R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Steering column on the right??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 12:24 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if it would be possible (and if possible how much it would cost) to get a mini built like the british minis?? With the steering wheel built on the right instead of the left? I just thought it would be neat having it on the "English" side!!

I would probably be better off asking a dealership.... but i thought i'd just pose the question here first! Maybe a dealer can pop in and answer the question?! Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers!
Dave

Old 12-12-2002, 12:26 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... I wonder if the US gov't would let us have that much fun?

Old 12-12-2002, 12:29 PM
DaveFrehley
4th Gear
That would be fun!!! I don't see why they wouldn't allow it...but you never know! Hence the reason for questioning! hehehehe

If i could get a "righty" mini i'd be unique amongst uniquity! hehehehehe (did that make sense??? BAH, who cares! LMAO)

Old 12-12-2002, 12:42 PM
Gus
1st Gear
Talk to your insurance agent before you do this, you may change your mind. I don't know if it's legal to retrofit a left hand drive car over to right hand drive, but it is legal to import a right hand drive car. There are firms in the UK that specialize in the assorted paperwork and smog modifications needed to bring the car into the US. I looked into importing a Mini "classic" when I moved back to the States a few years ago and the cost was anywhere from $3,000 - to $5,000 depending on what needed to be done (plus shipping). Assume that the new Mini would be in the same price range.

Old 12-12-2002, 02:02 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
You would have an easier time importing a British spec MINI than modifying yours, if it's even possible.

There are very few if any restrictions on importing modern British cars into the US.

I was working there 6 years and moved back to the US from the UK a few years ago. I took a US spec car to the UK and brought a UK spec car back to the US. NO questions no modifications no hassles.

Has anyone asked their MINI dealer if they could get the UK spec model? They still make their money, what should it matter to them if it's US or UK spec. Could put extra cash in their pockets because it would be a special order.

You will have to deal with the fact that there are different parts on each type and will cost you dearly to have anything repaired that would require then.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
P.Phresh
1st Gear
Passing on the highways with a right hand drive MINI would be suicide. I think there are some laws prohibiting this conversion unless the cars is 15+ years old, or something like that.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Verruckt
4th Gear
You guys have all overlooked one very interesting loophole in the Right-hand-drive area... rural privatized mail carriers. Privately owned cars with right-hand drive. And not older cars, either. I've seen brand-new Subarus with the conversion.

Something else to think about. With the old Minis, you could have the column shifted for like $100. ANd looking at the left/right symmetry in the new MINI, I'm betting it isn't all that complicated. ESPECIALLY since it is designed to be assembled both ways. You swap the steering column for the glove box/aribad, relocate the pedal assembly, flip the rackand pinion, and reassemble. All of the major instrumentation is in the center of the dash, and doesn't move, and all the electricals are modular and should be plug-and-play.

So you just have to find out how to get a part-time job as a mail carrier!

(G.I.R.)

Old 12-13-2002, 12:32 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
dave frehley wrote:

>>That would be fun!!! I don't see why they wouldn't allow it...but you never know! Hence the reason for questioning! hehehehe
>>
>>If i could get a "righty" mini i'd be unique amongst uniquity! hehehehehe

Dave!

What a cool idea to go for the righty! (I expect nothing less from our creative Dave!) Keep us posted if you find anything out...

Cheers!
Clover

Old 12-13-2002, 03:59 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Dave, if I were you, I'd try to get some comparable experience driving a car configured the opposite from everyone else on the road FIRST before bothering to convert your MINI. For example, go to England/Scotland and drive an un-converted American car for a week. See what you think of the experience before committing your own car to it.

I've spent pleanty of time driving on the left...but in a car configured the same as everyone else's on the road. I don't know what it'd be like to be opposite...for real.

That said, I agree with the poster re. the ease of doing this conversion in a car that's actually designed for it. Everything should swap nicely (and the hood release is already there )

There are 2 or 3 mail carriers in my town who have left-drive Subarus. And, I've seen jeeps, etc. similarly modified. I also see any number of imported left-drive cars all of the time. I don't think there's really anything illegal about it (and no, you don't need to be a mail carrier)...it's just not something that many people would want to deal with if they didn't have a mighty compelling reason. IMO.

Old 12-13-2002, 08:51 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I drove a US spec Ford Probe for 6 years in the UK. It was a blast. Passing on the narrow roads could get the heart to skip a beat. Also drove both right and left hand spec cars in Japan for 7 years.

You have to give it some thought when starting out, but once you learn what side of the street you need to stay on, I loved it. Switching back and forth between the two spec cars was easy.

You do feel stupid though jumping in to the passenger seat thinking it's the driver's seat.