R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 my first mini. What to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
drewp
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first mini. What to get?

hey guys, im totally in in love with the mini and im in the process of saving up for the downpayment now for my first. ill be 20 years old soon and am a junior at stockton college. My first love is in e30 bmws. ive had 3 so far and my current one is deccided to crap out on me. Ive put alot of money into it so far i do not want to waste any more on it. I need something that is reliable and i wont have to worry about fixing, also something that is fun to drive and good on gas, not to mention good looking. One of the only cars i can think of that id want would be a mini. I supose ill end up getting a non S althought that is what i really want however i can not afford that right now. Im looking to spend no more the 15k, so im thinking that i can get a relativly low milage non S mini and have a nice choice rather than an S mini for 15k with higher milage and not have many choices. The goal is to get it by the end of july. i love this site already and am alread addicted. I probably will autox once or twice a year at my local bmwcca chapter events. cant wait.....

p.s. heres some pics of my e30 that is for sale:

Old 05-25-2006, 02:38 PM
minitiff
2nd Gear
hey! you will be very happy with a MINI...i can assure you of that. i work for a car dealership in alabama. we had an '03 and an '05 i bought the '05 and i LOVEEEE it!! they are both s's... i think you may be able to find an older model like an '02 or '03 S for around the amount you want to purchase it for. good luck!!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:34 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
Whatever you do...

Make sure you get 2 things....CR body, Black roof!

You'll never be dissapointed!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a red one ... all the other colors are mistakes

Old 05-25-2006, 04:49 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
GOOD luck in finding a MINI Cooper for under $15K. MINIs are at the top of the charts for holding resale value. I have seen people who put say $10K down actually sell a year or two old MINI and come out ahead on a new one

Untill you have a working budget of $20K, I would stick with the current ride.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
drewp
Neutral
well the current ride is busted, so im looking for something newer. why do i need 20k to buy a mini? whats wrong with financing? yea i wont have the money to do mods to it but at least ill have a newer fun *** car with few worries.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:34 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I haven't actually checked since I bought my '04 Cooper, but I think the base price is ~17k. I got just the "important" options on mine (sport seats, sport suspension plus, multifunction steering wheel), and it was about 18.5k. You could probably just go buy a new one if you can live without all of the fluff!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah. A bare-bones Cooper with no options or packages should run you just about 17k, brand new.

The way that these cars hold their value, I think you may have a tough time finding a used one that is truly affordable. My vote for you, is to buy a brand new Cooper. They may be less powerful, but on an Autocross course or in the twisties, they keep up with 90% of the Cooper S's out there. A lot of people, even other MINI owners, underestimate the mighty mouse that is the Cooper.

So I say, go for a new Cooper!

As far as color, that's the most subjective thing for people. I like Chili Red, but like they said earlier in this thread, gotta go with the black roof, (as you can see, I am biased towards the black roof ). The white roof is nostalgic and looks great, but has been done to death! Even the red roof would work too.

Have fun, and let us know what you get!

Old 05-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to NAM!

A factory new base (and in this case it is base meaning absolutely no extras) Cooper is MSRP for 16,999.

Here is a 02 MCS 18k
04 MCS 19k
04 MCS 18.5k
03 MCS 15.9k
03 MCS 17k race ready

Some are kinda old so I'd PM the thread starters if interested. Also take a look at used car lots in your area, many leases are starting to wrap up, I'd venture to say the majority of enthusiats are MCS driver, even though the MC is just as capable in the turns and an excellent (maybe even better, depends on driver) autocross car, so you would be more likely to hear about MC sales via ads and searching lots, as many bought the MC as a eco freindly car that got them from A to B with some fun in the middle. hope this helps.

-Drew

Old 05-26-2006, 04:54 AM
dansmini
5th Gear
Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
^^Sounds exactly like what you're looking for! Also in case it none of these work out (your location and budget mix may be a factor) you could post up a WTB and see if you have any sellers.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I got a white roof because: A) they're awesome; and B) they don't absorb the entire visible spectrum (ie, car won't be so hot sitting under the sun).

Old 05-26-2006, 05:07 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
A is you personal choice, but in regards to B I drove an all black MCS inside and out except the headliner in FL, I'd open the windows with the remote and had ambient air waiting for me about 30 seconds later, its nowhere near as bad as its made out to be. And I didn't have any tinit (expect the OEM sunroof) so I maxed out the green house effect too.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
The white roof is nostalgic and looks great, but has been done to death! Even the red roof would work too.

Have fun, and let us know what you get!
Might be true in a city with a MINI dealer, but my CR/W Cooper is the only one of it's color in my town.

When you're 4 1/2 hours from the nearest dealer buying a color that's "too common" isn't a problem.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Welcome to NAM!

A factory new base (and in this case it is base meaning absolutely no extras) Cooper is MSRP for 16,999.

-Drew
I don't know where you got that info, but an '06 base Cooper is $17,450 MSRP, and then you have to add the destination charge. Here in TX ($550), that makes it $18,000.

I also had a limited budget, and I am going over it a couple of thousand to get a MINI, but it'll be worth it in the long run!

For mine, I limited the options (since I don't have a ton of cash to throw around) and I'm choosing:

Chili Red w/Black Mirrors, manual, anthracite dash, grey/black leatherette
Sport Seats ($300)
MFSW ($250)
Auto AC ($300)
Rear fog ($100 - so my toggles look better - ie: two outside, two center - and i can use it for those pesky tailgaters!).
Total: $18,950

The only 'accessory' I'm adding is the black bonnet stripes ($79), which made my total $19029 (my dealer's not charging for installation).

With taxes, and all fees the grand total is $20,437.91.

I'm planning on getting a 4.99% APR (and a $100 gas card!) from a credit union, so my payments will be about $330 a month for 60 months with $3000 down (including the $500 deposit)...

Old 05-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
I've been eyeing these cars for so long my brochure is oudated.

Just used the configureator, 18k total, with 1k down that works out to 325 a month for 60 moths to pruchase or a 10k mile/year lease in the 250 range

Old 05-26-2006, 10:50 AM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by drewp
well the current ride is busted, so im looking for something newer.
why do i need 20k to buy a mini? whats wrong with financing?
yea i wont have the money to do mods to it but at least ill have a newer fun *** car with few worries.
Sorry drewp. I thought you only wanted to pay $15K for a used MINI. I just ran the configurator.

You can get a bare bones, non metalic paint Cooper for $18K, Add metalic paint and you are at $18,450.

But I think you will find that most dealerships do not have such a car in stock. Most of them pre-spec
their cars with all three major options:

#1 Premium package [Dual pane panoramic sunroof, automatic HVAC controls, Multi Function Steering
Wheel with Cruse Control, and On board computer] $1,400
#2 Sport pack [Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Sport Seats, Front Fog lamps, Rear Spoiler,
16" 5 Star wheels, Performance Run Flats] $1,400
#3 Cold Weather pack [jeated seats, heated mirrors, heated seats] $300

Then they like to go nuts with add ons like window tint, bonnet stripes, and clear bras.
That takes your $18,000 car up to around $23K.

If you want everything in the package get it that way. Otherwise pick and choose ala kart style.

Truth be told you don't have to get a JCW GP to have fun and be a part of the MINI family.
I have driven with many heavily moded MCS's and MIB hung well with them in the twisty stuff.
[Though they could run away at will on the straights ]

Financing is great. It is what we did.

You had better be very good at staying "NO!" if you want the payments that motor on said.
The guy/gal who finalizes the paperwork with you will try to add things like
Extended Warenty,
Payment insurance, Road Hazzard for the tires [Runflats Ain't cheap!], Etc....
They can easily add $4K to the price of your car after all dealer installed goodies.

I might have read your original post the wrong way. I thought you were looking to spend
no more than $15K. Used MINI's are fine, but I doubt you could find one in good condition for $15K.

And if you are going to pay $19K for a used one, why not put the extra couple grand and
pop for a brand new one? Besides you will get a better interest rate on a new car than on used.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:02 AM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Drew, I'd check out dansmini's Cooper. I've seen it before here in Ohio, and it is as he describes it. For what he is asking, it is a real bargain...especially since it only has around 20k. I thought mine didn't have many miles on it [just under 29k], as it is also an '03.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:13 AM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by mini-mine
I...SNIP... The only 'accessory' I'm adding is the black bonnet stripes ($79) ...SNIP...
Factory stripes are the biggest rip off! Eighty bucks and they don't completely go over the edge of
the bonnet to the chrome around the grill. Go to a local vinyl shop and get some 4 inch wide stripes cut.
Most likely less than $25, Even if you mess up the install, you are still a head if you have to get a second set cut!

Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 PM
mini-mine
5th Gear
ah well, to me it's worth the extra $50 to have them done for me
He's not charging installation, so it's just $79...

Old 05-27-2006, 05:26 AM
resmini
6th Gear
I ordered my bonnet stripes from Moss-Mini. Twenty five dollars for the pre-cut factory look ones or thirty for the straight, longer ones. I got the pre-cut, exact fit ones, and they were extremely easy to install. Added Auto-Zone pinstripes, ($2.99), around the entire edge and they look as good as, or better than, the factory ones.

After you install a couple of things, such as these bonnet stripes, you'll never consider paying someone to do it again. You might want to change out the stripes every year or so.