R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 $500 R53 Endurance Racecar Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:03 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Was good to see you circulating at Buttonwillow last weekend. Did you manage to solve your brake pad problems?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM
angusp
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DrZ
Was good to see you circulating at Buttonwillow last weekend. Did you manage to solve your brake pad problems?
Oh interesting! That wasn't me, perhaps another lemons team got a MINI?
My MINI has been occupied with some upgrades for the Sonoma race next weekend, the big addition being the new fire suppression system.

As for the brakes, after I tore them down from last race I'm leaning more towards heavy glazing, possibly resulting from improper bedding, as the cause for the bad performance and eventual shuddering. I have new rotors, pads and reman calipers to go round, so hopefully with better bedding there will be less issues this race.

One issue I ran into are the race pad options for the R56S (aka. R53 JCW) front calipers. Carbotech has options but their bedding is finicky, especially up at the RP2 compound level, and there's no ST43 pads, or Hawk Blues available. Hawk has DTC-60 but they seem a bit too aggressive. If things don't go well this next race, I'll either look at stepping down to something like a Carbotech XP10 which I've had no problems bedding in the past, or going back to the original R53 calipers with some ST43 or Hawk Blues.

Here's a picture of the most severe front rotor.

0 R53 Endurance Racecar Build-u9lgnpn.jpg

Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM
DrZ
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha! Yes, another blue coupe, it never occurred to me that there'd be more than one of you crazy people out there... I mostly left them alone when they were pitted since they were working hard sorting through their pad stock.

Good luck with the compound juggling, hope things go better for you next weekend!

Old 12-16-2019, 07:19 PM
jiggersplat
2nd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Current R57 owner, getting ready to jump off the deep end and build an R53 for Lemons/Chump Car. Done any more races? Any updates on reliability and tips on how to avoid spending the whole day in the pit?

Old 12-17-2019, 04:32 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Great stuff. Following.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,152 Likes on 903 Posts
Originally Posted by angusp
Oh interesting! That wasn't me, perhaps another lemons team got a MINI?
My MINI has been occupied with some upgrades for the Sonoma race next weekend, the big addition being the new fire suppression system.

As for the brakes, after I tore them down from last race I'm leaning more towards heavy glazing, possibly resulting from improper bedding, as the cause for the bad performance and eventual shuddering. I have new rotors, pads and reman calipers to go round, so hopefully with better bedding there will be less issues this race.

One issue I ran into are the race pad options for the R56S (aka. R53 JCW) front calipers. Carbotech has options but their bedding is finicky, especially up at the RP2 compound level, and there's no ST43 pads, or Hawk Blues available. Hawk has DTC-60 but they seem a bit too aggressive. If things don't go well this next race, I'll either look at stepping down to something like a Carbotech XP10 which I've had no problems bedding in the past, or going back to the original R53 calipers with some ST43 or Hawk Blues.

Here's a picture of the most severe front rotor.

This sounds like so much fun! There are several build-for-race threads here on NAM that I follow.

Not sure if this helps, but I have been fighting brake issues since I first got my 2012 Cooper S and put Wilwoods on it for track day events. Short story is that I found at Watkins Glen (really hard on brakes) things would get too hot for the pads. This included Wilwood’s Poly H pads. I would get what would feel like wrapped rotors. But I think what it really was was melted pad material. This went away with some minor improvement in cooling and going to the Hawk DTC60 pads. I had a friend who ran the Hawk DTC70 pads, with no issues and he was crazy fast in an R53.

Do you have any allowance to change out the brakes? The Gen 1 JCW front brakes are the same as the Gen II Cooper S brakes. If you can make that change, it would be worth it for the larger rotors. Should be an easy find in a salvage yard.

You mentioned in an earlier post about the reliability of the SC. I would think that would be dependent on the oil that is in it. If you haven’t changed it, that might be something to consider.

Hope to read more of the adventures of the Blue Cooper...

Old 12-17-2019, 03:25 PM
angusp
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The MINI has been doing great on track, much better than I have been doing keeping this thread updated.

We have successfully run 5 races this year, just finishing up last week with the last race of the year at Sonoma. We finished 11th overall and 2nd in B class, out of a total of about 135 cars.
This year we drove to and raced at; Sonoma (twice), Buttonwillow, Thunderhill and The Ridge. Most of these tracks are close by except for the 13hr drive to Washington state for The Ridge, for which we bolted in a second seat and two of us drove all the way up, raced, then drove home. Next year we plan on driving to Colorado for the full 24hr race there, about an 18hr drive for us.

Reliability has been very good so far and the stock power has been plenty for the tracks we race at. Most of the upgrades and work between races has been on "driver comfort" in the interior, I've also built a custom telemetry system to see all ECU values (temps, pressures, fuel levels, speeds, etc) from the pits, which has been important for getting the most out of our small tank of fuel.

For the brakes, I switched to using Raybestos ST-43 pads, which have been nothing short of amazing. We just changed the front pads at the last race, which lasted for a total of 3.5 races (7x ~7hr days) plus two track days. Those front pads had maybe 25% pad left, while the rears have over 50% pad left after 4 races, the two trackdays and all the street driving. I'm happy to say that the brakes are a solve issue for now, although I am still looking to add ducting for cooling if we do the full 24hr race.

One problem we did run into at last weeks race was the stock exhaust hangers aren't really suited for racing abuse, after the one-ball mod has been done. There's little restricting the side-to-side movement of the remaining rear exhaust which leads to destruction of all the rubber mounts after a short time. That's an issue I need to solve over the winter break.

Here's a video from last race and a couple of more recent pictures. I still need to do a proper update with all of the build photos I have.

Name:  0zPnmQv.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  EWeq8V8.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  87.4 KB

Old 12-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,152 Likes on 903 Posts
I follow a thread of a R53 owner who does track events in the “soggy Pacific NW” and he too is liking the Raybestos brake pads. You might enjoy his thread (if you have a spare week to read it... ):
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-project.html

Love the hula doll...

And the roof rack. MINIs are so versatile...

Congrats...

Last edited by Eddie07S; 12-17-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Ooops NW replaced NE...