R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini is great for tall guys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 PM
TooTallJones
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini is great for tall guys?

Hey everyone,

Prospective Mini buyer here. I've been almost continuously trying out cars at dealerships and researching them online for the past few days and I can't seem to find one that fits me comfortably. I'm 6'5" tall and have felt cramped in every car I've sat in. The Civic probably would've been my choice if it had fit me, but I took one for a spin around the block and it was like a joke. I felt like I was driving one of those little kiddie cars they have at grocery stores.

Even more spacious cars like the Accord, the Scion xB, and the Scion tC don't allow me to get my legs completely under the steering wheel. I told the guy at the Toyota dealership that I'm not going to buy any car that doesn't fit, regardless of what good points it has. He replied, "Most people, even those who can fit their legs completely under the wheel, prefer to ride with it between their legs like that." I wanted to call BS on that one, but I tried to think back to how my shorter family and friends drive and I honestly couldn't remember. It's just not something I've ever paid attention to. So I let it slide, but I'm quite sure he was lying. Why would you want the wheel down where it's impeding your leg movement, especially if you're driving a manual?

And now, about the Mini. I came across this a few days ago:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...hort-tall.html

There's a section for "special needs" drivers, including the very tall. Here's what it says about the Mini, if you don't feel like opening the link:

A surprising entry in the "cars for tall people category" is BMW's Mini Cooper. As 6 ft. 8 in. listener Chuck Bergen writes, "Cars that look big are not always accommodating. In many cars — especially imports — sun roofs are almost unavoidable and almost always are the kiss of death for tall drivers who like to hold their heads upright. I have two words for your very tall listeners, particularly those like me who love small, nimble cars: Mini Cooper. How they do it, I do not know, but mine even has a sun roof. If a car that small, efficient and nimble can fit a guy like me, the other car makers really have no excuse."

Sounds pretty promising! I called the BMW dealership yesterday (the only one in all of Utah, apparently), and asked the sales lady about the Mini. She says it's designed to fit anyone up to 6'7", but it'll depend a lot on how I'm proportioned--how much of me is torso and how much is legs. It's my legs more than my torso that have been the problem in all the cars I've test driven so far. What do you guys think? Could a guy with a 36" inseam get his legs completely under the wheel in a Mini?

I've got an appointment for Saturday afternoon to take a test drive. I really can't wait. I'm not a car guy at all and auto talk normally makes me want to take a nap, but there's just something about this car that makes me grin. I'm almost hoping it turns out to be the only small car that fits me so I can have an excuse to buy it.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:39 PM
sddave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TooTallJones
Hey everyone,

Could a guy with a 36" inseam get his legs completely under the wheel in a Mini?
See posts 10-16 with TooTall, et al:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=space+blue

Old 05-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your sake, I hope you will find it comfortable - the MINI is awesome and more fun than any car you've ever owned probably....keep us posted....

Donna

Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
6'4" here... The cooper will make you smile... This is the first car I have owned where I DON'T have to have the seat back all the way! I also have enough headroom for a helmet.
I gave up my Z06 for the extra space..... These cars are great fun!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 6'2" and my brother is 6'4" and we both LOVE to drive my MINI because it DOES fit us so well! My brother especially raves about it, since he has the same inseem as you, and very few cars fit him at all. I assure you that it will be the most comfortable small car you will drive! Best ergonomics for tall people.

Sometimes I find that I want to lift the steering wheel up (via its adjustment lever) just so I have some more room for 'round the town driving where I am shifting a lot. Then I get onto the highways and put it back down for a more relaxed cruising position.

In any case, make sure you make use of the height adjustment on the seats during your test drive! It makes a big difference in the way the car feels, and not everyone takes the time to get it adjusted all the way down and back (sometimes the seat is already too far back to put the seat all the way down, since the height adjustment moves down and back at the same time and gets wedged if the seat is already too far back).

In any case, I'm sure we'll hear more from ya once you drive one!

RM2k5

Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
See jimz68 - he's not old, he's 6'8"!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Chekm8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
See jimz68 - he's not old, he's 6'8"!

yeah I remember that post...

Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
minitiff
2nd Gear
Hello, I own an '05 MCS...my fiance absolutely loves my car!! The first thing he said..."Wow I can fit and my knees do not touch the steering wheel!!"...he is 6'3" and pretty good size guy...I hope this was helpful!!

Also, I had 4 people in the car at one point...and my fiance was sitting in the back seat (comfortably)!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dirk Nowitski at 7' seems to enjoy driving MINIs!!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:32 PM
DrueDown
2nd Gear
I've seen pictures of some of the Chicago Bears players getting out of their Mini's at training camp(& I'm not talking about the kickers).

Old 05-12-2006, 01:42 PM
ewoster
1st Gear
I am 6'8' with lots of torso height. I can't drive a MINI with the sunroof. My Inseam is 34' but I have big feet. I was able to drive the manual Trans, but my legs DID NOT FIT UNDER THE WHEEL. I had to have my legs straddling below the wheel to clutch. I ended up buying the MCSa. The Auto is pretty good for an auto, but I dn't get inner thigh cramps with my legs sideways while clutching. Also it allows me to use my cell phone and turn signals while driving.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:07 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just took my best friend for a ride to the taqueria last night for the first time in my MCS, and he was pretty shocked at how well his 6'-5" ness fit int here, WITH the sunroof. He omitted the sunroof on his Mazda 3 for this same reason. Very impressed he was...

Old 05-12-2006, 02:13 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a club member that is 6'11" and loves his MINI!

Old 05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
I'm 6'7" and have no issues at all. It's not as wide as some vehicles I've had, but the legroom is better than my previous vehicles, a 1998 Acura 3.5RL and a 1997 Chevy Silverado. I have the sunroof as well. Love it

Old 05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm 6'4" and have no problems, but I'd skip the sun roof if I were any taller... If I hit a good bump, I get jammed into the roof pretty hard. Skipping the Sunroof would give you another inch or so of headroom, at least.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:10 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 6'7", fit in all no problem, although new models with sunroof and side visor did make me aware that something was near my head. The cabrio was my choice. More room for me than my wife's Acurra TL. Great cars...

Old 05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
05LiquidYellow
2nd Gear
You shouldn't have any problems. I'm 6'6" and I work at a Toyota dealership and drive a Mini. I couldn't find a Toyota that I fit in. I bought the Cooper S without a sunroof and I have a 34" inseam and I don't have the seat all the way back. I just can't push the clutch all the way in with the seat all the way back. It's quite amazing, but I looked at all types of sport cars and the reason I got the Mini was it had the most head and leg room!

Old 05-12-2006, 03:47 PM
CooperGear
Banned
6'3" Here and I love my MINI! Always get the question, "how do you fit in that thing?" I tell them that I wouldn't buy a car that I didn't fit into. I put the seat all the way back, all the way down, and reclined back not too far. I also have a the steering wheel as high as it will go. I don't have to reach for the top of the wheel and I shift with no problem at all. The worst part is that my feet are big and I have to move my leg when operating the clutch. I can't just pivot my foot on my heel.

Oh, do have the sunroof.

I say you will be just fine as long as rear seat room is not a big deal for you.

Motor On

Old 05-12-2006, 04:07 PM
redrock
Neutral
6'3'' Motorer

[QUOTE=blockh102] Always get the question, "how do you fit in that thing?" I tell them that I wouldn't buy a car that I didn't fit into.

I'm 6'3", 34-35 in. inseam with sunroof and no problems. I get the above question all the time and give the exact answer, bloch102! I often travel with my wife and two daughters. All you need is a new mindset about what to take and whats really needed.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 PM
tubwreck
2nd Gear
I'm 6'9", mostly leg, and I am buying a mini specifically because it does fit so well. I'm fine with the sunroof, but I ordered without so that I can get in with my helmet on.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:26 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
6'3" here and perfectly comfortable. In fact, I have long legs and while I can reach and fully depress the clutch with the seat in the rear most position, it isn't comfortable, I have to move it up a couple of notches. Plenty of headroom as well, and that's with a sunroof, which typically reduces headroom due to the extra structure.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:28 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
I forgot...

One issue I do have, but I don't know that it is related to just tall folks specifically...and that is an inability to see traffic signals when I'm first in line. I typically have to stay further back from the light, and/or lean down a bit to see it.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:35 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KC MCS
I forgot...

One issue I do have, but I don't know that it is related to just tall folks specifically...and that is an inability to see traffic signals when I'm first in line. I typically have to stay further back from the light, and/or lean down a bit to see it.
There is some thingy you can stick on your windshield to help with that. I forget the name of it but it works.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:43 PM
SCA
3rd Gear
Best leg room ever

You'll have no problem fitting in a MINI. I'm 6'4" and its the first car of any kind I can stretch my legs out fully in.

Old 05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
KennyMooper
5th Gear
I'm 6'7 and a big guy.....36" inseam. I am fine but as others said, I keep the seat all the way down, all the way back (literally touching the rear seat), and the wheel all the way up. I do have the sunroof, no issues with that but I know when I feel myself scraping the roof, I need a haircut

Like others said, the best thing to do is go fit for yourself and make sure you can find a comfortable position. I love my MINI but on long trips, it becomes painfully obvious sometimes that the downtube is pressing against my leg and the seat cushion is VERY short.

I have found that there's NO WAY, absolutely no way possible I could ever drive a C6 Corvette, I couldn't even get into the thing.....that was a sad day. Also drove a Range Rover Sport and it was so uncomfortable I would hate to drive it more than a few miles. It's funny how different tall bodies fit into these cars.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Mini is great for tall guys?