R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Front Tag Removel - Recommended Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 08:48 AM
MINI-FUN
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Fellow Motorist...

This weekend I removed the US front tag assembly from my car. I have before and after photos of the car, but don't know how to post them. I really think that it looks much better. No since in giving the dealerships too much free advertising. I will be off to the UK in a couple of weeks and hope to get a real British tag for it.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:06 AM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
MINI-Fun,
I would be happy to post the pictures for you. Drop an email to feedback@northamericanmotoring.com with the pictures as attachments and I'll add them to a section of the gallery. Thanks!

Mark

Old 06-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Tollag
4th Gear
what exactly is the front tag?

Old 06-15-2002, 12:55 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I did the same for my MINI.
very easy to do and it looks far better without the bulky tag assembly spoiling the lines of the car.

Here is mine with a classic 'Euro' style tag in place of the US one. Even if your state requires a front tag, I would recommend taking off the assembly and mounting it an alternate way.

Old 06-15-2002, 09:40 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I myself was thinking of getting a UK style plate put on. But wouldn't know where to get one, or have one made, or what to have on it. Was thinking of something custom, but couldn't come up with anything. So I just left it at putting on a decal. But I like the 'MINI2K2" look. Although it inspired me to think up something else.
How/where did you go about acquiring that plate, ACETONIC?
Now I just have to come up with an idea of where to put the regualar Province tag plate. Maybe just in the front windshield or something.
Cheers.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:43 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Nice Euro plate acetonic! Nice MINI too! I also had a custom Euro plate made for the front of mine (I promise to post pics soon!). Here's where I got mine from:
http://www.autoplates.com/ki14000.htm

It arrived within 10 days of ordering. I recommend the 520C because you can choose the background and text color so you can match your car if you want instead of the standard black on white Euro plates. Total order cost was $52. Order the frame, but you don't need the bolt kit. Just use the 2 screws you removed from the US plate adapter and put washers inbetween the screw and plate frame for added security in grip. They even give you the round registration stickers to put on the plate, but I chose to go without. I've gotten so many compliments on the Euro plate already- it really adds to the MINI experience! Every MINI should have one!

Old 06-15-2002, 11:43 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I got mine at Triple-C.com. Shipping times and service was great. As far as I can tell, you are limited to 7 letters plus a space on their plates. I'm sure there are other sources for them around.

Triple-C motor accessories

good luck!

Old 07-10-2002, 10:13 AM
JohnW
4th Gear
Removal of front license plate bracket/assembly DEFINITELY Recommended! My Mini looks SO much better without it!

Old 07-10-2002, 10:16 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Unfortunately I live in a place where I will get a ticket if I don't have both the front and back plates....LIFE IS SO UNFAIR!

Old 07-10-2002, 12:28 PM
JohnW
4th Gear
That's too bad... I heard a rumor that Florida may be going to front & back plates in the next few years also.

Hey, maybe you could turn the license plate bracket/assembly upside-down, and then it wouldn't obscure the grill lines!

Old 07-10-2002, 06:03 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
California has a two plate law(front and rear). It's not heavily inforced, but not having a front plate will set you up for 'cop harassment'. No thanks!--BUMMER

Old 07-10-2002, 07:07 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
You can always keep your front plate in the glove box and whip it out if you get pulled over saying, "Sorry Officer, it must have fallen off the front dash." If you display it in the front window, that counts as a front plate. I didn't have a front plate on my last car for 6 years (I'm in CA) and never had a problem. Of course the MINI gets a lot more attention, wanted or not. If you really look around you'll notice how many normal cars just don't have front plates (Honda, Dodge, Ford, Mercedes, trucks, car, anything). I don't think you'd get pulled over just for that (just like tinting driver and passenger side windows), but if you get stopped for a speeding violation and the cop is in a bad mood, then they could always write you up for the front plate and tinted windows. It's a fixable violation though. That's a risk I'm willing to take!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:21 PM
metoomonica
Neutral
Hello, this is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it right. I just got a 2013 mini and I want to put a UK tag on the front, but there are no holes anywhere to put it. They have ton's of tags on E-Bay!!! Used one's and also people who make custom ones. Does anyone know if it possible to put one on a 2013? The manual says that it has American Kit, whatever that is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM
NolaSafari
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am new here also, looks like to add a tag mount to the front of the car the dealers used self tapping screws which will put hole in the front bumper. I know this because I just removed the tag on my wife's MINI and the holes in the bumper look like crap. I don't feel like doing the body work to repair the holes.

I have seen kits which use the tow hook mount for installing a plate in the front of the car. This will work for a American style plate but not a European style plate.

Happy Motoring
NolaSafari

Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 AM
metoomonica
Neutral
Thanks!

Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
You are in the Gen1 MINI section. They have an insert for this. On Gen 2 MINIs you have little tap holes in the front.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-16-2018, 05:51 PM
NolaSafari
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
You are in the Gen1 MINI section. They have an insert for this. On Gen 2 spotMINIs you have little tap holes in the front.
Well, the dealer used 4 self tapping screws to mount the plate box with a MINI plate to the nose, may have had tap holes but the result is it looks like crap when you pull off the plate bracket. I may be able to clean up the holes, spot it, clear it, and polish it. I really don't want to shoot the entire bumper.

What is really funny is my sons Lotus has the same issue just a lot easier to fix, as the marks are on a rectangle section of the nose, so only have to work the little rectangle. I may just cut the ugly rectangle off and fill it.