R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 will mud flaps keep the rear cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:10 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
will mud flaps keep the rear cleaner?

My mini gets really dirty really quickly in the back and the liquid yellow shows it: would rear mud flaps keep it cleaner?

BTW, what's the "submit to reddit"?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:55 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I had mud flaps on my R52. The short answer is no. Some people have claimed that mud flaps help, but really the effect is minimal.

Originally Posted by philwarner
BTW, what's the "submit to reddit"?
I know what Reddit is but I have no idea what you're asking about, even after I Googled: https://www.google.com/search?q="submit+to+reddit"

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (02-27-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
It's the button below the post. If you are signed up with Reddit I assume it is a way to post over on that site. Never done it.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
It's the button below the post. If you are signed up with Reddit I assume it is a way to post over on that site. Never done it.
Ha, I don't see it because I have Ghostery blocking all social media buttons.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:47 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
I'm considering mud flaps for my mini, but haven't yet. I want to see the flaps for my model before I decide. I have a ful size Dodge and found the fender guards were better then the flaps, they eliminated most of the debris found prior to install. But on my wife Frontier, flaps were effective, (also the truck came with fender covers).

So it mainly depends on the design of the flaps if they are helpful or just for show.

philwarner (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
You might not want to go to the trouble or the resource might not be available but a wind tunnel test will show that the shape of the mini while moving thru the air creates a low pressure area at the back of the car which will concentrate any disturbed particles at the back of the car. Flaps may decrease the amount of particulate but won't eliminate it. It's just the nature of the MINI design to get it's little butt dirty every time it goes out to play.

philwarner (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
natural born dirty butt

The only way to keep the back clean is not to drive the Mini. Being a hatchback it leaves a vacuum even at very low speed. Here is a video to prove it. Pay attention at 0:37 and at 1:11. Shocking how much debris got sucked up over the rear window even at low speed. That is why my Mini dirty butt always come home with a dirty butt after out running around town.

philwarner (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:07 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Mythbusters had a show on this that included a car and a pickup (with tailgate up and down).

There is naturally a low behind the vehicle at any speed. But when it comes to mudflaps, if 'designed right', they can defray 'much' of the debris from collecting/hitting on the fender behind them than without. Emphasize 'not all' but 'some'.

Then the important part .. the owner has to deside if it is enough to spend the money on them or not.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 AM
pmanliu
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are there OEM (or oem looking) mud flaps for the R50's? Not looking to put "rally armor" style mudflaps on the mini.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:40 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by pmanliu
Are there OEM (or oem looking) mud flaps for the R50's?
Yes, and I had the OEM mud flaps on my R52. They looked good and well integrated with the car (you'd think the car came that way from the factory).

The only problem is, they are ineffective to keep dirt off the rear. The problem isn't dirt kicked up by the tires. The air flow under the car pulls up dirt and swirls around to throw it on the back hatch.

It has been discussed many times and this is from an old thread:

philwarner (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 12:59 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Thanks to all who replied. The video was enlightening too. Just came back from a 50 mile drive to Eureka Springs on nice twisty two lane roads and arrived back home in a bit of a rain sprinkle with a dirty rear end.

I especially liked the statement " It's just the nature of the MINI design to get it's little butt dirty every time it goes out to play. "

And so I'll live with it and it won't erase the big smile on my face when I hit the go pedal and hear that SC whine as the boost gauge climbs.

Attached Thumbnails will mud flaps keep the rear cleaner?-000_0155.jpg   will mud flaps keep the rear cleaner?-000_0156.jpg  
Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Glad you liked the statement. On thing you can carry in the boot that may help a little is a California Duster. They're available at most big box auto supply stores. They work great and don't scratch the finish. The more they get used the better they work.
I've one in the boot for out and about and the large sized one hanging on a nail in the garage adjacent to the li'l guy's butt where it is handy.

philwarner (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:18 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Glad you liked the statement. On thing you can carry in the boot that may help a little is a California Duster. They're available at most big box auto supply stores. They work great and don't scratch the finish. The more they get used the better they work.
I've one in the boot for out and about and the large sized one hanging on a nail in the garage adjacent to the li'l guy's butt where it is handy.
Good idea. I do have a couple of those in the cars I occasionally take to shows - good for dust as long as it isn't wet. I'll put one in the Mini as it may also see a few shows and cruise-ins this year.

I'll be glad when we get through freeze season and I can keep a hose and wand handy for Mini-butt wiping.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:57 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Usually, I'm pretty observant of what goes across my crystal ball screen. Just noticed you're from the E. Springs area. We've missed it the last 2 years but MITO is one of our have to destinations. If the creek don't rise we'll make it this year.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:40 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
Usually, I'm pretty observant of what goes across my crystal ball screen. Just noticed you're from the E. Springs area. We've missed it the last 2 years but MITO is one of our have to destinations. If the creek don't rise we'll make it this year.
Eureka Springs is a 30 to 40 minute drive from home depending on the route. In fact we were in Eureka last Tuesday and had to dodge several dead skunks on 23 and 62 (it's their mating season and they don't look both ways before crossing the road). My Rennline skid plate/dead skunk defender arrives tomorrow and will be in place before the next drive to Eureka.

We've been to their Antique Auto Show, the Great American Race, Corvette weekend, VW weekend, and even PT cruiser weekend, but I was not aware of MITO. The MITO 2018 schedule is not yet on their web site nor facebook page, but I assume it will be in October again and I'll definitely be over there for this one.

The British Iron Touring Club of NWA also has an all British "Brits in the Ozarks" car show in Fayetteville September 7th & 8th this year. I'll be taking my "new" Mini along with my 86 Daimler Double Six.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by philwarner
The MITO 2018 schedule is not yet on their web site nor facebook page, but I assume it will be in October again and I'll definitely be over there for this one.
"Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" (song by Loudon Wainwright III) not withstanding, we'll get there this year with our good friends. We more than likely will have rooms, we hope in the back, at the The Lodge. It's late October, they always have a big Saturday night Halloween party at the event hotel. The number of day trips has continued to grow so there's lots to choose from. One we've always enjoyed is Galen's Elk Run. Also we've got to do the Pig Trail run again. Last time I didn't get a sticker. Stickers make MINIs go faster, don'cha know.