car on the trailer I had to block the alley. One afternoon a guy came ranting & raving to me about my tow rig blocking his way. I explained that I couldn't move for 15 minutes or so because nothing was tied down yet. He wasn't a neighbor as they still had access to their garages from either side of me. He called the cops & they came. They asked where he lived & it turns out he didn't live anywhere near me. He was using the alley as a cut through to avoid a traffic light. The cops explained that an alley wasn't a thoroughfare & offered him a ticket if he'd like. Never saw him again.