R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 You ma' boy blue!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:04 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You ma' boy blue!

Hi all! Hopefully some of you caught the reference from the title, but if not hopefully someone will enlighten you with the title of a hilarious movie.

Anyways, I've been lurking around these forums for a few months now after acquiring my first MINI, having dealt with a couple of forum members in the market place and the usual suspects as far as vendors go (WMW/ECS/pelican/Helix). So, I figured it was time to introduce myself!

It's a 2003 MINI Cooper S and had 82k miles when I took delivery. All in all I think the overall condition is pretty good considering the age. I've done a decent amount of work just trying to catch up on maintenance, while throwing in a mod here and there while everything was apart for maintenance of course.

So far I've knocked out the following mechanically:

-SC oil
-WMW 17% pulley with appropriate belt/plugs
-Coolant flush
-OEM struts/TSW springs(ordered some Koni yellows after this mistake)
-H-Sport rear control arms
-H-Spot comp rear sway bar
-Brake fluid flush
-DIY CAI

The other misc things:

-Kenwood speakers front/back
-Various plasti dipping(Wheels are probably going back white when the weather warms up a bit)
-Blacked out belt line
-White LEDs for the interior
-Mud flaps(still iffy about them)
-Post face lift steering wheel

Of course there is much more on the way since I'm addicted to this car now... I've always wanted a classic Mini but this will subdue my craving for now I think. Great cars with a great community it seems. Anyways, enough of me yammering, onto some pictures.

Delivery day!

After some plasti dip love to get rid of the chrome and add some better contrast.(I despise chrome)

Tried a different look with the bronze.

As it sits now with the mud flaps installed.

I figured some might as so I added some alternate angles.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:15 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks nice, I think gold wheels go well with the blue. Like here:

Attached Thumbnails You ma' boy blue!-image-1744007974.jpg  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM
joshua stowe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want bronze wheels

Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
It's actually funny that you post that picture bav. That's the MINI I saw that made me want to see how the bronze looked on my car and I completely agree that with the right wheel shape bronze looks amazing with blue, especially when it's the feathers. I still haven't decided on a color for when I actually get aftermarket wheels but those are the ones I was leaning towards.

And Josh I would highly recommend plasti dip to try if you want to try the bronze look. I think it's a great way to either keep your look fresh or just a great test palate before you dive all the way in on a new paint job. I think those you have on your car would look awesome in bronze. And on a side note, what % tint is that?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
We're going streaking!!

Loving the bronze wheels with the mudflaps. Contrasts very nicely on the blue. I think you should stick with that color when you pick up a set of new wheels. I like the white gas cap. Was that painted or dipped? Goes nicely with the white roof/mirror caps.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-12-2016, 10:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Ol' Blue
Hi all! Hopefully some of you caught the reference from the title, but if not hopefully someone will enlighten you with the title of a hilarious movie.

Anyways, I've been lurking around these forums for a few months now after acquiring my first MINI, having dealt with a couple of forum members in the market place and the usual suspects as far as vendors go (WMW/ECS/pelican/Helix). So, I figured it was time to introduce myself!

It's a 2003 MINI Cooper S and had 82k miles when I took delivery. All in all I think the overall condition is pretty good considering the age. I've done a decent amount of work just trying to catch up on maintenance, while throwing in a mod here and there while everything was apart for maintenance of course.

So far I've knocked out the following mechanically:

-SC oil
-WMW 17% pulley with appropriate belt/plugs
-Coolant flush
-OEM struts/TSW springs(ordered some Koni yellows after this mistake)
-H-Sport rear control arms
-H-Spot comp rear sway bar
-Brake fluid flush
-DIY CAI

The other misc things:

-Kenwood speakers front/back
-Various plasti dipping(Wheels are probably going back white when the weather warms up a bit)
-Blacked out belt line
-White LEDs for the interior
-Mud flaps(still iffy about them)
-Post face lift steering wheel

Of course there is much more on the way since I'm addicted to this car now... I've always wanted a classic Mini but this will subdue my craving for now I think. Great cars with a great community it seems. Anyways, enough of me yammering, onto some pictures.

Delivery day!

After some plasti dip love to get rid of the chrome and add some better contrast.(I despise chrome)

Tried a different look with the bronze.

As it sits now with the mud flaps installed.

I figured some might as so I added some alternate angles.

Very nice and thanks for the orders. Makes me miss my lightning blue R56 w/ white top.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
We're going streaking!!

Loving the bronze wheels with the mudflaps. Contrasts very nicely on the blue. I think you should stick with that color when you pick up a set of new wheels. I like the white gas cap. Was that painted or dipped? Goes nicely with the white roof/mirror caps.
Lol finally someone gets it. I've always loved the rally look so that with the inherent rocks/grime that our cars love to sling all over the cars pushed me to try out fitting some bigger mud flaps since the OEM front ones are tiny and the rear ones I got only fit the r50 rear bumper. And I agree with the gold/blue combo, I just need some different wheels to really bring it together. As for the gas cap, it, and the scuddles are dipped white. Truly great stuff if you care for it correctly.

Likewise ECS. You guys tend to come through for the odd parts that I can't find anywhere else so that's always nice. And it's never to late to grab you another blue/white combo.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks , hard to find , EURO , and very strange JCW parts are our thing.

Yea, I need to get another blue , but it have the Red R58 JCW and R52 MCC Hot orange to keep me MINI. Think next one needs to be Blue R53 .

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Morganinaboat
2nd Gear
Got a name for her yet? Looks like it might be Indi Blue (by far the bestest of all the blues IMO). Rally stripes on the bonnet? Looks solid. Have fun out there.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Thanks , hard to find , EURO , and very strange JCW parts are our thing.

Yea, I need to get another blue , but it have the Red R58 JCW and R52 MCC Hot orange to keep me MINI. Think next one needs to be Blue R53 .
Sounds like you've got a nice collection going there. And I agree a blue R53 would definitely be a nice addition. Any pics up where I can check out those 2?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Morganinaboat
Got a name for her yet? Looks like it might be Indi Blue (by far the bestest of all the blues IMO). Rally stripes on the bonnet? Looks solid. Have fun out there.
Well my wife has called her "blueberry", but I think Ol' Blue is suiting.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:22 PM
MiniSMan
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
It is Indi Blue ! they only made that color ...until 2004 because i use to own a 2004 Indi MCS ...Great color !

Originally Posted by Morganinaboat

Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniSMan
It is Indi Blue ! they only made that color ...until 2004 because i use to own a 2004 Indi MCS ...Great color !
Indeed!

Old 02-13-2016, 04:59 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
All we are is dust in the wind........... sorry, I know someone beat me to it but I had to chime in.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by X757XVeritas
All we are is dust in the wind........... sorry, I know someone beat me to it but I had to chime in.
Haha gotta love it!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sounds like you've got a nice collection going there. And I agree a blue R53 would definitely be a nice addition. Any pics up where I can check out those 2?
Thanks

My Build list.

2005 R52 MINI Cooper Convertible (Justa) w/ JCW Sound Kit ( and lots other OEM / ECS mods/ JCW stuff. ) 250K+

Its a long list on the R52 ...
ECS STPs
ECS Geomets ( up to 7/2006)
ECS SS Brake lines 4/2003+ R50 R52 r53
2005 steering wheel conversion w/ MFSW controls Button upgrade for full factory bluetooth
Center armrest retrofit
JCW sound kit ( full intake and exhaust , badges ) ( Full kits now NLA )
JCW stictched down tubes. ( Now NLA )
Checkered Dash , interior Rolls overs and convertible interior trim D brace, A covers (Custom)
Custom stripes
Ziza LED interior kit
Ziza exterior LEDs
Ziza plate lights
Ziza back up lights

JCW 4 piston Brembo kit with hawk pads ( just left the stock rear for now. You have to change the front with ECS brakes lines, rears I have not changed , thus stock silver R502 R52 r53 calipers .
Cooper S Euro full suspension ( like Sport plus option), ordered for europe
Full MINI Bluetooth kit with IPhone snap in adapter
R91 wheels silver and R113 black wheels now
Hot orange e brake handle and shift ****
JCW floor mats ( now NLA )
05+ seat back covers
under-strut system prototype
Euro taillights now w/ amber tops (7/2004+)
Clear Brake light ( R52 )
Rear fog light
JCW door sills
Checkered patter on grille and overhead, ( custom )
Stubby antenna
new valeo clutch 7/2004+ Base ( NON S )

Factory white sport stripes (Viper stripes) just added
... Etc

Future:
Euro parcel dash left and right
Wooden Euro dash trim Factory ( Just got actually ) 7/2004+
GP brake boot and shift base
Bilsteins

JCW tuning kit head
Milltek header
and its goes on and on.

2012 R58 MINI Coupe' JCW ( and lots other OEM / ECS mods/ JCW stuff. ) Close to 49 K

JCW Coupe'
ECS CF intake
ECS STP
ECS GP2 6 piston Big Brake kits for Factory JCW models ( on mine ) : For Cooper & Cooper S ( for others )
ECS Geomets Factory JCW brakes drilled / slotted ( before the GP2 BBK kit was installed )
ECS SS brake lines ( before the GP2 Brake kit was installed ) After the GP2 brakes we changed out the front lines with the full kit.
Ziza Lights all around, DRL , interior kit.. ( R58/ R59 models )
Rolls Royce / Goodwood Dash inserts and door grabs .
Spyder Headlights HID DRLs version, they have for halogen people also.
15mm wheel spacers all around

2007 R56 MINI Cooper S ( and lots other OEM / ECS mods/ JCW stuff. )
Up to 120 K , just sold to a Club Member.

R56 MINI Cooper S 2007
ECS and Ziza full coverage
Forge intake tube
Etc

Last edited by ECSTuning; 03-29-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Thanks

My Build list.

2005 R52 MINI Cooper Convertible (Justa) w/ JCW Sound Kit ( and lots other OEM / ECS mods/ JCW stuff. ) 250K+

Its a long list on the R52 ...
ECS STPs
ECS Geomets
ECS SS Brake lines
2005 steering wheel conversion w/ MFSW controls
Center armrest retrofit
JCW sound kit ( full intake and exhaust , badges )
JCW stictched down tubes.
Checkered Dash , interior Rolls overs and convertible interior trim D brace, A covers
Custom stripes
Ziza LED interior kit
Ziza exterior LEDs
Ziza plate lights
Ziza back up lights
JCW 4 piston Brembo kit with hawk pads
Cooper S Euro full suspension ( like Sport plus option), ordered for europe
Full MINI Bluetooth kit with IPhone snap in adapter
R91 wheels silver and R113 black wheels now
Hot orange e brake handle and shift ****
JCW floor mats ( now NLA )
05+ seat back covers
under-strut system prototype
Euro taillights now w/ amber tops
Rear fog light
JCW door sills
Checkered patter on grille and overhead,
Stubby antenna
new valeo clutch

Factory white sport stripes (Viper stripes) just added
... Etc

Furture
Euro parcel dash left and right
Wooden Euro dash trim Factory
GP brake boot and shift base
Bilsteins

JCW tuning kit head
Milltek header
and its goes on and on.

2012 R58 MINI Coupe' JCW ( and lots other OEM / ECS mods/ JCW stuff. ) Close to 49 K

JCW Coupe'
ECS CF intake
ECS STP
ECS GP2 6 piston Big Brake kits
ECS Geomets drilled slotted
ECS SS brake lines
Ziza Lights all around, DRL , interior kit..
Rolls Royce / Goodwood Dash inserts and door grabs
Spyder Headlights HID DRLs
etc..

2007 R56 MINI Cooper S ( and lots other OEM / ECS mods/ JCW stuff. )
Up to 120 K , just sold to a Club Member.

R56 MINI Cooper S
ECS and Ziza full coverage
Forge intake tube
Etc
Incredible work man. When you first explained your cars I had my suspicions on whether or not that orange cooper was yours or not since I always see it as your model for all of your Ziza LED offerings.

The just looks absolutely amazing after 250k miles on her. Have you had a respray done at all or is that just meticulous care and being garage kept? Simply amazing. And to add to that the list of mods definitely looks like you've put in a lot of work to make it very unique, which I love about these cars. I will hopefully be taking the plunge on those Helix headlights(If I remember correctly) here soon to get rid of the dated halogen headlights. And what is the deal with the rear fog lights on these cars? I'm not sure I understand the purpose but I am quite new to them so please excuse my ignorance.

On a side note if you're looking for some OEM Bilsteins(I highly doubt it) I'm about to have some available since I'm going up to the Yellows.

That R56 looks and R58 look like gems as well. I'm a bit partial to the R50/2/3 type style since they keep getting bigger and bigger it seems but those two are definitely nice looking cars.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:40 AM
joshua stowe
2nd Gear
Ecstuning I better see you at the dragon

Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Are there dates yet for the dragon this year?

Old 02-15-2016, 10:42 AM
joshua stowe
2nd Gear
Check out mini of the dragon. It's either April or March, I live about an hour from it so I'll be there alot

Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Incredible work man. When you first explained your cars I had my suspicions on whether or not that orange cooper was yours or not since I always see it as your model for all of your Ziza LED offerings.

The just looks absolutely amazing after 250k miles on her. Have you had a respray done at all or is that just meticulous care and being garage kept? Simply amazing. And to add to that the list of mods definitely looks like you've put in a lot of work to make it very unique, which I love about these cars. I will hopefully be taking the plunge on those Helix headlights(If I remember correctly) here soon to get rid of the dated halogen headlights. And what is the deal with the rear fog lights on these cars? I'm not sure I understand the purpose but I am quite new to them so please excuse my ignorance.

On a side note if you're looking for some OEM Bilsteins(I highly doubt it) I'm about to have some available since I'm going up to the Yellows.

That R56 looks and R58 look like gems as well. I'm a bit partial to the R50/2/3 type style since they keep getting bigger and bigger it seems but those two are definitely nice looking cars.
Originally Posted by joshua stowe
Ecstuning I better see you at the dragon
Ol Blue- All linked above now, post #16 . Thanks its been painted in the back for the rust issue, but other then that , garage kept and detailed all the time ( used to do high end body and detail work). MINIUSA saw it at MINIHQ in NJ many times and they cant believe the mileage and the condition , one time they bought me a grille badge because I had it in such good shape.

Rear Fog lights linked in my build. Helix headlights here : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

joshua- was there in the past a couple years ago , maybe in the future.

Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-15-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joshua stowe
Check out mini of the dragon. It's either April or March, I live about an hour from it so I'll be there alot
Looks like it's May 11-15. I'll definitely attempt it but with a little one due in April and me being on the other side of NC it's a toss up.

Ol Blue- All linked above now, post #16 . Thanks its been painted in the back for the rust issue, but other then that , garage kept and detailed all the time ( used to do high end body and detail work). MINIUSA saw it at MINIHQ in NJ many times and they cant believe the mileage and the condition , one time they bought me a grille badge because I had it in such good shape.

Rear Fog lights linked in my build. Helix headlights here : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...installed.html

joshua- was there in the past a couple years ago , maybe in the future.
Makes sense then, I envy your detailing skills.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:12 PM
X757XVeritas
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm gonna attempt to make it to the dragon, and I live on the coast of VA, you can make it! Bring the little one and make it a family vacation!

Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by X757XVeritas
I'm gonna attempt to make it to the dragon, and I live on the coast of VA, you can make it! Bring the little one and make it a family vacation!
We will see. She will only be about 2 weeks old at that point so I doubt any long distance traveling will be done with her lol.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Looks like it's May 11-15. I'll definitely attempt it but with a little one due in April and me being on the other side of NC it's a toss up.

Makes sense then, I envy your detailing skills.
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: R50/53 You ma' boy blue!