R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Driving down the interstate, and bye bye hood scoop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 04:35 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Driving down the interstate, and bye bye hood scoop!

Totally random. I was driving around 80 MPH behind a nice newer model beautiful red MINI... Next thing I know I see this black thing go flying over my car. I had no clue it was my HOOD SCOOP! BYE BYEEE HOOD SCOOP!

Anyone know of a replacement hood scoop assembly? Or, better yet a complete hood assembly, since mine has a dent right above the DS/light that apparently NO ONE can pull out?! Soo...

Old 03-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That stinks same thing happened to me casue one of the clips was broke from previous owner but I was going about 120mph, I looked for it as I was on a back road for a good hour but she was gone.

This is what I bought and plastidiped it what ever color I am in the mood for as my whole car needs a respray some day when I am rich.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-200...-/302676416299

Old 03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Is that the entire assembly? From what I saw flying off it looked like there was a part going farther back inaide the hood??

Old 03-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
hmmm if you could take a pic of under the hood where the scoop was maybe I can see if there is something else missing, from what I know there are 4 plastic clips molded with the scoop that those 4 funky screws slide into, then 4 nuts. These are held on by the metal of the entire hood.
Take a picture I can help point out what I mean if that doesnt make sense.
There is a large black piece to transfer the air to the superchargers intercooler but I dont believe that could have come off.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:33 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Yeah, looking pretty ratty at the moment.
I'm guessing there's only 4 clips holding this thing on? That's ****, it's meant to catch air, I mean come on, they could have done a better job than that. I wonder if Way's Notch Hood Scoop comes with all the clips to get it nice and pretty pretty again?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Yes so thats exactly what happended to mine makes it look like garbage! See the broken white plastic on each screw, thats supposed to be connected or molded with the scoop. Any new one will have those and new screws and nuts, my guess is one could have already been broken from whatever and then the rest broke.
If you go at speed and hit any time of bump air will go underneath the scoop and break the rest of it and will fly over the car and the last you'll see of it is a black blur in the rear view mirrow :( So I would get a new one painted or not depending on what you want to spend and when putting the new one on be very careful to not twist the screws to tight or youll break them again, so if the nut is not going on smooth stop and examin.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
And how to install is first take each nut of each bolt or screw. Slide the bolts into each "clip", then try and line them up in each hole and then put the nuts on carefully.
If I remembor correctly though, I think you need to take the heat blanket attach to the top of under neath the hood to get to the back to screws but maybe Im wrong.
Its pretty easy just stinks cause until you get a new one it looks bad, and theres the painted thing. You might be able to find a black painted one for not a bad price as a black primed one looks bad in my opinion on my silver Mini. Just search for R53 hood scoop theres a lot, just the ebay one was the cheapest and thats what I could afford at the time.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Colin Schlagel
And how to install is first take each nut of each bolt or screw. Slide the bolts into each "clip", then try and line them up in each hole and then put the nuts on carefully.
If I remembor correctly though, I think you need to take the heat blanket attach to the top of under neath the hood to get to the back to screws but maybe Im wrong.
Its pretty easy just stinks cause until you get a new one it looks bad, and theres the painted thing. You might be able to find a black painted one for not a bad price as a black primed one looks bad in my opinion on my silver Mini. Just search for R53 hood scoop theres a lot, just the ebay one was the cheapest and thats what I could afford at the time.
EXCELLENT! Thanks for all the help. Puts my mind at ease, because it's super duper uber ugly mainly. I'm looking at Way's Notch Hood Scoop, I think it comes painted gloss black. But how much was your hood scoop from eBay. If I can find a cheaper one I wouldn't mind. Seeing as to how I never expected to lose my scoop, it kind of cuts into my Yamaha Bolt fund.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:44 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
The one on Ebay that I bought is about $60 and will be a flat dark grey primer color but is the geniune Mini one, honestly though I didnt know that the one from WMW existed I only thought the M7 that is $300 was out there. I would defenitaly get that, getting it painted is going to be a pain and cost more then that Notch Scoop anyways,
Thanks for finding that I might get one!

Mine is Plastidiped white at the moment (was black) just wanted to change it up for a while, I didnt get mine painted as my car especially the hood needs new paint so was going to wait til I could afford it but will probably never happen.

Glad you were able to find something!

Old 03-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Just looked up Yamaha Bolt, thats pretty sick. I like bikes that arent crotch rocket but not Harleys either!
Though I do like the new Harley sportsman I believe its called looks similar.
Have fun!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Andrew Riley
4th Gear
Just looked up Yamaha Bolt, thats pretty sick. I like bikes that arent crotch rocket but not Harleys either!
Though I do like the new Harley sportsman I believe its called looks similar.
Have fun!
Yep, I always check WMW first because he is only 1 shipping day away. Should have it Tuesday.

I'm with ya, not big on crotch rockets. I like the naked, street fighter look of it. I haven't seen many around, only 3 maybe. But I've found a few older models with low miles for only around $5k~. Not a bad deal for a clean beast like the Bolt!

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (04-01-2018)
Old 08-22-2021, 06:17 AM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes so thats exactly what happended to mine makes it look like garbage! See the broken white plastic on each screw, thats supposed to be connected or molded with the scoop. Any new one will have those and new screws and nuts, my guess is one could have already been broken from whatever and then the rest broke.
If you go at speed and hit any time of bump air will go underneath the scoop and break the rest of it and will fly over the car and the last you'll see of it is a black blur in the rear view mirrow :( So I would get a new one painted or not depending on what you want to spend and when putting the new one on be very careful to not twist the screws to tight or youll break them again, so if the nut is not going on smooth stop and examin.
Use some blue Loctite when you do this. My screws were backing out when I bought my car because they forgot to do it when they built the car.