R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Order was wrong! Manual instead of Auto! HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
jpsmini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Order was wrong! Manual instead of Auto! HELP...

When talking to the finance guy at Classic Mini (Cleveland), I found out that my Mini is arriving this week, but it's a Manual instead of Automatic (CVT)! I know how to drive stick, but opted for the Automatic because of the hassle of shifting in heavy traffic. Made a "deal" with the Mini Dealer: added a couple of options for free...alarm, which I wanted, and Illuminated Door Sills, which I wanted, but thought were really too expensive (anyone know what it costs to buy & install those?). But now I'm really wondering if I should do this. The stick shift may be fun at first, but will I grow to hate it & regret my decision? I've been without a car now for almost 3 months & couldn't bear to wait for another one to be made according to my specs. What should I do?

I'm anxious to try the manual, but want to know what the advantages/disadvantages to this are. The finance guy said that 85% of Mini's ordered are manual, not automatic (I was concerned about how hard it would be to sell a manual when the time comes). Do you think this is true?

Please help...I may be picking up my Mini on Friday!

Old 10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
hollis3
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
I was hesitant to get a manual after years of automatics, after all, Southern California traffic is terrible. But I am happy with the choice. In fact, the only way I would change is when MINI offers manual sequential shifters.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:48 PM
jdmarino
4th Gear
try it, you'll like it

I bought a manual WITHOUT knowing how to drive one. I'm having a blast.

I'm not sure if this is good advice, but you are free to ignore it.

MINIs hold their value. You paid MSRP, yes? If you drive the car for a few months and decide that a stick is a hassle, I bet you can sell it at close to what you paid. Think of it as renting. And perhaps you can sell it to some poor Californian for MSRP, since they typically pay a premium for their cars.

My bet is you won't be able to part with it.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:49 PM
SOCRATES
3rd Gear
Hmmm, tough call. A manual is great fun, but as you have outlined, can be a pain during daily commutes of stop and go driving. The problem is, if you do grow weary of the manual, it will be rather difficult to change it out, save for selling the car itself most likely....

Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Dweezil
1st Gear
I've driven a stick since I started driving (30+ yrs). We've had automatics, but my car has always been a stick.

There's no hassle in traffic, no hassle on hills, etc. You do what you need to when you use a clutch.

$0.02 worth.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 PM
MrV
4th Gear
Man! That beats my "Grey instead of Black seats" problem on delivery!

-- Jay

Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Digital
1st Gear
JPS,

What are the specs on your car? I might be willing to horse trade...

Old 10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive a manual and wouldn't buy an automatic ... unless I lived in a place where I was dealing with a lot of stop-and-go traffic.

See if they'll loan you a manual to try for a day or so. If you decide that you can live with it, go for the deal. If you think you'd still prefer the automatic, stick to your guns and insist on that.

The Sacto dealership seems to have a lot more trouble moving their automatic transmission cars. I stopped by recently to check out their stock of MCS's, and all they had was... CVT's! Maybe they can find an automatic transmision car for you at some other dealership. Maybe you'd have to settle for an MCS!

Old 10-25-2005, 08:57 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Be sure to do what really makes you happy and suits your lifestyle, even if you have to wait for it you'll be happier in the end - other people's opinions on this don't really mean a shake ultimately.

People can say its no hassle to drive a stick in traffic and on hills all they want but it sure is to me and when I moved to SF I was happier having the auto on my MCS (and actually love it and the paddles, I really don't think I'd change it under other circumstances now). Ask to test drive a couple of loaner cars, manual and CVT and perhaps that will clear the issue for you.

Edit: Since it was the dealer's fault perhaps they can/should source another car made to your specs, or an available slot going into production and provide you a loaner car in the meantime.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:19 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, and I'd never dream of driving an automatic, but really this depends on what you think you can handle or what you actually want. How long is the wait if you just reorder? I know in New England the waits are down to 4-6 weeks. Good luck; that's a tough decision!

Old 10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
francisk
6th Gear
If I were you, I will stick with what I want.. Sometimes traffic did kill your left leg when you drive a stick. And that is the main reason you want an auto.

Originally Posted by jpsmini
..... The finance guy said that 85% of Mini's ordered are manual, not automatic (I was concerned about how hard it would be to sell a manual when the time comes). Do you think this is true? ....
BTW, I think the fiance guy just give you BS.
Most of the MC in the market are auto trans... But it is a different story for MCS, since Auto only introduce from 2005. And the sales figure of the MCS was goes up after Jan 2005 since people can buy an auto trans MCS (I am almost one of those, since my wife don't know manual trans.)... If you are in big city, traffic is terrible, lots of people are just like you. They will choose an auto transmission, then that mean auto trans is in higher demand than manual.. On the flip side, if you don't care about resale and traffic, manual is always more fun than auto.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 PM
TrippleBeem
3rd Gear
You could prolly adjust and learn to like, if not love, the manual, but that isnt the issue here! The issue is that you should be satisfied with your order, and not let the salesman push you into any decisions... The idea of waiting for another order to complete is dificult, I've just waited 2 months for my '06 and it was rough, so I see where you are coming from. I would demand more of a discount on the car, or some sort of great incentive for you not to call Mini USA and raise consumer hell. I'm not trying to flame your Mini Sales Associate, but come on, your making a huge purchase here and you deserve to be treated RIGHT!

Ryan

Old 10-25-2005, 09:50 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TrippleBeem
I would demand more of a discount on the car, or some sort of great incentive for you not to call Mini USA and raise consumer hell.
It won't happen. MINI dealers know they can turn around and sell the car to somebody who walks in the door tomorrow. There's no incentive to bend over backwards to fix major blunders like this one. Probably the best you could hope for (beyond what they've already offered) is to be bumped to the front of the line for a new order.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:11 PM
RustyPaint
2nd Gear
Manual in the city is not as bad as people clame, espeshaly with a 4 cylinder. Just don't ride the bumper infront of you like every one else dose with there autos. Smooth out the stop and go rhythm and you will pump you clutch pettel less. Personaly I like manual in city driveing since you can run in 4th at city speeds and it inproves your reaction time for breaking since you have engine breaking the instant you lett of the gass. But my stop and go time it about 15 to 20 min a day with 3 traffic lights, so I can live with that. (never understood why it takes longer to go home that it dose to goto work )

Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When talking to the finance guy at Classic Mini (Cleveland), I found out that my Mini is arriving this week, but it's a Manual instead of Automatic (CVT)! I know how to drive stick, but opted for the Automatic because of the hassle of shifting in heavy traffic. Made a "deal" with the Mini Dealer: added a couple of options for free...alarm, which I wanted, and Illuminated Door Sills, which I wanted, but thought were really too expensive (anyone know what it costs to buy & install those?). But now I'm really wondering if I should do this. The stick shift may be fun at first, but will I grow to hate it & regret my decision? I've been without a car now for almost 3 months & couldn't bear to wait for another one to be made according to my specs. What should I do?

I'm anxious to try the manual, but want to know what the advantages/disadvantages to this are. The finance guy said that 85% of Mini's ordered are manual, not automatic (I was concerned about how hard it would be to sell a manual when the time comes). Do you think this is true?

Man, i feel for ya.

Ritz is kind of ignorant. I like all the MA's at Classic, but Ritz and Brown's son or whoever that runs the place are kinda....out of place.

Woohoo, another MINI owner, i hope its staying in NE Ohio!!!!

Up for a drive to break it in? (the correct answer is yes )

hehe

Old 10-25-2005, 11:19 PM
MGear
5th Gear
If you have on your original order slip that you ordered a an automatic than tell them to give the manual to someone else, you want what you ordered! Don't be concerend about the dealership they will unload that puppy faster than they can prep it.

I had a similar problem, originally I had ordered the Multi function Steering wheel the car arrived without it and I have regreted taking it as is ever since. The incentive to take it was it was the 146th new Mini delivered in the USA and thay gave me Mini T shirt identifying the car as the 146th one sold.

Another issue here that I don't think anyone has mentioned is you will get about 2 maybe even 3 miles to the gallon (depending on how you drive) better gas mileage with a manual than an automatic and that can certainly add up if you do even the most moderate mileage a day.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
I got a manual... and no way woud I have got a automatic, unless I had some reason why I couldn't clutch.... see if the MA will give you a manual to borrow.... if you don't like it... then stick to your gut feeling!

Old 10-25-2005, 11:39 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
jps, I recommend that you go test-drive all the MINI models to see which transmission you like best. You may find that the manual is too much fun NOT to have. Good luck! :smile:

Clover

Old 10-26-2005, 12:49 AM
effusant
3rd Gear
I consider myself a driving purist. I live in southern California. I would never consider owning anything BUT a manual transmission in a car. Shifting is not a bad thing. It will keep you more aware of the car's performance and more cognizant of your surroundings. By puttign more responsibilty in your part in the functioning of the machine, you become part of the machine. You become a driver rather than an operator. And the best part is that manual transmission have clutches instead of torque convertors. The steel connection between the engine and wheels present with a manual transmission is necessary for top efficiency and top performance. Fluid dynamics don't allow for things like engine braking and even the best automatics cannot predict the desires of the driver well enough to shift as well as they would have to to perform as well as a capable driver should demand. Cars are not point and click devices. I say keep the stick. But I am admittedly biased.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:55 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
auto

--Where do you live jpsmini? If your city is a traffic jam central place like Honolulu or Los Angeles then yeah the auto is golden. Especially if you smoke. I just picked up my MCS with auto tiptronic and it's awesome. But I can understand that a lot of people prefer manual. For people who are used to it or want more performance it's the only way to go. A lot of my friends shift instinctively and drive their 5 speeds without even concentrating on the whole process.

There IS a learning curve though. You'll quickly learn that stopping on an upward slant sucks if you don't have good clutch control. And if you can't feel your way around the gears without looking down at the pattern you might be doing the "if you can't find it, grind it" shifts.

I think there's some good advice on this board. Ask for a test drive in the 5 speed. If you like it keep the order. If you can't stand it and your order contract says "AUTO" then make the dealer eat it and wait for your true baby. You won't know until you try it. And since it's the dealers fault for messing up your order, they should sacrifice a demo car for your peace of mind.

Best of luck.

--pyratio

Old 10-26-2005, 04:50 AM
jpsmini
1st Gear
Thanks everyone!

Wow, really great posts here in response to my dilema! I am encouraged by those who drive manual & really enjoy it. I know that once I get used to it again, it will be like second nature. Many of you made a great suggestion: try a manual for a couple days & see how it feels. I'm going to do just that.

My MA at Classic has been very good to me throughout the process. But I did go over the specs with him a couple times (as recently as last week) & he said it was ordered as a Automatic. So I don't know who got it wrong...the MA or a computer glitch.

After waiting for over 2 months, I can't bring myself to thinking about ordering a new one. You all know how awful the wait is! So I'll try using a manual & see how it feels. Then decide what to do.

BTW, here are the specs (if there are no more surprises!) to my Mini:

Space Blue
Chrome interior & exterior
Cold Weather Package
Convenience Package
DSC
Front & Rear Fog
Xenon
Sport Seats
Grey/Black Leatherette
Anthracite Interior surface & headliner
Auto A/C
Nav. system
Multifunction Wheel
*Alarm
*Illuminated Door Sills with Mini Logo
*Free

And yes, it will be staying in Cleveland (except for vacations!).

Thanks to all for the great posts...feel free to continue offering your thoughts!

James

Old 10-26-2005, 05:45 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's just harder to eat, smoke and drive all at the same time.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:02 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
JPS,

Most of us drive our manual cars in urban environments more than in pastoral settings. But that doesn't mean that we think of it as a hassle. Far from it. The MINI clutch is light, the car responds well to aggressive treatment (read FUN) and, let's be honest here, the MINI is really best experienced as a manual for the ultimate in motoring. Hey ya got the perfect initals too: JPS.

Yeah, it's got a manual.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LizzyBobio
It's just harder to eat, smoke and drive all at the same time.
You left out using the cell phone.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:31 AM
ski
2nd Gear
If this happened to me I would refuse to take the car and reorder for what I wanted. I do the lighted door sills and alarm. I did forget to order the alarm but finally got it installed six months later. ski

Quick Reply: R50/53 Order was wrong! Manual instead of Auto! HELP...