R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Aux and charging not working together

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 PM
KalenaR
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Aux and charging not working together

Hey, everyone! I hope your are having a wonderful evening. I have an R53 that we are having an issue with and I hope someone here has some insight.

I have been able to charge my iPhone 8 and play my music on it by using the Belkin adapter that plugs into the lightning port on my phone. The unit has a 3.5 mm earphone jack which plugs into the auxiliary port in my car along with a lightning cable to the cigarette lighter USB adapter. With all three plugged in, it worked very well for a long time. Charging and music!

Recently, I haven’t been able to do this. As soon as I plug in the lightning cord to charge the phone while music is playing, the stereo drops the “aux” and goes to the regular radio. We have checked and changed the fuse for the cigarette lighter. We have tested the Belkin unit with my headsets and charging in the house. It works well. So the issue doesn’t look to be the Belkin unit. We also tried with two different cigarette lighter USB adapters. Plus it be the cigarette lighter unit in the car?

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what could be wrong. I sure don’t want to run my phone battery down. And I hate listening to local radio.

Thank you in advance!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
It's a common and well known problem with the 1st generation MINI (search for "ground loop isolator" in this forum).
The solution is to put a ground loop isolator between your phone and the aux input.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-19-2018, 04:56 AM
KalenaR
1st Gear
RKW, so if I add ground loop isolator, I’ll be able to charge my iPhone 8 and play music at the same time?

This is the Belkin unit that plugs into my phone. The other two inputs are the auxiliary jack and for the lightning charging cable to the cigarette lighter USB. This system worked flawlessly until recently. So, to make sure I’m understanding correctly, the ground loop isolator would plug into the aux jack input in the car and then the aux line would plug into both the ground loop isolator and the Belkin unit. Is this correct?

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
The connection would be Aux In => ground loop isolator => audio cable => Belkin (and the Belkin also connected to power and iPhone). Unfortunately with the number of cables and dongles it may be a bit messy.

A possible alternative is a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the Aux, and the phone could use Bluetooth for both audio and hands-free calls, something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-19-2018, 10:56 AM
KalenaR
1st Gear
Thank you, RKW! I appreciate your help!

Have a blessed day!

Old 09-19-2018, 12:51 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I use the same adapter with my iPhone X. Not sure with the older ones, but like was mentioned, the group loop isolator may be it. Also, with mine, the aux cord must be a 3.5mm 4-conductor auxiliary cable, not the standard 3-conductor like you would use for headphones....hope this helps

Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM
KalenaR
1st Gear

Hey everyone! Thanks for the insight. We got it fixed! Went Bluetooth and not a bunch of extra wires! Here’s what we got. Light it at Best Buy! My phone changes while my music plays! Yay! ����������

Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by KalenaR
Hey everyone! Thanks for the insight. We got it fixed! Went Bluetooth and not a bunch of extra wires! Here’s what we got. Light it at Best Buy! My phone changes while my music plays! Yay! ����������
Glad it worked out. The only problem is that the Bluetooth receiver runs on a battery that needs to be recharged periodically. You can keep it charged up by leaving it connected to 12V power, but then it would probably need the ground loop isolator.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:04 AM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread, but I just picked up an R53 with the factory radio and HK speakers. I have a 30 pin plug and a AUX jack in the glove box. I used the AUX jack to plug into my ipad pro and I can't seem to get any music going. I've changed the mode, but a AUX feature doesn't display, is only switches between radio, CD, and CD magazine. I can't find a magazine cartridge housing either, on the right passenger cargo area there is a door and behind it appears to be an amp for the HK speakers.

Last edited by jk6672; 09-21-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jk6672
Hope you don't mind me jumping into your thread, but I just picked up an R53 with the factory radio and HK speakers. I have a 30 pin plug and a AUX jack in the glove box. I used the AUX jack to plug into my ipad pro and I can't seem to get any music going. I've changed the mode, but a AUX feature doesn't display, is only switches between radio, CD, and CD magazine. I can't find a magazine cartridge housing either, on the right passenger cargo area there is a door and behind it appears to be an amp for the HK speakers.
The OEM iPod adapter was primitive and worked by simulating the CD changer (it plugs into the CD changer port on the headunit). That's what you're seeing on the headunit display.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11/...dapter_review/
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html
It wasn't clear from your description — is your aux jack something completely separate from the iPod connector? (they were separate in the OEM version)
If they are together in the same unit, you have an aftermarket adapter. A picture would help.
This is the OEM aux input: https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...p3_hookup.html

Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM
jk6672
4th Gear
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
The OEM iPod adapter was primitive and worked by simulating the CD changer (it plugs into the CD changer port on the headunit). That's what you're seeing on the headunit display.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/11/...dapter_review/
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tallation.html
It wasn't clear from your description — is your aux jack something completely separate from the iPod connector? (they were separate in the OEM version)
If they are together in the same unit, you have an aftermarket adapter. A picture would help.
This is the OEM aux input: https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...p3_hookup.html
that's what it looks like