R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 ....suggestions for more power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
....suggestions for more power?

I've done all of the simple power adders for my JCW R53 (most were already done because of the JCW parts). Aftermarket CAI, JCW head, JCW exhaust, WMW Tune, 390cc injectors, meth injection, 17% pulley.........pretty much your standard bolt on stuff.

I'm too the point where I would like some more power........what's the next logical step? A cam swap? This car is a daily driver, so I don't want it to be temperamental.....or problematic.

What's a good way to add some more power?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 AM
PariDot
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a hard limit on what you can get out of just bolt ons. So unless you are willing to go beyond that, you're kind of stuck where you are until you go beyond that.

One good option is to run an aftermarket supercharger like a sprintex. They move more air at better efficiency levels, so heat isn't more of a factor.

you could change out the supercharger for a turbo, and get better top end power. but it all comes down to what you willing to do to get that higher power.

Or the other option is to completely replace the engine with entirely different kind of engine, one that is more geared to taking on more power like a K series engine from Honda K24s make great power NA, and you could modify them to make even more.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:20 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I’ve thought about bolting on a Sprintex, but to be honest……there really aren’t a lot of people out there running them, and for the money you are going to pay for the kit ($2,500-ish), and tuning ($800+)…..I’m not really sure it’s worth it. If more people were running them I might think harder about it…

The motor swap is a cool idea….but the PCM in these MINI’s pretty much controls everything…..power windows, ABS, blinkers, airbags, lights, gauges, etc, ect……..putting a new motor/PCM in the car would pretty much mean gutting the factory MINI PCM and wiring….and starting completely from scratch……..not to mention the mechanical aspect of getting everything to fit. Not sure I’m up for that kind of challenge…..especially on a car that’s my daily driver to and from work. If it was a weekend toy it might be different. A turbo swap would be cool….but them you are back to the same thing as far as tuning and getting everything to work right…..not worth the hassle on a daily drive car.

I guess it sounds like at this point……it is what it is. Anyone every plan with a small nitrous kit? 25-50hp?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:35 AM
PariDot
2nd Gear
One other option is to change out the super for a turbo.

Your not as limited in how much power you can put down, compared to the super, but you defiantly need to do a good amount of modifications in order to get the turbo to work.

The nice thing about that route is that the modifications are mostly bolt on in the sense that they are added onto the engine using the existing management system. You just need to get creative in dealing with the removal of the super charger and its accessories.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:56 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
What kind of power are those motors making with boost from a turbo vs. supercharger? And I wonder how "laggy" the motor is with the turbo va. The supercharger.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:04 AM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
Have you looked into this supercharger kit? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...arger-kit.html

Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
I would like to see some Dyno charts showing that setup being bolted to a stock mini s and making 300hp to the tires. At this point.....those kinds of numbers are hard to believe....

Actually I just read down through the entire thread....looks like the base kit for $3,000+ gives you 20-40hp......if you want to make 300+ to the tires.....some other stuff is needed. I asked Jan for more info. But if it's going to cost $4,000+ , I would be better off just selling my mini and buying something else. Hard to justify spending that kind of money.

Last edited by IQRaceworks; 09-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:15 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
How much more you looking for and are you turning you own wrenches? A header with a high flow cat, a dominator cam and a RMW tune should make a nice difference. You using the Meth for tune or only for cooling as a 19% pulley will work quite nicely with the cooling affect of the injection.

I have all the above and the car is quite streetable but far from the stock JCW I bought.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
An extra 20hp would be nice........

Yes, I turn my own wrenches. Does a header by itself do much, or is it mostly just for sound?

I'm running the meth injection just for the cooling....the tune I'm running now is not designed around the meth injection. It might keep detonation away, but as far as any extra power.....it's not making any.

I have thought about an aftermarket cam.....but the reviews are all over the place. Some guys say they help, some guys say they don't make any difference...or if they do it's only on the very high end of the rpm range. And then I see the guys who say they get a check engine light after the cam....and I don't really want to deal with that.

Anyone run a small nitrous setup? Cheap, easy hp.....used to run a decent sized setup on a drag car years ago.......safe, and makes awesome power if you know how to tune it.

Even a small "motorcycle" type kit would get you an extra 25-50hp just when you needed it ..all for less than $500.
Anyone play around with one?

Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
IMO you have more chances for a CEL with the header than a cam and then was the engine tuned for the cam? It also comes down to how much you want to spend.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 AM
PariDot
2nd Gear
If you watch the info video for the TVS900 charger, they state that they applied the kit to a fairly modified engine, and went from 181 to 270 with just the kit and a re tune. Id image a smaller pulley and a bigger crank pulley could result in over 300 with the appropriate injectors and tune.

But your looking at a rebuild on the engine and the tvs kit, so its going to cost a pretty penny.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
So how many R53's are out there with that TVS900 supercharger on them??

Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
If you just want the next simple bolt on our mild cam would be great as it will work well with those mods and not hurt drive ability. Will will notice the exhaust tone change as the exh valves open more and longer.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mi...t-r52-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 09-07-2018, 07:25 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
If you just want the next simple bolt on our mild cam would be great as it will work well with those mods and not hurt drive ability. Will will notice the exhaust tone change as the exh valves open more and longer.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mi...t-r52-r53.html
What kind of power will a can add? I'm assuming you have some dyno charts showing the power delivery on a stock cam vs. the aftermarket on?
Any additional info would be great!

Old 09-07-2018, 02:25 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
IQRace -

Did you open the address provided ?
Dyno chart provided..! Not overly easy to read, but it's there.

Mike

Old 09-07-2018, 02:48 PM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Oops.....just opened the link, and there it is! Thanks!!!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks
An extra 20hp would be nice........
RMW street header, RMW cam, RMW BVH head, 500cc injectors and an RMW tune will net you much higher than 20 hp! You can get around 20 WHP with the aforementioned parts without the head. I know. I have a 2006 JCW. Added the RMW street header and cam and on the stock tune was around 200whp. Got Jan to tune it and ended up with 223whp, dyno tuned.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:23 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
If I just do a cam and header, on top of the other mods I've got....will the 380cc injectors I currently have provide enough fuel? Not sure I want to do a BVH at this point......not cheap!!

Old 09-10-2018, 10:38 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
There are a few out there where after the all the normal bolt-ons were added the owners added a turbo as well. something like this RE: https://www.vividracing.com/-p-42965...iABEgJ_hvD_BwE

Here is a link to a thread about it and a great photo about halfway down the first page.

https://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge...ercharger.html

Mater of fact one I saw it also has an active rear wing... operates as a wind for down force when accelerating and swings up and acts as an air brake during braking.

... bottom line is how far do you want to take it and how deep are your pockets.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, and post a thread with your build.

Motor On!

Last edited by JABowders; 09-10-2018 at 10:44 AM.