R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 CVT...ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 02:24 PM
snigglette
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone out there besides me HATE the fact that the CVT (cont. variable transmision) is a scam? the origianal minis dont "shift" like US cars do and in the test markets american didnt like that so they installed a sound and feel chip to make it seem like it is shifting, thus elimiateing some of the power! this is similar to how your digital camera makes a shutter click and film advancing sound after you take a picture.i amlooking for something to can over ride this. i know they exsit for other cars..help me make things right!!!

Old 07-16-2002, 03:19 PM
MiNi
1st Gear
I have never driven the new MINI(don't hate me) but I have heard alot of good news about it... And about the CVT. I thought that the CVT was to give more power then a regular auto tranny?

Old 07-16-2002, 04:22 PM
dukesantos
2nd Gear
I'm not sure I understand/agree with the supposed change to the CVT programming. In D or SD there is no shifting feel of the typical auto trans. If you manually hold/change gears by moving the lever up/down then there is a pronounced shift which is somewhat artificial since the CVT doesn't really have separate gears. This has to be artificial or you couldn't have this feature at all. I don't know what a sound chip is or where the speaker for this is? In short, I don't feel cheated, it is different from standard US autos, and once you get used to it you can get good performance from the CVT. The manual doesn't have low rpm power either, it is the size of the engine I think not the transmissions. Power really starts to come on around 3,000 rpm.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:11 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I don't feel cheated. I enjoy the CVT. I only notice the 'shifting' when accellerating hard in SD mode. If you want the quickest Cooper you should get the 5 speed. There is a small price to pay for the ease you get with CVT.

Old 07-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Vanwall
4th Gear
I realy like the CVT. You can leave it in D and loaf around town, getting better mileage, or Sport mode to get oomph. I like the fact it doesn't shift up & down noticeably, and I like the fact it has a more manual, engine-braking feel in Sport mode. I took it thru the twisties hereabouts, and it had plenty of power after 3,000 RPM - since I was not at a standing start, I got a better feel for the power-band in Sport, and could do the manual shift thing as well. 6 speeds and no clutch - instant downshifts, with power on. Oh yeah - I'll keep it.

BCNU,
Rob in Dago

Old 07-17-2002, 09:18 AM
xs1vgamer
1st Gear
I'm kinda curious. Every web post i've ever seen that mentions the CVT gas milage, people always tout it for better mpg than the standard. However, it CLEARLY states in MINI's own specsheet on their website, that the standard gets better mpg than the CVT! What makes ppl think that they get better fuel efficiency with the CVT? ops:

Old 07-17-2002, 09:26 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
People think they'll get better gas mileage because there are no actual shift points. It's callibrating new ratios over and over. Because of this, you should be able to run at an optimum RPM level, and thus use less gas. However, Just like an automatic tranny, although less, the CVT saps some of the power from the engine... In the end you are left with an automatic that nobody likes because they don't know how to use, and one that uses more gasoline.

Old 07-17-2002, 11:53 AM
LuC727
1st Gear
so what are u guys saying?
that CVT doesnt have any "gears/speeds"....that its all just one big gear and that a contraption in the tranny just makes it seem like it actually "shifts" by making noises?
thats wierd, i was never aware of that, but sounds really interesting
(nonetheless, my MINIs coming manual)

Old 07-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
The CVT has no gears... Just as the name implies, it's continuously variable, meaning it's adjusting ratios non-stop. The thing people are complaining about is that the makes a sound, and feels like it's changing gears when it's not... confusing...yes

Old 07-17-2002, 03:01 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
>>What makes ppl think that they get better fuel efficiency with the CVT?

Because in theory, the CVT is more efficient than any other transmission because it optimizes the drive ratio according to throttle demand, engine speed, and drive speed, sort of like a variable-pitch propellor in an aircraft engine.

In actuality, the CVT is more efficient than conventional automatic transmissions by elimination of the torque converter and replacing the gears with pulleys and a belt. But it is still less efficient than a manual transmission, because there are still losses associated with the hydraulic (or electromagnetic) clutch, hydraulic pulley actuation, and added weight.