Detailing 101 Need to find out how to pamper your new MINI? Find out all the detailing secrets here.

Detailing my F56 JCW

Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Ryephile
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Detailing my F56 JCW

I finally detailed the JCW.

*full front Xpel Ultimate clear bra installed by Motor City Auto Spa. Excellent work. I love how the bonnet is one-piece. They even temporarily removed the washer nozzles so there's no seam around them, but now under them.

*Wash with Optimum Car Wash, Autogeek ultra plush microfiber mitt
*blow-dry with electric blower, finish with waffle weave microfiber towel

*With my Porter Cable random orbital and Autogeek CCS soft green foam pad, I used Zaino All-In-One single step cleaner and polish. What I love about this particular product is the lack of fillers, so only clean paint remains after you buff it off.

*Wipe down with a 40% isopropyl alcohol / 60% distilled water mix. This ensures I fully removed all AIO residue

*Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 using the provided yellow foam applicator. I've now used the 20cc syringe to cover 3 small cars (others were Abarth and Miata) and still have about 5cc's left. You only need a 2 micron thickness for it to flash cure. Even then I still over-applied it to the doors and rear fenders, as I did those last but didn't keep dialing back how many drops I put on the applicator. I went back with an ultra plush microfiber to buff off the surplus Opti-Coat and now it's perfect and haze-free.

The results are excellent, plus now the car is fully protected for the Detroit winter onslaught combination of snow, salt, and crumbling infrastructure.

JCW detailing by Ryephile, on Flickr

Here's a picture of the driver side door. You can barely make out the door handle in the upper right corner. Shiny!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:21 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Full front Xpel Ultimate clear bra - very nice! Great product. Did you do the headlights as well? That shine is amazing! Who needs a mirror, when you have a shiny F56 in your driveway?! This is good to do at least once a year. Keeping a good coat of wax on it every 6 months will definitely help as well, especially for the winter months.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Ryephile
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks! Yup did the headlights as well. I love that the Xpel has a 10 year warranty against yellowing, cracking, clouding, and delaminating.

The Opti-Coat is perfect for rough winters. The 2 winters I had my Opti-Coated Abarth proved how relatively indestructible the coating is. Its protection is far above and beyond any traditional wax can provide, which I now put in the category of "Aesthetic Topper".

Old 09-15-2015, 12:33 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Thanks! Yup did the headlights as well. I love that the Xpel has a 10 year warranty against yellowing, cracking, clouding, and delaminating.

The Opti-Coat is perfect for rough winters. The 2 winters I had my Opti-Coated Abarth proved how relatively indestructible the coating is. Its protection is far above and beyond any traditional wax can provide, which I now put in the category of "Aesthetic Topper".
Awesome, and yes! Xpel has a great warranty. I've used their headlight protection film for many years and it has been great! Interesting about the Opti-Coat. I may have to look into this and start doing it myself see how it stands up. Good info about it, thanks for sharing your tips.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-16-2015, 06:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 556 Likes on 536 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I finally detailed the JCW.

*full front Xpel Ultimate clear bra installed by Motor City Auto Spa. Excellent work. I love how the bonnet is one-piece. They even temporarily removed the washer nozzles so there's no seam around them, but now under them.

*Wash with Optimum Car Wash, Autogeek ultra plush microfiber mitt
*blow-dry with electric blower, finish with waffle weave microfiber towel

*With my Porter Cable random orbital and Autogeek CCS soft green foam pad, I used Zaino All-In-One single step cleaner and polish. What I love about this particular product is the lack of fillers, so only clean paint remains after you buff it off.

*Wipe down with a 40% isopropyl alcohol / 60% distilled water mix. This ensures I fully removed all AIO residue

*Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 using the provided yellow foam applicator. I've now used the 20cc syringe to cover 3 small cars (others were Abarth and Miata) and still have about 5cc's left. You only need a 2 micron thickness for it to flash cure. Even then I still over-applied it to the doors and rear fenders, as I did those last but didn't keep dialing back how many drops I put on the applicator. I went back with an ultra plush microfiber to buff off the surplus Opti-Coat and now it's perfect and haze-free.

The results are excellent, plus now the car is fully protected for the Detroit winter onslaught combination of snow, salt, and crumbling infrastructure.

Here's a picture of the driver side door. You can barely make out the door handle in the upper right corner. Shiny!

Nice mirror finish, well done.

Have MINI questions? Need MINI answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
[email protected] | [email protected] | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK
Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST|Sales Team Hours: 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM | Saturday 10AM to 7PM EST 800.924.5172