Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PDC (rear) and Backup Camera

---- UPDATE: Rear Camera retrofit done. See post #10 ----

Hi

For those of you who have this three:
- PDC (rear) NOT front+rear. Only rear
- Rear backup camera
- NAV with the big screen

Can someone post a photo of what is shown on the Nav Screen when you go into reverse?

I'm interested in how the car on the right is displayed.

In a car with only rear PDC but no cam, this is shown (attached pic).

I've seen that in BMWs with front and rear PDC and rear cam, what is shown is a top view of the car on the right, with the front and rear sensors indications.

I wanted to know if in a MINI with only rear PDC and rear cam, to the right of the cam images, it will be shown a rear graphic of the car with the rear sensors indications (something like the photo I posted, but smaller and to the right of the cam view); or a top view graphic of the car with only rear sensors indications displayed.

Hope someone has that specific setup and can post a pic

Thanks!

Last edited by emulajavi; 12-05-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:37 PM
SATopWater
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is what you were looking for:

The following users liked this post:
bratling (09-26-2018)
Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 AM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SATopWater
I think this is what you were looking for:

Hi!! Thank you very much!!

So top view with no front indications or graphics...

If you press the I-drive **** and and deactivate the camera images..... What is shown? A view from the rear like the one I posted above?

Thank you!!

Old 08-08-2015, 03:27 PM
SATopWater
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Hoopty
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what I get......

I have the configuration you mentioned and this is the picture I get. The yellow and red flag are the PDC warning that is audibly beeping also. I love this combo very much.

Hoopty

Attached Thumbnails PDC (rear) and Backup Camera-backup-camera-pdc.jpg  
Old 09-02-2015, 05:13 PM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hoopty
I have the configuration you mentioned and this is the picture I get. The yellow and red flag are the PDC warning that is audibly beeping also. I love this combo very much.

Hoopty

Thank you!!

I hope to retrofit the rear cam this month..

Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Yea, and then set the light ring to warn in the color pattern . Very cool feature.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-12-2015, 03:09 PM
emulajavi
1st Gear
I'll keep you updated

Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Great.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-05-2015, 06:08 AM
emulajavi
1st Gear
----- Please if any mod reads this, change the title of the topic to F56 JCW Rear Camera Retrofit -----

Hi guys,

I took me some time to find some spare time to install the retrofit, but I finally installed it this week.

I ordered the kit from Bimmer-tech back on September. Patryk from BimmerTech sent me instructions for removing some body panels and the Head Unit. Basically, the retrofit consists of a hatch handle with the rear cam already installed, and a cable that you have to route from there to the front of the car, through the passenger side.

Some wires have to be connected to the Body Domain Controller, on the passanger's foot well, one to the fuse box, and finally three wires to the Head Unit behind the center screen.

It takes some time, but it can be done by following the instructions step by step.

The only problem during installation was that a 26-pin connector came miswired, but the guys from BimmerTech were very helpful and sorted out the problem.

So retrofit done!!

Thank you also to darex, who was the 'guinea pig' of this retrofit, and his help was really appreciated.

Last edited by emulajavi; 12-05-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:35 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by emulajavi
----- Please if any mod reads this, change the title of the topic to F56 JCW Rear Camera Retrofit ----- Hi guys, I took me some time to find some spare time to install the retrofit, but I finally installed it this week. I ordered the kit from Bimmer-tech back on September. Patryk from BimmerTech sent me instructions for removing some body panels and the Head Unit. Basically, the retrofit consists of a hatch handle with the rear cam already installed, and a cable that you have to route from there to the front of the car, through the passenger side. Some wires have to be connected to the Body Domain Controller, on the passanger's foot well, one to the fuse box, and finally three wires to the Head Unit behind the center screen. It takes some time, but it can be done by following the instructions step by step. The only problem during installation was that a 26-pin connector came miswired, but the guys from BimmerTech were very helpful and sorted out the problem. So retrofit done!! Thank you also to darex, who was the 'guinea pig' of this retrofit, and his help was really appreciated.
Good Job, Javier!

The hardest thing was figuring out how to remove interior panels, and how to access the back of the head unit. The PDC wiring was not difficult, but it was a bit insane, because you have to locate and tap into two extremely tiny wires within a bundle of some 25 wires. Lots of gymnastics.

Still, it was entirely worth the effort!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Good to know that was thought to an impossible retrofit is indeed possible!

What equipment is required for the retrofit? obviously, you will need the Visual Boost screen or Connected XL. Is rear PDC a requirement as well?

Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Good to know that was thought to an impossible retrofit is indeed possible! What equipment is required for the retrofit? obviously, you will need the Visual Boost screen or Connected XL. Is rear PDC a requirement as well?
Minimum: Rear PDC, yes (I have front- and rear), but Javier only has rear, I believe). Kit is only for F-series MINIs, and coding is done remotely by Bimmertech. As far as hardware, it's just the camera, replacement door handle, and a bunch of wire looms.

If you check Bimmertech's site, it says what you need for each retrofit. What goes for F-series BMW models, goes for F-series MINI models. As you well know, the coding is 95% identical.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:49 PM
darex
5th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Good to know that was thought to an impossible retrofit is indeed possible! What equipment is required for the retrofit? obviously, you will need the Visual Boost screen or Connected XL. Is rear PDC a requirement as well?
If I had waited for my MINI dealership to figure it out (i.e. never), it would remain impossible. Without the help of Bimmertech , I couldn't have done it, so thank goodness for them, and that there was a solution.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Hi!

Thank you very much!

To @siriuszero , as @darex says, minimum equipment is PDC rear (I only have rear as you can see on the pics I've posted) and Visual Boost or Connected XL Screen.

I totally agree with the fact that the wiring on the Body Domain Controller is insane, since you have to tap two tiny wires in a conector with a lot of wires. But with patience and some contortion it can be done. Also for the ones with little knowledge of coding, remote coding helps a lot.

BimmerTech was the solution since they provide you the kit with all the wiring needed and are really helpful to solve the questions that arise during the installation.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:00 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I've heard about Bimmertech for years. Seems to be the best option for people looking to retrofit equipment into BMWs and now F-series MINIs.

Thanks again for the write-up!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:14 PM
darex
5th Gear
Javier,

I don't see a zoom function (?)

Old 12-07-2015, 03:45 AM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Hi,

It is the last icon from my photo. It allows another perspective to the camera.

When doing the coding, the tech activated it.

Ask Patryk for it. Maybe he can activate it for you. Anyway, I think it will not be very difficult to code.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 AM
Ranch565
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any step-by-step on getting behind the dash? I have a Tadibrothers backup camera for an F56 I'm trying to install. About the same price as the bimmer. Anyway - any information anyone can provide on getting the dash apart without damaging it would be helpful.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 AM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Hello,

I have some PDFs that might help you.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4da...9113453/58de1e

Good luck with the installation!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:38 PM
MiniRocket1
Neutral
Bimmertech

They say on their website that you have to cut a hole in your bumper? That sounds major. Don't you just put a camera in the trunk/hatch handle?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:03 PM
emulajavi
1st Gear
When I bought the kit, they sent me a new trunk/hatch handle that had the rear camera installed on it.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 AM
xentar
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by emulajavi
Hello,

I have some PDFs that might help you.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4da...9113453/58de1e

Good luck with the installation!

I can't seem to get the files from your link. Is it still up and available?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM
emulajavi
1st Gear
Originally Posted by xentar
I can't seem to get the files from your link. Is it still up and available?

Here you go!

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/5a6...3175050/a524f8

The following users liked this post:
xentar (05-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 04:24 AM
Jaybert
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniRocket1
They say on their website that you have to cut a hole in your bumper? That sounds major. Don't you just put a camera in the trunk/hatch handle?
thats probably because you’re looking at the MMI option so non oem. That’s the one I got as I guess OEM wasn’t available on my 2015 Mini Cooper. Here’s how the camera installed looks. Looks oem but does requiring drilling a hole in the trim.

And and here’s how it looks on screen with the PDC split screen.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior PDC (rear) and Backup Camera