R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 ASC won't stop meddling, '05 r53

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 01:17 PM
fresq
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ASC won't stop meddling, '05 r53

First post, yada yada! Just bought a stock 2005 MCS after getting T-boned in my tracked-out miata (RIP). Getting used to FWD, our sluggish drive by wire throttle, and convincing myself to shift into reverse (6th) on the highway .

How do I turn off the dang ASC? I've got no toggle switch! It nearly killed me the other day when I was was counting on some pep pulling out in front of a truck and instead had the engine go limp.

The light comes on all the time when I hit a bump mid-corner or the drive wheel goes over a wet manhole cover. Supercharger sounds like someone punched a boy scout.

I read the minimania guide to ASC and DCS 3 times and have sifted through dozens of threads without finding an answer. One thread had someone who simply needed to replace the toggle switch panel with one that had an ASC switch.... which is odd. Does that switch's absence suggest a manufacturing defect/ P.O. meddling or did some 2005 MCS examples not have the toggle switch?

Sincerely, a very confused new owner.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:12 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you don't have a switch to turn it off then yes you will most likely need the swtich to do so. ECS Tuning sells the switch panels here https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...itches/Toggle/ or check the market here to see if someone has one for sale. The only other way that you might be able to is by coding the car to start it in the off state on startup.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 AM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
How many toggles do you have on the panel?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
I did not think they had asc on an 05 ?!?!?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:32 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
I have 5 toggles on my current panel with the only switch that I'm missing is for the rear fog light.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:28 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Does it look like this? You should be able to turn off ASC by pressing the switch down for a second (flicking it too fast won't work). The lamp on the dash will come on to show it is disabled. If you're missing the switch, someone's probably replaced the switch bank with the wrong one, and will need to be swapped.

Last edited by HaltCatchFire; 09-19-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:22 AM
fresq
Neutral
Originally Posted by DamnCampers
If you don't have a switch to turn it off then yes you will most likely need the swtich to do so. ECS Tuning sells the switch panels here https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2005-...itches/Toggle/ or check the market here to see if someone has one for sale. The only other way that you might be able to is by coding the car to start it in the off state on startup.
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
Does it look like this? You should be able to turn off ASC by pressing the switch down for a second (flicking it too fast won't work). The lamp on the dash will come on to show it is disabled. If you're missing the switch, someone's probably replaced the switch bank with the wrong one, and will need to be swapped.

I have 5 toggles on my current panel with the only switch that I'm missing is for the rear fog light.
Wow, sorry for the late response! I'm an active member of a few miata forums but I neglected to turn on email notifs (thought I did) and thought no one responded.
I only have four switches! How strange, I guess I'll look into a new panel. Is there a way I can check the harness to see if it will be compatible or is it an aggregated plug?
Thanks again, I may see if I can get it tuned out in the future, but I'm wary of changing anything on the car before getting used to it. I'm quicker to blame myself for bad practices than my car for poor design.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:02 AM
fresq
Neutral
Originally Posted by MINI33342
How many toggles do you have on the panel?
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
Yup! You all nailed it! I installed the new switch panel today and its working beautifully. The open diff is now free to express itself which is... something. I really need to learn how to turn this car, much different from a RWD torsen. I thought about having it programmed out, but I don't want to change too much before getting good at driving it as it. I'm slow to blame my tools, especially one that is well respected in stock form.

Is there any way to have the ASC programmed so that it still brakes but does not cut power? Not my next project, but something I've been wondering as my power finds the easy way out through the inside wheel.

Thanks for your responses! I tried to post before, but I think I'm on probation here so it might have gotten lost in the mix. This forum rocks! ( just don't tell the guys at m-net I said so)

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:10 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
If you hard accelerate and it goes into limp mode, it is most likely, there is a fault elsewhere. Maybe a fuel issue\ crank position sensor issue\cam position sensor issue\fly by wire pedal issue\etc. Do an obd 2 scan, to see if it has generated any codes.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fresq
Is there any way to have the ASC programmed so that it still brakes but does not cut power? Not my next project, but something I've been wondering as my power finds the easy way out through the inside wheel.
I think the ASC/DSC system is either active or not. I remember reading about the two in the manual as they both function similar, but they are different at the same time. If there was anyway to change it to be partially disabled it would have to be coded to the car with a cable.

I have DSC on my r53, but rarely have it on. If it is active I feel more pull to the right when I get on the gas, otherwise just a slight pull. The general gist i get is that this is more noticeable if you do not have a LSD in the transmission. Preface lift transmissions didn't come with a LSD that I am aware of. Postface lift it seems to be spotty but some factory packages did include them. If you do a VIN decode if memory serves correctly the package that included it was the chili package or similar pepper named package.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:52 AM
fresq
Neutral
Wayne, it doesn't go into limp mode. It's when I'm trying to pull out and speed up to traffic quickly that it was meddling, Accelerating into a turn from standing is a tricky situation and the car still hasn't earned back my trust that it won't cut fuel while I'm in the middle of the lane.

Campers, that's kind of what I figured about it being a black box, package deal. I looked it up but wasn't fully able to see if I had an lsd. It really doesn't feel like I do though. That dif feels wiiiide open.

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by fresq
Wayne, it doesn't go into limp mode. It's when I'm trying to pull out and speed up to traffic quickly that it was meddling, Accelerating into a turn from standing is a tricky situation and the car still hasn't earned back my trust that it won't cut fuel while I'm in the middle of the lane.

Campers, that's kind of what I figured about it being a black box, package deal. I looked it up but wasn't fully able to see if I had an lsd. It really doesn't feel like I do though. That dif feels wiiiide open.

Thanks for your help!
Ok, good! It should switch off with the second switch in from the left for DSC, but I don't think ASC came with the switch, but it can be switched off. I am sure the help you already got is more telling! Motor on and I hope you get it sorted, as that can be dangerous!