R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Zombie Mini drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:28 AM
macaid
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the Official Mini Wave or Sign?

I hope I am not bringing up a topic that already has been posted 10K times, but I am curious to know if there is an official Mini wave or sign that drivers use to greet each other while "Motoring On" down the road. You know like Morks "Nanu Nanu" thing or whatever?

Old 03-05-2005, 09:57 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing official. I usually wave with a few fingers w/ my hands still on the steering wheel. If it's one of my fellow neighborhood owners, I notch it up a bit w/ a big toothy grin and a full-hand wave. If it's Saturday morning, the roads are uncongested, and I'm just out motoring about, flashing the lights and beeping the horn are not out of the question. AND......if it's a really nice day and the windows are down I'll lean out the window and do all the above. See, its just about friendliness, that's all.

(...this has been brought up before, but so has almost anything else MINI-related, so no problem.)

Old 03-05-2005, 10:04 AM
XAlfa
Banned
The days of waving are long gone, my friend.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:18 AM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XAlfa
Maybe in Berkely! LA MINIs seem plenty friendly.

_Dave_

Old 03-05-2005, 10:29 AM
3 WIRE
2nd Gear
What no more waving? Since When??? Here's to ya macaid

Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 AM
greven
2nd Gear
I think most people try to wave. I know the times I didn't wave where when I didn't see the vehicle in time. No need to get in an accident to say hi.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:09 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I wave or flash my lights at every MINI I see.

The closest one in my area is 20 miles away.

I, if lucky see a MINI once every 5/6 months driving down the street.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:09 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I know of several minis I have waved to lately in my area and they seem to give me a odd look. I sometimes wave, honk or flash my lights.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The frequency of friendly people is decreasing for me.

When I first bought (in late 02) everone waved. Now it's about 30%. I think as the car enters the main stream, less are into it for the Mini ness, and just think it's a cute car. They don't share the fever. I live in the SF bay area, and there are now tons of Minis around (My neighborhood of 81 houses has at least three, and maybe as many as five Minis. but mine was first.....)

The same thing has happened in my Mustang. Old Mustanger wave at each other (afterall, not many cars are still on the road 40 years after they leave the factory) but all the new drivers don't share the feeling. Well, most don't. One woman in a new Mustang asked what my car was, I told her it was a 65 Mustang, like her car only older. She didn't even know that the 64 1/2 launch of the Mustang was one of the most significant dates in US automotive history, and had no idea the marque had been around so long. She didn't even notic ehtat the shape of the running horse (the Pony...) is pretty much unchanged between her car and mine! Just the size and the placement. (Seh made me feel old )

It's the price that's paid for widespread adoption. The Magic fades for many who aren't as into it as us early adoptors.

Matt

Old 03-05-2005, 12:15 PM
MerrieMini
Neutral
There aren't many in my area and I"m the only convertable right now so we do a little wave over the steering wheel. When I ride with the top down, I get alot of looks and stares and some cellphone pictures, thats taken some getting used to.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i used to have an 81 vette, so i'm used to the waving stuff. most of the people that own minis in my area are women that kinda stare at me when i wave at them, but, then again, most of them are driving their cr/w MCS convertables because they look cute

Old 03-05-2005, 12:45 PM
macaid
2nd Gear
Well, I don't have my Mini yet (still in que for production) but once I get it, I am sure going to wave at every Mini I see. I am going to take it upon myself to start up a traditional Mini salute! I will do the wave and the headlight thing. During the day, you guys think I should high beam with my rally lights for added attention or is that just showing off?

Old 03-05-2005, 01:10 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs

The same thing has happened in my Mustang. Old Mustanger wave at each other (afterall, not many cars are still on the road 40 years after they leave the factory) but all the new drivers don't share the feeling. Well, most don't. One woman in a new Mustang asked what my car was, I told her it was a 65 Mustang, like her car only older. She didn't even know that the 64 1/2 launch of the Mustang was one of the most significant dates in US automotive history, and had no idea the marque had been around so long. She didn't even notic ehtat the shape of the running horse (the Pony...) is pretty much unchanged between her car and mine! Just the size and the placement. (Seh made me feel old )

Matt

Welcome to the old club.

The 64 1/2 Mustang is usually included in lists of all time best industrial designs of the 20th Century. Similar to the MINI its sales outperformed production. Dissimilar from the MINI early Mustang drivers (then, not 40 years hence) did not wave to each other. Their acknowledgement was probably a lot more subtle--such as, "What did SHE have to do to get THAT?" I read that the hardtop was a hit with women. I did not read, but assume, the fastback was popular with men. Not sure where that leaves the convertible. Wow. A model for each sex.

I recall back as a child in the "olden" days (when Ike was weekending at Camp David) that all "sports" car drivers waved to each other. Didn't matter what make they were driving. Almost. Back then, I used to dawdle in the local Ferrari-Maserati repair shop and was taken on test runs. No one waved at those cars. Probably figured they wouldn't receive acknowledgement. Yet the Ferrari owners I met there were very nice and always had time to talk about their cars or give me a ride--just car nuts with a bit more money to spend.

These days people ought to take a moment to wave.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
macaid, what kind of wheels are those on your A4? They could look nice on the MCS if available

Old 03-05-2005, 03:28 PM
macaid
2nd Gear
They are 17" Ronals R-38's. The company makes lots of stock rims for Audi & BMW. http://www.ronalusa.com/wheels/r38.html

Old 03-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Lorkin
2nd Gear
About 40% of the MINI drivers here in Columbus, OH wave. I did get one full light salute as well. The road I take to work is a very busy 4 divided four lane with stop lights every 50 ft so mabye other MINI drivers are paying attention to driveing and not scanning for other MINI's. I try and wave at all the MINI's I see though.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:03 PM
James@webbmotorsports
2nd Gear
Bout 60-70% for me

In my area i see a fair amount of Mini's, but i too sometimes get the weird dirty look when i flash the wave. But there are still people around here who will honk the horn a flash the lights so i'm still keeping hope that it wont fade. On a similar note, about three or four weeks ago i was driving home from school and some guy in the exact inverted Mini to mine (his was PW/PW) and i drove the freeway like a convoy, it was a fun time, gotta love the Mini Club.
Peace,
James

Old 03-05-2005, 05:32 PM
lotsie
Banned
I hardly see another MINI,
but when we do see each other we tend to wave

Old 03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by macaid
I hope I am not bringing up a topic that already has been posted 10K times, but I am curious to know if there is an official Mini wave or sign that drivers use to greet each other while "Motoring On" down the road. You know like Morks "Nanu Nanu" thing or whatever?
First, yes you are bringing up a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum, there are at least 30 threads on this that will come up if you do a search on the topic.

Second there's no official wave. You just wave, if the other driver isn't oblvious they'll wave back...

And waving isn't dead it's just not common, I got one from a BRG/BRG MCSC as I drove on I-95 South and got on the inner loop of the DC Beltway today...

Old 03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
shack01
2nd Gear
Still uncommon enough in Vegas that folks tend to wave; lots of waving this weekend what with AMVIV in town with (just guessing) 100+ minis.

The thread reminds me of the ongoing debate with the same topic on forums that cover my other toy, the one with 2 wheels. HD and other V-twin owners always wave unless you'd crash by doing so. But, does one wave to a crotch rocket or other metric cruiser? The debate rages on!!

shack01

I'll get to work on the signature block. :smile:

Old 03-05-2005, 07:19 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
The car in the main stream I think has something to do with it. I am a new ('05) buyer but I was at the car show when they released them in '02 so I have been here for a while but just haven't gotten my car. I passed a Cooper S today in INDY that was almost the same as mine and I looked at the guy who was driving it getting ready to wave, but he was looking away and almost seemed like I was just another car on the road, it shouldn't be like this! I think (though I don't like traveling 3 hours to my dealer) that MINI has done a good job with homoligation, and this kind of drives people who kinda like the car (but not like us) from buying them. I see alot of women "driving", I say this because I think they just bought it 'cause it was so "cute", you know the velvet red MC/A type! Anyway I wave at them and they give me this puzzled look, like; do I know you? It seems the only people that wave to me are the hot chicks who dig my ride! If we (everyone who drives a MINI classic, or new) could come together and be like we (NAMERS) are, we could be a world super power, except we wouldn't have the nukes, just motoring holidays, and there would be no tailgating, and cutting off, and our roads wouldn't have a speed limit!

Sorry just dreamin'
Mikey

Old 03-05-2005, 07:29 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by XAlfa
I'm worried that you're right. I ALWAYS wave, but no one waves back.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by imavunderbrah
I'm worried that you're right. I ALWAYS wave, but no one waves back.
To all that don't get a wave back,here's one from us:thumbsu p:
Me,Ruby and Poco:smile::smile::smile:

Old 03-05-2005, 07:48 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Old 03-05-2005, 08:03 PM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
It used to be common, it is definately on the downfall, I still wave at every MINI I see.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Zombie Mini drivers...