R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Accessories installtion at dealership help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:34 AM
CinniMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessories installtion at dealership help...

Okay people here's the deal... I ordered my MCS a few weeks ago and the MA quoted me MSRP plus $1800 for a total of around $30K, which is okay since I live in CA. The problem is now he's quoting the labor costs for installing the accessories I ordered and the car is now about $36,500... the installation on the invisishield (upper and lower) was $1200.

Here's what I ordered for accessories:
Invisishield (upper and lower)
Glove Box Organizer
Cupholder
iPod Adapter

I also got floor mats, boot box, cool bag, etc but I doubt there should be an charge for installing them. I am seriously thinking about walking away from this deal... right now I am in it for my $500 deposit and haven't signed anything.

Any advice would be appreciated... I need to call my MA this morning. TIA!

Old 05-25-2006, 08:23 AM
ionray
2nd Gear
Accessories

I had the ipod adapter dealer installed in my MINI, I think labor was an additional $250. That being said, I knew the exact price of my MINI when I left from ordering it (including the labor costs) and I had it in writing. Seems to me like they should have quoted you all of those installation costs right away. If nothing else, at least get them to itemize the installation costs. Make sure they aren't doing anything that you can do yourself.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
That sounds really high to me.

I don't have the invisishield, anyone else wanna tell what they paid for theirs?

The cupholder and glove box organizer should not cost you a penny. The glove box organizer is not even installation, you just open the glove box and sit it in there.

Do you have an itemized list of accessories and the cost to install each? A $6,500 difference is huge.

Honestly, I would see about buying from somewhere like Classic that regularly sells to people in Cali. Just give them a call and see what they can do, even with shipping it might save you many thousands and a lot of wait time.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:50 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
In addition to the out of state MSRP options, East Bay, South Bay (SoCal), and Long Beach (SoCal) all sell at MSRP with no mark-ups.

FWIW, I had clearbra installed for $450 (material and labor) on the first 24" of the hood, bumpercover, grille slats, headlights, and mirror caps.

Old 05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
nethack
3rd Gear
Sorry to ask this, but are you sure those are the only dealer installed items? The delta between 30K and 36.5K seems rather high. That being said, before I actually ordered my MCS, I knew exactly how much I'd have to plunk down before driving away with it.... had it itemized.... with tax and all.

BTW, there are better and cheaper glove box organizers out there: search this forum. Also, cup holder, glove box organizer, floor mats, cooler bag need no installation to speak of.... shouldn't be costing you a thing.

Where are you buying from in Northern CA?

PS when your too slow at the keyboard you find that other people have responded in kind... sorry for the redundency (spelling bad too)

Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
Sounds high to me. :impatient

When I ordered last week, I loaded up on accessories...
  • JCW Airbox
  • JCW Brakes
  • iPod Adapter
  • Sportlink w/ bike rack
  • Driving lamps
...and my total went from $33K-something to $34K-something.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:19 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Doogs

When I ordered last week, I loaded up on accessories...
  • JCW Airbox ($450)
  • JCW Brakes ($1,065)
  • iPod Adapter ($149)
  • Sportlink w/ bike rack ($239 + $310)
  • Driving lamps ($400)
...and my total went from $33K-something to $34K-something.
How is that possible considering the MSRPs (which don't include installation) shown above

Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 AM
MarcusCT
2nd Gear
Ipod adaptor only cost me $349 TOTAL, which includes two hours of labor at $100/hour.

I also had everything in hand when I left the dealership. I think the difference your were quoted is quite suspect.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
aDeLoreanGuy
4th Gear
It's not uncommon for some dealers to charge fixed prices for some accessories, regardless of actual installation time. Don't let them do this to you! Find out the exact cost of the parts and make them quote you labor times for each item. That should then determine the cost of the accessories.

Remember, these are dealer installed, not factory. You can always take your MINI to another dealer to have them installed. You have options when it comes to this, especially when you live in an area with multiple dealers (such as CA).

Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave
In addition to the out of state MSRP options, East Bay, South Bay (SoCal), and Long Beach (SoCal) all sell at MSRP with no mark-ups.

FWIW, I had clearbra installed for $450 (material and labor) on the first 24" of the hood, bumpercover, grille slats, headlights, and mirror caps.

Yep, good info there.

Thousands of dollars is not something to play around with, if you are having any doubts, at least satisfy them and make some calls so you don't end up with buyers remorse or really far upside down in a brand new car.

Call some of these places and just get them to work you up a quote. Get them to fax you an itemized list of the prices on each item and compare. It doesn't hurt at all just to make a few calls.

Also, you may want to see if anyone local can install things like the ipod adapter, it's better to not finance too much over the MSRP of a car or you instantly owe more than it's worth. That or pay for a few of the accessories out right, if you weren't alreay planning to do so, that is.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:35 AM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CinniMini
Okay people here's the deal... I ordered my MCS a few weeks ago and the MA quoted me MSRP plus $1800 for a total of around $30K, which is okay since I live in CA. The problem is now he's quoting the labor costs for installing the accessories I ordered and the car is now about $36,500... the installation on the invisishield (upper and lower) was $1200.!
What??? OMG! $1200 for an invisishield?? we charged about $450. $269 for the iPod adapter. Cup holder is free from MINI, and the glove box organizer is just slid into the glove box... doesn't require any installation. This is ridiculous!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:40 AM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniChristina
What??? OMG! $1200 for an invisishield?? we charged about $450. $269 for the iPod adapter. Cup holder is free from MINI, and the glove box organizer is just slid into the glove box... doesn't require any installation. This is ridiculous!
In Canada, the iPod adapter was just under $200 and installation took an hour and a half at $105/hour so the total came to $375ish (exactly the price I paid for my iPod.... )

Invisishield/stoneguard/whatever they call it is apparently $499 and the same $105/hr for installation.

As mentioned already, the cupholder was free... complain about that! You should be getting it free!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:09 AM
herozup
3rd Gear
Classic charges $575 ( if I recall) for iPod adapter parts and labor. I passed.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
How is that possible considering the MSRPs (which don't include installation) shown above
Guess I should clarify.

The $33K-something was the price for the Mini as ordered...options, packages, and accessories

The $34K-something was that price + install labor.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM
CinniMini
1st Gear
Well I cancelled the order... guess it's not going to happen right now. Thanks for all the input everyone. Happy Motoring!

Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I personally would never add any dealer options to an order unless they are heavily discounted, it just muddies up the details of the deal and gives them more places to mark things up and also can cause issues at delivery time.

I would have them remove all dealer options and fax a new signed contract with every item priced as well as the out the door summary (to reveal any potential high doc fees or the like). Everything that is an option can be added later at a discount - order parts from Classic with the NAM discount or see if a local place will match it (you never know, some parts depts might) and there are plenty of good clearbra installers. As a matter of fact you can probably get the very same installer that is doing the work for the dealer at a fraction of the price (ie Total Eclipse in San Rafael does a ton of work for dealers who just mark it up), check here or with a good body shop for referrals close to you.

As for the iPod adapter it not a tough DIY. If you are not comfortable with that call around to a bunch of dealers get a labor quote, and see if they will match the price of the adapter from Classic and/or install one purchased from them. I've had dealers install OEM parts purchased elsewhere when they could not match the price.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:58 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Doh, I had the window open and didn't see that you cancelled. Well, good luck with it and Southern Cal is a great alternative for MSRP.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Doogs

Guess I should clarify.

The $33K-something was the price for the Mini as ordered...options, packages, and accessories

The $34K-something was that price + install labor.
That makes more sense

Old 05-25-2006, 12:39 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
you should go in there flaming mad, they are absolutely pulling something shady on you and they should be held responsible for your cancellation. everything they stated for accessories prices was way out of the ball park. $6K is the price for parts and labor for installing the JCW kit, not some silly accessories! I would really try to nail those guys, to at least get your deposit back.

Okay people here's the deal... I ordered my MCS a few weeks ago and the MA quoted me MSRP plus $1800 for a total of around $30K, which is okay since I live in CA. The problem is now he's quoting the labor costs for installing the accessories I ordered and the car is now about $36,500... the installation on the invisishield (upper and lower) was $1200.

Glove Box Organizer
Cupholder
iPod Adapter

I also got floor mats, boot box, cool bag, etc but I doubt there should be an charge for installing them. I am seriously thinking about walking away from this deal... right now I am in it for my $500 deposit and haven't signed anything.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glove Box Organizer
Cupholder
iPod Adapter

Something is missing here........the $30K was w/$1800 accessories plus tax. Now its gone to $36500.00 plus tax?

I wouldn't have cancelled the order just told them "I'll pass" and get them elsewhere.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
AMW
2nd Gear
You're getting ripped off.

I had these added to my MCS that I'm picking up tomorrow:

Ipod adaptor - $250
Invisishield (full...upper and lower) - $595
Chrome Front Grille - $197
rubber floor mats - $85
Installation on Parcel Shelf - Free
(I bought the shelf for $95, shipping included, from myminiparts.com)
All prices include labor.

Seriously...just for the $1800 alone, you could order the car from an East coast dealer and have it shipped across the country to you. You'd get it at the same time because remember...takes the ship a lot longer to swing through the panama canal and back up to CA than it does to get to NYC. I'm getting my car from Mini of Peabody (Massachusetts). They charge MSRP and those are the prices they quoted me for those installations. You should seriously consider it.

oh and by the way, MoP gave me the cupholder for free too. And I think a lot of dealers do that.

edit - just realized you'd cancelled the order. Wise move. I hope you get your deposit back!

Old 05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
yamahogg500
1st Gear
st louis mini had the cup holder in my cooper when i picked it up
when I said I hadnt ordered it they told me they throw them
in free of charge.thats a good dealer.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:06 PM
MiniChristina
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yamahogg500
st louis mini had the cup holder in my cooper when i picked it up
when I said I hadnt ordered it they told me they throw them
in free of charge.thats a good dealer.
MINIUSA puts it in all the cars!! Not the dealer! Too funny!

Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniChristina

MINIUSA puts it in all the cars!! Not the dealer! Too funny!
My 2002 MCS didn't come with a dash downtube cup holder ... thank goodness

Old 05-25-2006, 04:18 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glove Box Organizer
Cupholder
iPod Adapter

Thank God you cancelled the order. Although acceptable to you, there are plenty of ways to avoid the $1800 over MSRP for the car itself, let alone the incredible attempt to rip you off on the accessories.

Make sure you get your $500 deposit returned.