General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unique Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unique Accessories

So, I'm not sure if this'll get me shot here or not, but I'm getting these for my MINI:
Amazon.com: Cutequeen Paw Print-Black base Tire Air Valve Caps Fit All Schrader valve(Pack of 4)-Red: Automotive Amazon.com: Cutequeen Paw Print-Black base Tire Air Valve Caps Fit All Schrader valve(Pack of 4)-Red: Automotive

Our MINI is red and black (for Maryland) and we'll be getting custom plates that read ALTANI (the name of our papillon). These are just a cute little accessory to personalize in a special way.

Are there any other unique accessories you've added to your MINI for personalization under $100?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM
MiniChick82
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went the vanity plate route myself. My plate is ELMNTRY in honor of my late dog Watson. Other than that I haven't done anything to her yet.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
So, I'm not sure if this'll get me shot here or not, but I'm getting these for my MINI: Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Print-Black-Valve-Schrader-valve/dp/B009XZVYSA/ref=sr_1_115/182-3515397-5531735?ie=UTF8&qid=1443147590&sr=8-115&keywords=valve+stem+caps+red+aluminum Our MINI is red and black (for Maryland) and we'll be getting custom plates that read ALTANI (the name of our papillon). These are just a cute little accessory to personalize in a special way. Are there any other unique accessories you've added to your MINI for personalization under $100?
Cute. 1 thing though. Those caps are aluminum. They will eventually seize onto the valve stem and you won't get them off possibly leaving you stranded with a low tire and also the expense of replacing the stem that requires tire removal. You need to find ones that are plastic

Side note. Some guys spray silicone on the cap and then screw them on. Some use anti seize. But that is a messy idea.

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-29-2015, 05:37 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniChick82
I went the vanity plate route myself. My plate is ELMNTRY in honor of my late dog Watson. Other than that I haven't done anything to her yet.
No way!

My Volvo's plate is LMNTRE (only had 7 letters at the time - my last name is Watson). Funny thing though, over 20 years, only 3 people have gotten it right. Everyone else says lemon tree (which has stuck now)

My MINI's have:
05 JCW
06 JCW

Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
Cute. 1 thing though. Those caps are aluminum. They will eventually seize onto the valve stem and you won't get them off possibly leaving you stranded with a low tire and also the expense of replacing the stem that requires tire removal. You need to find ones that are plastic

Side note. Some guys spray silicone on the cap and then screw them on. Some use anti seize. But that is a messy idea.

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring
Thanks, I had no idea about that. Any idea on how long it takes for that to happen? I'm fine if I have to take these off after a year or something.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
As mentioned, a tiny dab of antiseize would do fine, and never cause a problem.

The stem is brass, and the cap is aluminum. Eventually the differential in metals will cause the corrosion, even without winter driving.

With the antiseize on it, I would not be concerned at all.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Old 10-01-2015, 06:02 AM
2010CHILI
3rd Gear
There is a ton of aftermarket do dads from China on eBay etc that are near OEM quality that can get you some cheap personalization. I am referring to decals, mirror covers, door pulls, replacement ***** and such, not mechanical parts. For stuff like that I use what I call my Harbor Freight principal (R) which states "if failure of this part can cause injury, don't buy it there. For around $100 I was able to get a rear view mirror cover, cup holder inserts, dash trim, lock pulls, E brake handle, valve stems, and push button covers in the black jack pattern. The OEM rear view mirror cover comes in at around $100 and it's just a few cents worth of plastic and double stick tape. If your shrewd and creative you can personalize the heck out of your car without too much wallet impact.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 2010CHILI
There is a ton of aftermarket do dads from China on eBay etc that are near OEM quality that can get you some cheap personalization. I am referring to decals, mirror covers, door pulls, replacement ***** and such, not mechanical parts. For stuff like that I use what I call my Harbor Freight principal (R) which states "if failure of this part can cause injury, don't buy it there. For around $100 I was able to get a rear view mirror cover, cup holder inserts, dash trim, lock pulls, E brake handle, valve stems, and push button covers in the black jack pattern. The OEM rear view mirror cover comes in at around $100 and it's just a few cents worth of plastic and double stick tape. If your shrewd and creative you can personalize the heck out of your car without too much wallet impact.
Yup, I know all about the China sources. I lived there for three years and my wife is Chinese, with many connections. I like the ideas that you gave me though. I was looking for little stuff that I could upgrade, but didn't necessarily think of. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by jamez
The stem is brass, and the cap is aluminum. Eventually the differential in metals will cause the corrosion, even without winter driving.
Galvanic corrosion caused by two metals of differing electrode potentials in contact with each other. An anti-oxidant paste like Ideal 'Noalox' will help. Ask your electrician about combining copper and aluminum wiring some time.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM
MiniChick82
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Galvanic corrosion caused by two metals of differing electrode potentials in contact with each other. An anti-oxidant paste like Ideal 'Noalox' will help. Ask your electrician about combining copper and aluminum wiring some time.
This happened on my Ford Focus when I put lighted valve caps on it. I didn't know any better and they got corroded on. I was lucky I had my mom's fiance that could fix it for free, but he had to cut them off and then replace the tire stems. Will never make that mistake again!