R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Bargin $500 Mini - LED Hyperflash

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 02:53 PM
robj
4th Gear
Received 290 Likes on 179 Posts
Bargin $500 Mini - LED Hyperflash

So I replaced the fogged up rear taillights with these blacked out LEDs.

Amazon Amazon

They did come with load resistors already installed.

I'm probably going to ditch the self stick tape and screw them to the sheet metal for additional heat dissipation.

I also installed blacked out LED side marker lights, [the ones that flash with the turn signals] but have the original front lights, [turn signals]

Blacked out LED

After I had the hyper flash issue, I removed the LED from the sidelight and replaced them with original, [non-LED] bulbs and the hyper flash went away, so obviously these were the issue and I assume they need a load resister as well.
My issue is I'm not sure a load resister would fit in the are where the side marker is. I mean I guess I could push one in there but I don't think I could attach it to anything. Is it ok that it just "dangles"?
Has anyone dealt with this differenty?

Thanks,
rob

Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 PM
robj
4th Gear
Received 290 Likes on 179 Posts
So to follow up. I bought a 4 pack of Load Resistors off Amazon for like 8-9 dollars.

Took the side marker lens and the "S" emblem out. then took the washer bottle out of the drivers side foe access to the wiring for the light. . Then stared at things a while trying to figure out how to wire this up, [I mean I knew how to wire it up], just not where the Load Resister would go so I could mount it directly to metal for the heat sink properties. [reportedly they get really hot]

After staring at things for about 5 minutes and finishing the other half of my beer I said screw it... The LEDs are cool and all but just not worth the aggravation of the installation.
If anyone wants the ones I bought for like 10 bucks [less than 1/2 price] and the cost of shipping, let me know. First come first served. Hell, I'll even throw in 2 load resisters.

As the OEM lenses were a little foggy and I actually broke one getting them apart, [or more accurately it fell apart] I bought these;

Described as; Unique Euro Light Frosted Smoke Lens! Smoke lens is not painted on or tinted on, it is made that way. Therefore, it will not fade.
In my opinion, close enough.

Amazon Amazon

They are a little darker than the OEM white, but I can use the standard bulbs so no Hyper Flash.

Sometimes you just have to take the "path of least resistance".
[that's a really good play on words there, I hope someone gets it...]

robj

Last edited by robj; 01-21-2020 at 09:26 PM.