R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 DDM Intake Install and weird (resolved) issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So - got a DDM works intake recently...Had some time to work on getting it in.

First thoughts:

1) it's gorgeous

2) fitment I'll give it a 8/10

3) don't even think about trying to use the stock intake hose - the stock hose actually almost fits inside of the body of the DDM works metal intake body that's how much larger the intake is than stock...even with the DDM works silicone hose I had to heat it up to go over throttle body and intake body

so - buttoned it all up and I didn't have a worm clamp large enough to go over the intake body part - no worries I thought it was so tight to get on its probably good.

wrong - I got out on the road and was getting a very odd sucking noise and really huge loss in power. On the scan gauge I was seeing calculated boost of 5.5 PSI. I had been seeing 13-14....okay.

At first I thought it was the bypass valve and very coincidental that it happened with new intake. I had other things to do so I parked the car for a few days...today I took the mini out to run errands...and stopped into autozone. Got a worm clamp ($2.99 for 2).

Got home - clamped it down and hit the highway again. Much smoother - less fluttering noise with the sucking of the intake and I hit my normal 13 psi.

So...does anyone believe the lack of a clamp was the issue? Could having that small of a leak before the throttle body mind you really cause this? Everything seems to be fine now... Hooray

Old 01-16-2016, 02:11 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wouldn't think the lack of filter would cause an issue, except putting in filtered air in your engine.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
I wouldn't think the lack of filter would cause an issue, except putting in filtered air in your engine.
So it wasn't a lack of a filter - the DDM has a metal tube that passed through its body - filter goes to one side (came with a clamp). On the other side - connects to the intake tube that goes to the throttle body. It was tight on the tube but had no clamp ... The clamp isn't on there gorilla tight...

Old 01-16-2016, 02:46 PM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
So it wasn't a lack of a filter - the DDM has a metal tube that passed through its body - filter goes to one side (came with a clamp). On the other side - connects to the intake tube that goes to the throttle body. It was tight on the tube but had no clamp ... The clamp isn't on there gorilla tight...
oh I see so it was attached just not clamped, that's strange it caused an issue

Old 01-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bavmotors
oh I see so it was attached just not clamped, that's strange it caused an issue
Only thing I can think of is that the two sources of air coming in caused a lot of turbulence which caused weird readings at the MAP??

Old 01-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Spdjnke
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check the stock accordion intake tube for cracks. I have a DDM and I use the stock hose with no issues at all, I'm very suprised that you did.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:15 AM
Unbreakable Lump
2nd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like you had a vacuum leak on the downstream side of the throttle body (inlet to supercharger) that got resolved when you were fiddling with getting the hose clamp on the inlet to the throttle body.

A small leak on the throttle body inlet side wouldn't be heard as a vacuum leak since there's no significant vacuum on that side.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:24 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Spdjnke
Check the stock accordion intake tube for cracks. I have a DDM and I use the stock hose with no issues at all, I'm very suprised that you did.
Thanks - I don't use the accordion tube - I have the DDM works silicone hose

Old 01-31-2016, 08:35 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Yeah a leak before the throttle body would never cause this issue, as you can run the car without anything attached to the throttle body and it will work fine. We sometimes have to do that when we have a car apart and doing diagnosis.

Also the stock hose will fit on the DDM intake easier than you think. We put it on the bottom of the tube first then use a screwdriver to walk it onto the top and makes a nice tight fit.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yeah a leak before the throttle body would never cause this issue, as you can run the car without anything attached to the throttle body and it will work fine. We sometimes have to do that when we have a car apart and doing diagnosis. Also the stock hose will fit on the DDM intake easier than you think. We put it on the bottom of the tube first then use a screwdriver to walk it onto the top and makes a nice tight fit.
Thanks way - I'm not sure if the 2003 had a smaller tube but it wasn't gonna happen...I tried for a while and just gave up and ordered the DDM silicone tube.

An update on the issue - it seems to be temperature related. Happened again the other day when the temp dropped. Has anyone ever hold of a BPV getting stuck in cold temps? I've never changed it out 2003 with 105k miles. I have a new OEM one sitting on the shelf.