R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Bay Area Dealer Service Suggestion - East Bay MINI or MINI of Mountain View?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:15 AM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay Area Dealer Service Suggestion - East Bay MINI or MINI of Mountain View?

Hi folks,

I've had my MINI for a month and a half and recently discovered that there was a problem with my MINI from before the dealer even received it that the rear control arms got bent. It turns out it must have happened on the trip from the VPC to the dealer.

See my website for more details if interested, but to make a long story short I talked it over with my dealer, Classic MINI in OH, and they immediately told me to fix it and they will pay for it, being the awesome folks that they are. My task now is to take it to one of the MINI dealers in this area to have it fixed, but I haven't decided between East Bay MINI and MINI of Mountain View. It should just involve getting replacement rear control arms installed.

Here's my situation: I live about 10 minutes from MINI of Mountain View so it's very convenient in that respect. It's about an hour's drive to East Bay MINI, but it's a very fun drive and we all know that motoring in a MINI is no chore. And I have the time to make it work if I decide it's the best thing, so this is more or less a non-issue, especially since I'll probably (hopefully) have some loaner that is interesting to drive, either a MINI or BMW (hoping I don't get stuck with a rental - does anyone know if EB MINI gives out rentals or dealer cars? because MINI of Mtn View gives out BMW's I believe).

That being said, even though MINI of Mountain View is closer, I have heard a few bad things here and there about their service department, but I've also heard of people who were totally happy with multiple visits. The thing is, I've never heard a bad word spoken of East Bay MINI's service department and my brother, who owns an 04 MC, purchased it there, and while there I was very impressed with the place. They are good folks who do good by their customers.

Because this service visit will be the first of at least a few more for regular maintenance, I'd like to stick to one of these two dealers, but I can't decide which to go to. Any suggestions one way or the other would be greatly appreciated. I'd be interested to hear of people's own experiences, including how quickly they could schedule appointments, how quickly the work got done, what sort of loaner they got, etc. as well.

Thanks in advance!

-mike

Old 11-11-2004, 08:51 AM
brgfan
4th Gear
I bought from East Bay MINI. Shortly after taking delivery of my '03, I noticed the 'tick tick tick' noise in the Getrag when not in gear. Lately that's been reported as a common and (supposedly) harmless problem, but they replaced the tranny. Noise gone.

About 2 mo.s ago the regulator in the passenger window had a problem. They replaced it. In both cases the work was done quickly and well.

I've only had those experiences with their service, but they've both been good.

I live fairly nearby, so I haven't needed a loaner. I'm not sure what their policy is on that.

Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
gosharks
4th Gear
I have used Mt. View MINI since getting my MCS in July '02. I would rate them as "just okay". With a simple repair that you mention, I wouldn't expect any issues at Mt. View MINI. My biggest issue was doing the "night drop" the night before my appointment, and then when I returned late the following day, they didn't even know my car was there. And this was just for an oil change.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:13 AM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Thanks folks, any other suggestions?

-mike

Old 11-11-2004, 10:16 AM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
Never have had a problem with EB MINI

I purchased my 2003 MINI at EB MINI in Jan 2003. I have since taken it in to EB MINI for both routine maintenance and to fix other little problems that have cropped. I always call ahead (1-2 days) and drop my car off first thing in the morning when they open up. I then get a ride to work (in Livermore) using their customer shuttle. When I bought my MINI they had me sign a form acknowledging that they DO NOT provide loaner cars for MINI service and repairs. I usually pick my car up after work and it has always been ready when they say it will be ready. The service advisors are nice and thorough when it comes to making sure they understand any problems you may be having with the car. Once when I wanted to buy one of the die cast MINIs after picking up my car, I had to wait a while for some one to help me. When the service advisor realized that I had been made to wait, he had the counter person give the die cast car without charge.

Long story...short. EB MINI has excellent service department and I would recommend them to anybody with a MINI they care about.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:18 AM
manoo
3rd Gear
east bay. part of the hendrickson group. they love minis and if you look at the dealer reviews in this forum you will find many great things have been written about them.
just my 2 cents worth

Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
kar2n
1st Gear
EBay Mini is the only one for me

I bought my 2002 MCS in Las Vegas. My first scheduled service i brought it into Mt View Mini in late 2002. Heard too many negative things about the SF dealership from Bimmer owners.

The MtView location seemed nice enough. They even let me work in their offices (i needed an internet connection to connect to work). I mentioned that i felt that the brakes faded a bit but was not sure if it was my imagination or reality.

After they finished the service and checking out my brakes, i was politely informed that i would be responsible for replacing front and rear rotors and pads! They quoted me a $600-$800 service job.

As you can imagine, i was in shock. How could i blow out both front and rear brakes. I was fuming, and Mt View insisted that this was needed. I decided to take the car and think things over. I stopped in on a buddy who is a mechanic for japanese cars. After looking at my car, he told me that MtView was full of it.

I then scheduled an appointment with East Bay Mini. They were extremely understanding and NOT condescending. After checking out my car, they took me on a ride with other MCS and my car. They explained how they felt everything was okay and no work was necessary. My comparison drives with other MCS also proved that my brakes were fine.

I confronted the MtView dealership with EastBay Mini's findings. Mt.View stuck by their analysis. So...now i drive from Millbrae to Pleasanton (45 minutes with no traffic, 60-90 minutes with) for my service. I can use their work areas to get to the internet and continue to be pleased with their service.

Unfortuntately, Mini North America has never responded to my complaints about MT View. I wish SF or Mt View were more honest and reputable shops. However, at least (for now) i trust East Bay Mini and will continue to use them until my warrenty runs out.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:41 AM
SCMCS
4th Gear
kar2n- I noticed that you live in Millbrae. I also am a resident of this fine city. I have seen a few MINI's driving around town, what are you model and color are you driving? Mine is a BRG/BRG with an aero kit and white tail lights, hope to see ya around town.:smile:

BTW I also had one opertunity to go to Mountain view MINI and was only mildly satifised with their work.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:10 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Concord MINI is where we picked Brutus up at. We unfortunately had a bad experience there. Only after the teeth pulling though, did they do what they were supposed to do for us in the first place. We fortunately have not had to get anything done other than oil changes and as long as I follow up and make sure there are no leaks, I think we'll be alright. One GREAT thing about them though is that they get us outta there everytime in just a couple of hours. We'll continue to go to Concord MINI since we have a little history with them. Ebay MINI, I hear nothing but good things about. Mt View, I don't think we'll go to and SF is just to crowded all the time.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:15 AM
kar2n
1st Gear
Millbrae Mini's

Hi SCMS ---

I own a 2002 MCS liquid yellow with a white top....and my license plates are "kar2n". I see a BRG white top MC that is always parked around Peets. Is this yours?

:smile:

Old 11-12-2004, 04:07 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
Nope I have also seen that one, now I'll be on the look out for a LY/W one around town