R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Charlie

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:27 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Charlie

I have a 2008 MCS(Charlie) that will not run. It's a hard start and if it does start at all, the RPM's will not go over 2000. About as soon as the RPM's get there they drop to under 1000 and Charlie sputters 'til he dies. This site has been incredibly helpful with other issues that have popped up and general knowledge of these cars.

Charlie has always ran rough and lacked power. There was maybe one week I drove him to work where he actually would accelerate up a hill. Usually, he loses speed going up a hill. I scoured the pages of NorthAmericanMotoring and was convinced the HPFP was the culprit. So, I sourced a new one from Way Motors (the last good deal in the country for a new one at a still ridiculously high price) and installed it to no avail. I have a great deal for anyone in need of a good used HPFP if you know someone looking. At Ways suggestion, I also changed the small steel flared line. This suggestion still perplexes me as to why a steel line with flared fittings needs replaced. Those things were consistently reused by me in my Air Force days without a single failure. Brake lines on my cars never seem to need replaced either, but I digress.

The low pressure pump is receiving 5V and the pump is spinning. I'm thinking the internal parts of this low pressure pump may be susceptible to wearing out such that the pump will spin but nothing happens. The starting then sputtering and quit running leads me to intuitively think the low pressure pump is the issue. I'm hoping one of you guys or gals out there may have experience the same issue and resolved it.

I guess that's where we'll start. Let know if you have any questions.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Definitely sounds fuel system, filter, injector related but there are other possibilities including electrical. I've forwarded your info to our resident tech expert and will get back to you ASAP.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:08 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Did you do a compression test?

Old 12-08-2016, 05:54 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Definitely sounds fuel system, filter, injector related but there are other possibilities including electrical. I've forwarded your info to our resident tech expert and will get back to you ASAP.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Did you do a compression test?
I have not checked the compression. A valid step, but not something I am suspect of given that it runs, when it does run that is. It may come down to that, though.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Mrfoca
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Kinda almost sounds like it's in limp mode.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:19 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mrfoca
Kinda almost sounds like it's in limp mode.
I wouldn't know limp mode from Mt. Shasta. How does one get a mini to no be in limp mode.

Also, Admins, I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Charlie is an R56. Please move this to the correct forum. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 PM
Hqbmw
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KISS IT! Start with the basics before getting into fuel delivery.

As Minitobe said, "check compression." Then check for the 3 other things needed to run.

Spark, fuel, and air. If you have good compression, then you can assume you have air, but check for metered air leaks. Next is ignition. Check plugs and very suspected coils, only now should you go to fuel.You say you can hear the pump run, so check for actual quantity and pressure. At this point you can start your proper diagnonis. You also need to check for any codes.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
How many miles are on your R56? For limp mode, typically your MINI will show a half full check engine light. You can test your fuel system, which might not be a bad idea here. Use our article for step by step instructions here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...mp_Testing.htm. Also, have you plugged into your MINI and checked the DME for any faults? Not that this is your issue, but when was the last time you did a carbon clean up on your MINI? Once the build-up reaches the maximum tolerable level your MINI can have some stalling issues. Can read more here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...n_Cleaning.htm.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Charlie

Originally Posted by schovil69
I have a 2008 MCS(Charlie) that will not run. It's a hard start and if it does start at all, the RPM's will not go over 2000. About as soon as the RPM's get there they drop to under 1000 and Charlie sputters 'til he dies. This site has been incredibly helpful with other issues that have popped up and general knowledge of these cars.

Charlie has always ran rough and lacked power. There was maybe one week I drove him to work where he actually would accelerate up a hill. Usually, he loses speed going up a hill. I scoured the pages of NorthAmericanMotoring and was convinced the HPFP was the culprit. So, I sourced a new one from Way Motors (the last good deal in the country for a new one at a still ridiculously high price) and installed it to no avail. I have a great deal for anyone in need of a good used HPFP if you know someone looking. At Ways suggestion, I also changed the small steel flared line. This suggestion still perplexes me as to why a steel line with flared fittings needs replaced. Those things were consistently reused by me in my Air Force days without a single failure. Brake lines on my cars never seem to need replaced either, but I digress.

The low pressure pump is receiving 5V and the pump is spinning. I'm thinking the internal parts of this low pressure pump may be susceptible to wearing out such that the pump will spin but nothing happens. The starting then sputtering and quit running leads me to intuitively think the low pressure pump is the issue. I'm hoping one of you guys or gals out there may have experience the same issue and resolved it.

I guess that's where we'll start. Let know if you have any questions.
How long / how many miles has this symptom existed?

Have you checked to see if any error codes are recorded in the computer?

Looking at the 3 areas for combustion - here are some off-the-top-of-my-head- questions:

AIR
any vacuum leaks?
clogged catalytic converter?
bypass valve operating correctly?
turbo in good condition?

FUEL
clogged injectors?
clogged fuel filter?
fuel pump in-tank?
bad gas?

IGNITION
condition of spark plugs?
gap on the plugs?
carbon buildup on the valves or on the pistons?

Also, a simple re-flash of the ECU by the dealer has solved driveability issues.

Hope this helps, let us know how it progresses.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 AM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Thank you all for your replies!

Poor Charlie sat and sat while I just could not get to working on him but he's good to go now. I replaced the low pressure fuel pump and filter last night. Charlie gets up and goes as well as would be expected from the little car. It's actually a fun car to drive for the short test drive I did.

Now that Charlie and my Acuras are in good shape, it's time to move on to my chevelle.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Just received a call from my daughter saying Charlie is behaving same as before. Starts, briefly runs rough, then dies. Since purchase, Charlie has the following new parts: HPFP, LPFP, in tank filter, spark plugs, coils, thermostat, water pump, water pipe, turbo tube. So, for five days the little car ran great then went back to the ways things have been for a long time. Sounds to me like there's an electrical issue somewhere. Is there a common electrical issue for these cars that may cause the LPFP to either stop working?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:10 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Electrical issues will be accompanied by a stubborn check engine light. you did not mention if you were getting any CELs? where in the states are you located?

Old 06-02-2017, 02:51 PM
schovil69
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Electrical issues will be accompanied by a stubborn check engine light. you did not mention if you were getting any CELs? where in the states are you located?
Thanks for following up on this! I posted over in the R56 thread since this is the wrong forum. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...arlie-r56.html

To answer your question here, though, it's been so long since I touched this car that I do not recall. A couple large events occurring this weekend will free up a lot of my time now that the planning and prep are done and out of the way. I will be getting back to it next week. If you have any other thoughts/questions on this issue, post 'em up in the thread I linked above.