Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Stock Problems/Issues
04 r53 front wipers won't stop working >

04 r53 front wipers won't stop working

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 09-13-2015, 11:38 AM
laf04mcs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone new i am new to this group hopefully this is in the right place.

so about 3 weeks ago i purchased an 04 r53 and everything was working great on it till i went to go take it out the battery was dead i got it jump started and everything seemed fine. It ended up going to a mechanic and getting the ignition and power steering pump replaced. After that i noticed my wipers wouldn't turn on and i started checking things and found that the relay was unplugged for some reason. So i put it back in with the car off and the wipers started going and would't stop and has been like that for well over a week now.

I have been looking everywhere i can online even ordered new relays which hopefully will be here in a week, but still can't find any concrete fix or diagnosis as to what could be wrong. I have read about people undoing the battery terminals and unplugging the body control unit and for some it seemed to work and others it was temporary. i have checked all my fuses that have anything to do with the front wipers and they are all good i even replaced them just to make sure. I checked voltage at the first front wiper relay with the car off and it has 12v going through it constantly.

So that is basically where i am at with the car the stalk has no control over the front wipers, but the rear works fine. I love the car, but the closest Mini dealership is well over an hour away.

If any one has any insight as to what i could try i would appreciate it.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Hobine
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar problem here on an 04 MCS, sorry I can't help at this point. For me it's the rear wiper that has a mind of its own. When it decides to run, with no input from me, the stalk has no control over it. It stops when it feels like stopping, on its own. I lost my washers at the same time this started happening.
I did replace the stalk on mine, but that didn't make any difference.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The mechanic you took the car to seems to be the one you need to question.
Sounds like they did the work on your car and realized the wipers wouldn't turn off, and unplugged the relay so that you wouldn't notice right away and start questioning.

I'd get in touch with the mechanic.