R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Windows roll-down automatically while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Davisio
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came out of work today to find all my windows and sunroof open to the elements on a February day in Indiana. I've heard of this problem before so I tried not to over react. When I got into the car, I heard a clicking sound coming from the front right side of the dashboard. It was then that I realised that the car was in perpetual unlock mode. The fact that the boot release was also clicking uncontrollably in this manner confirmed this.
While my dealership was very helpful in helping me to go through as few things (reset auto-lock system, disconnect battery) the problems waas not solved. I then drove it to the dealer with the fear that this electrical problem would spread like a virus to things such as headlamps and turning indicators.
Although I made it to the dealership, it was not without incident. My windows and sunroof opened completely 5 times before I got there. Holding (and eventually duct taping) the switches to the closed position did nothing to prevent the inevitable complete opening of the window. Needless to say, it made very a very chilly ride.
My question is: What do I do now? The car is at the dealership. I have a loaner (which I kind of had to fight for), but it's an automatic plain cooper. I really want my S (all pkgs). I don't want to make the dealership angry with me because they have actually treated me remarkably well. (besides, it's not their fault).
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:36 PM
RonR
4th Gear
Hi Davisio,
Wow !!!! :smile:. Please let us know what the problem is.
Kind Regards,
Ron

Old 02-19-2003, 05:43 PM
jsun
6th Gear
Welcome Davisio to MCO! :smile:

I'm sure that the dealer where your car currently sits will solve the problem in short order. I personally haven't heard of this particular problem before, but it sounds like some sort of failure in either the switch bank (i.e., the connector block where all of the toggles feed back into the wiring harness) or perhaps that part of the ECU that controls the windows/locking. If it's the latter, hopefully it's a problem that can be fixed through reflashing the system ROM. But at any rate, it does sound fix-able.

Don't feel bad that you twisted their arm to give you a loaner! Rather, feel proud that you were able to do something that many, many other MINI owners have been unable to pull off. They SHOULD give us loaners... And even though you didn't get an S loaner, be thankful you didn't get a POS Toyota or Hyundai!

ps -- Too bad the duct tape didn't work. I hear that there's a lot of extra duct tape floating around and it'd be good to find a use for it.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Chobe
3rd Gear
I heard of this problem, the thing is that the button on the remote control to open the car got stuck, so all the time it’s sending the message to the car to open all windows and sunroof.
Tell the guys at the dealer to take you’re remote key apart and try to fix it there.
Chobe

Old 02-19-2003, 05:50 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
You did the correct thing. Let the dealer fix the car. They may have to reprogram it or replace something. Give them the chance to make it right.

I would be concerned if the problem is fixed and then starts up again, over and over, with your car in the shop many times. That's when I'd talk to the dealer. Until then, just be the great customer you already are to them.

anyway, for now, I'm sure they know you were shocked over this odd thing happening. Enjoy the loaner because some dealers do not offer them! and driving a basic MC will make you appreciate your baby even more!!

Please report back to us what the problem was or what the solution was.

Old 02-19-2003, 06:06 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First I have heard of this also. The key does sound like a reasonable thing to look at, but easy to rule out. Remove the bettery.

I assume you have the windows set to open with the remote. Although you say the boot was clicking also, and that shouldn't be.

Do please let us know what the solution ends up being. I am thinking flash the ROM sounds like the best bet.

RAT

Old 02-19-2003, 07:22 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Thank God you weren't getting 49 inches of snow while the sunroof was open!! Hope the dealer solves the problem. Update us on the resolution!

Old 02-19-2003, 08:04 PM
SuperMINI03
5th Gear
That sucks, hope you get everything back to normal.

Old 02-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Davisio
4th Gear
UPDATE!

I got my car back this afternoon.
It is not "fixed" as of yet. They have to order a new computer "module". That will take a week. In the mean time, since the symptoms did not repeat themselves at the dealer (of course), I will drive it as I normally have.
Next week (~wed) they will give me a call and arrange to pick it up while I'me at work, fix it and bring it back. That way I don't have to miss any work and they don't have to give me a loaner. Hey, works out for both parties in the end. What's the difference? I knew I liked my dealership (who, at this time, shall remain nameless. just know where i live and look it up yourself ).

Old 02-20-2003, 01:26 PM
wwwebb
5th Gear
Why the nameless dealership.
Makes no sense if they are good.
Let everyone know.

Put in a dealer rating on this site.

Old 02-20-2003, 01:38 PM
jsun
6th Gear
>>UPDATE!
>>
>>I got my car back this afternoon.
>>It is not "fixed" as of yet. They have to order a new computer "module". That will take a week. In the mean time, since the symptoms did not repeat themselves at the dealer (of course), I will drive it as I normally have.
>>Next week (~wed) they will give me a call and arrange to pick it up while I'me at work, fix it and bring it back. That way I don't have to miss any work and they don't have to give me a loaner. Hey, works out for both parties in the end. What's the difference? I knew I liked my dealership (who, at this time, shall remain nameless. just know where i live and look it up yourself ).
>>

So it's the ECU and not the key? Bingo

But do make sure that they get all of your dealer-programmed options, etc. restored if they're going to replace the main computer. Will save you a trip back to the dealer later.

Oh, and I guess I wouldn't travel too far from home if the computer is acting up this way. No reason to think that your problems won't return since nothing was actually done (yet) to make them go away. Park indoors.

Old 02-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Davisio
4th Gear
>>Why the nameless dealership.
>>Makes no sense if they are good.
>>Let everyone know.
>>
>>Put in a dealer rating on this site.

I have to leave something to the imagination. :smile: Besides, all the information necessary to figure it out is readilly available.