R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Replacing air filter... what kind of clamp is that?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:54 AM
schernov
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing air filter... what kind of clamp is that?

I am going to replace my air filter. Did a search, looks like you have to disconnect the intake hose from the airbox to remove it.... what the heck kind of clamp is that and how do you open it / close it up. I am used to either squeeze type or screw type of clamp, not this one....
How do I undo it and put it back together?
Is there a way to remove the airbox cover w/o undoing this clamp?
thanks!

Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are these small claw looking part where you can undo (pry) with a small regular screw driver. It will unlock itself.

It is reusable by clamping (use a pair of plyers) the claw you undid with the little hump the clamp has.

(man, if you can understand this explanation you are a genius! sorry.
but honestly, that's basically how you would do it. If you look at the
clamp you'll know what im talking about)

Old 11-03-2005, 03:35 PM
schernov
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
There are these small claw looking part where you can undo (pry) with a small regular screw driver. It will unlock itself.

It is reusable by clamping (use a pair of plyers) the claw you undid with the little hump the clamp has.

(man, if you can understand this explanation you are a genius! sorry.
but honestly, that's basically how you would do it. If you look at the
clamp you'll know what im talking about)
Hey, thanks man. Does it take a lot of pressure to put it back together?
By the way, I noticed you are from Chicago, which dealer do you go to?
We went to Knauz first time, and their advisors are nice, but they totally lack any technical knowledge what so ever, plus they really try to screw you on pricing ....
Second visit was to Patrik Mini, which was WAY better. Very professional, took care of stuff, very nice.
Have not tried Bill Jacobs yet...

Old 11-03-2005, 04:43 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
naw, you can just put it back together with regular pliers.

mine's from Patrick. :smile:

Old 11-03-2005, 05:08 PM
eb/w minster
1st Gear
gday schernov.it is possible to remove the airfilter without disconnecting the intake hose.undo the two hex/star shaped screws that hold the airbox lid on n lift it up at the front.it has two slots that hold the back down.push the airbox lid towards the rear of the car till its free of the slots.then u can lift the lid up with a bit of fiddling to access the air filter.make sure the airbox lid is back in the two rear slots when u put it back together.or you could just take the clamps down to an auto shop n get some normal ones.thats what i did after fiddling with the stock ones.good luck:smile:

Old 11-03-2005, 05:12 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i thought you were changing to a cone filter.

if a drop in, yeh, as above you can replace the filter without undoing the clamps.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
schernov
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
i thought you were changing to a cone filter.

if a drop in, yeh, as above you can replace the filter without undoing the clamps.
I am just replacing regular one...

Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
schernov
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eb/w minster
gday schernov.it is possible to remove the airfilter without disconnecting the intake hose.undo the two hex/star shaped screws that hold the airbox lid on n lift it up at the front.it has two slots that hold the back down.push the airbox lid towards the rear of the car till its free of the slots.then u can lift the lid up with a bit of fiddling to access the air filter.make sure the airbox lid is back in the two rear slots when u put it back together.or you could just take the clamps down to an auto shop n get some normal ones.thats what i did after fiddling with the stock ones.good luck:smile:
Excellent, so the cop cover has two slots in it for the bottom portion pegs to go into.. excellent. Usually it is the other way arround....

Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
115hp
5th Gear
If you decide not to undo the clamp, just take great care in the "bit of fiddling", as those tabs and slots break off rather easily if you're not careful.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't even bother trying to replace it -- go by a Breeze Clamp and life will improve vastly.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Can one use just your standard metal hose clamp instead of the OEM? I looked at it and realize that there are some irregularities in the groove where the clamp would seat... WHY not have a just a standard, simple hose clamp? Quirky.

OmToast, where can I get a Breeze Clamp? (In the meantime I'll look online while I'm still here at work...)

Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
Can one use just your standard metal hose clamp instead of the OEM? I looked at it and realize that there are some irregularities in the groove where the clamp would seat... WHY not have a just a standard, simple hose clamp? Quirky.

OmToast, where can I get a Breeze Clamp? (In the meantime I'll look online while I'm still here at work...)

Standard metal hose clamp? Most CAI kits come with such things for their special intake hoses.

Breeze Clamps make some good stuff in the hose clamp industry. My oil cooler thermostat came with a custom contour T-bolt clamp from these guys, though I couldn't use is due to space limitations.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
if we're talking intake system use a 'zip tie' aka a 'wire tie' aka flexible hand cuffs (some of you may be MOST familiar with that term ) .... not like there's a bunch of pressure here. I've had one on my 02 since I installed the K&N and it ain't gone know where......

Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I replaced my stock airbox with a JCW I took those clamps & threw them in the recycle bin. A standard hose clamp has worked fine for 43,000 miles.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:06 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to keep the original clamp, it is very easy to clip back on if you use a small set of channel lock pliers. You grasp the open clamp as shown in the picture, close the pliers with a slight rock to the right and the "claw" part will snap on to the ridge. (Shown is the smallest set of pliers from Craftsman.)

Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofioliti
If you want to keep the original clamp, it is very easy to clip back on if you use a small set of channel lock pliers. You grasp the open clamp as shown in the picture, close the pliers with a slight rock to the right and the "claw" part will snap on to the ridge. (Shown is the smallest set of pliers from Craftsman.)

Thanks for this post. I was able to reconnect the clamp with a narrow-jaw Vise Grip. I also added a zip tie to the base of the ITG filter that I use instead of the MINI paper filters, the latter quite absurdly priced. BTW, I have the JCW airbox.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
I managed to re-used the original clamp. Let me tell you, I spent over 30min trying to fiddle with the damn thing. At last, I figured it took a plier to squeeze it togather and let the 2 hook thingy slid over the hump instead of trying to pull it together.

However, I noticed the shape of the hooks change a bit after prying them opened. Should I just get a new replacement? It seems to be secured, but I don't know if it will pop loose in motion, especially with the stiff ride.

Has anyone experienced problem re-using the clamp?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 PM
115hp
5th Gear
I've reused mine many, many times and still have the originals (2002). I usually put a CAI on for the winter and use the stock airbox in the summer. Since I only do it twice a year, it stilll take me a while to get it done. I usually use robogrip pliers, the ones with an "overbite" action.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Eric Campbell
3rd Gear
I just checked on mine (I just purchased the car recently) and there is NO clamp on there. None. Oh boy.