R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 BMW waiting list update

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 11:39 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thought I would pass this on...

Originally 70 BMW dealerships were to sell the MINI. To date, there is actually only 40 or 50 selling the MINI because of many reasons such as these examples:

BMW in Tacoma, WA: Did not complete MINI showroom so BMW will not let them have any MINIs until it is done which is months away!

BMW in Kansas City: Sold an S Demo, lost their contract with BMW to sell MINIs!

Several other BMW dealerships have not fulfilled their contract with BMW corporate or have sold Demo models or not kept enough MINIs on their lot (MINI dealers are obligated to keep a set number of MINIs on their lot at all times) thus losing their contracts to sell MINIs or BMW has penalized them by not giving them very many MINIs and passing off those cars instead to other dealerships who obey the BMW rules.

It nuts, BMW has crudloads of rules that dealerships must obey to keep getting more cars. If they decide to break the rules, BMW is simply not sending them cars. Hopefully this won't effect your order!

Old 04-19-2002, 05:45 PM
marios7
Neutral
Rasmussen BMW in Portland, Oregon has a 2 year wait list for 'S".

When they get them they will sell @ MSRP.

They are not currently taking orders.

Does anyone know of dealers anywhere that have an 'S' to sell @ MSRP?

Old 04-19-2002, 05:58 PM
wainair
3rd Gear
I do hope this doesn't effect anyone that has and order in already, but, it is great to see BMW reacting to what was starting to go on with some dealerships in the USA. Branding is very important especially when a name is trying to re-establish itself. I was starting to hear things like"the only thing not mini about the MINI is the mark-up". This is a great car, that doesn't need to have it's rep ruined by gouging, greedy dealerships. I'm sure BMW has provided them with a car that will be profitable at MSRP. So if I can give any addvice to anyone out there, that would be read all the posts on all the forums you can. The good dealerships do turn up, and even more apparent are the bad ones. Good luck and good driving.

Old 04-20-2002, 01:23 AM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
My understanding is that there are several dealerships in the US only charging MSRP on all of their MINIs. I think it just seems most are charging over because you hear lots of people complaining about it, but don't hear from those getting the cars at fair value.

Noticing though that the dealerships that are charging MSRP are getting swamped by people. So for example here in SLC UT the dealership is now only taking orders from people who live in the state. They will not take out of state offers. Even out of state dealerships are trying to buy MINIs, but are getting denied.

In regards to spec MINI orders... its my understanding now the first ones will hit the US in early to mid July. Those waiting on special orders with the complete Cold Weather package or upgraded Stereo know those parts are delayed till Sept 2. But these cars still might not hit the US until early Oct.

Old 04-20-2002, 09:20 AM
markatlnk
Neutral

Where did you hear that Kansas City lost their contract?

Tell me it is not so, I am on their waiting list.

Old 04-20-2002, 07:42 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
I heard from 2 different dealerships that they had sold one of their MINI S demos and that BMW found out and cancelled their contract to sell MINIs. I did not hear this directly from BMW corp or that dealership, but I'm pretty sure this is accurate.

Old 04-20-2002, 10:01 PM
Ninedriver
1st Gear
I am happy to say that our South Atlanta MINI dealer is charging MSRP and we are getting our little silver and black loaded Cooper with no dealer mark-up. They are really a class act and have been very straight with us so far. We also have an S on order to replace this one when it becomes available. We have been told to expect a 12 to 14 month wait and are currently nearly #200 on the S waiting list at this dealer. They have two Cooper S models in stock and we got to drive one. I have to say I think there is a big difference. The S really goes when pushed, dispite what some auto magazine articles have said, the S is worth the wait!

Old 04-21-2002, 07:56 PM
dalink
Neutral
Was in Las Vegas last weekend and stopped by the BMW dealer there. They were selling the Minis for MSRP but were adding on $3500 in options. They indicated that they were selling a number of them to people out of state, particularly to those in Texas. However if the Mini is going out of state, they are adding $3500 without any of the options.

Old 04-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Chad
1st Gear
Mtn View, California at first had no mark up when we bought ours a month past now they are adding $1,000. + there are many extras on the ones they have available...perma plate, lojack, aero kit , CD changer etc...Good people to work w/ though and you can get a car!

Old 04-25-2002, 08:23 AM
wizardbill
1st Gear
I have been told different things about the waiting list. I want an automatic with basic options. I'm willing to pay MSRP, but that's it, let's be reasonable. SF says order now, deliver in late june (ro something). MountainView says maybe august. These were casual inquiries only. I may order soon. Who should i believe?

Old 04-25-2002, 01:46 PM
Chad
1st Gear
WB -
I was VERY happy w/ my expierence in Mtn View w/ salesman Ben. The Manager Lennie is also a very good guy. Good Luck! Chad :smile:

Old 05-05-2006, 02:32 PM
tshizzle
2nd Gear
what exactly is a Demo Model? I believe my car was a "demo" model at one point in its short life

Old 05-05-2006, 02:45 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tshizzle
what exactly is a Demo Model? I believe my car was a "demo" model at one point in its short life
A demo model is a car that the dealer held in their inventory so that potential customers could take it out for a test drive.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:52 PM
tshizzle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
A demo model is a car that the dealer held in their inventory so that potential customers could take it out for a test drive.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:33 PM
sprbxr
2nd Gear
Demos are sold after they reach a certain mileage or after a certain amount of time. Can't remember which.
Justin

Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
They are sold at a certain mileage or they have a limit on how long they can be a demo.

Not sure on Mini Dealerships, but most other dealerships it is 6 months or 6,000 miles.

Old 05-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Louisxiii
4th Gear
So in the case of Kansas City, they sold a demo that was over 6 months (or 6000 miles)?? If that's the case, sucks to be Kansas..J/K J/K!

Old 05-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Pamlico
3rd Gear
You might note that this post originated in April 2002 when the MINI was still very new in the US. The MCS was also just being released so selling a demo was likely against the rules BMW / MINI has set at that time.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
WB -
I was VERY happy w/ my expierence in Mtn View w/ salesman Ben. The Manager Lennie is also a very good guy. Good Luck! Chad :smile:
It would appear that the market in the S.F. Bay Area has softened a bit. When I started to get serious about getting a MINI (~6/04), Mountain View was selling the Cooper for MSRP+$2,500 (MCS were being sold for MSRP+$3,500) and there was a 3 month wait to place an order (which would take another 3 months until the car arrived at the dealer). I went out of state and paid MSRP in March of 2005 (and the car arrived in May, 2005). There are a number of dealers out there that will sell at MSRP; you just need to do a little homework.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
I think brand and imagine is indeed very very important. Mostly for a car like the MINI that wants to say im different. Good for BMW

Old 05-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Jersey_Bill
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
Still don't understand the issue unless they are rolling back the odometer. If I am a buyer and see 6,000 miles on the car and it is being represented as "new" (or sold for a new price), isn't that an "all facts on the table" transaction? Maybe that buyer is just happy to have the car despite its demo history? Don't get it. Now, if they are zapping the odo back to zero, then I say "fry em"....

B

Old 05-06-2006, 07:18 AM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
I don't know about what happened in 2002, but I can tell you that the BMW dealer in KC, Baron BMW, is in fact a MINI dealer as well today.

So either the original post was incorrect, or their status has changed since then. I honestly don't know which, but again I can confirm they are a MINI dealer today.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:25 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
I live in KC and Baron BMW is my dealer. I believe that they still sell MINIs. I bought one of the last ones that they had, but I dont think that is was a demo.

Originally Posted by KC MCS
I don't know about what happened in 2002, but I can tell you that the BMW dealer in KC, Baron BMW, is in fact a MINI dealer as well today.

So either the original post was incorrect, or their status has changed since then. I honestly don't know which, but again I can confirm they are a MINI dealer today.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:26 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jersey_Bill
Still don't understand the issue unless they are rolling back the odometer. If I am a buyer and see 6,000 miles on the car and it is being represented as "new" (or sold for a new price), isn't that an "all facts on the table" transaction? Maybe that buyer is just happy to have the car despite its demo history? Don't get it. Now, if they are zapping the odo back to zero, then I say "fry em"....
Well, from a market development perspective, if you are the manufacturer, and your dealer network has sold all of their cars and there is nothing available to keep interest in your cars up while you ramp production, you could see your investment get dissipated as customers go elsewhere. Think about it - if you couldn't even test drive a Cooper or an S (and a used market pretty much didn't exist), would you really hold off buying a car for 6+ months while the supply got ramped up? The thing that would cause BMW to go bats**t over would be if their $billion investment in the MINI tanked because dealers did not hold up their end of the bargain (demonstrators on hand, dedicated showrooms, etc.). That is why some dealers that apparently did not hold up their end of the bargain lost their allocations or worse yet, the dealership agreement was terminated.