R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Mini has no electrical, but battery up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 AM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini has no electrical, but battery up

Hello,
I very much enjoy this forum, but could not find help, thus creating a new thread.

I have a 2002 Mini S, no problems. But, went to start it today...........nothing. No interior lights, no ignition, nothing.

Book shows how to jump start with engine terminals. I have a portable charging system, hooked it up and it shows full charge. Tried to start with charging engage...........nothing.

Checked all fuses, and they are ok. Checked square fuses, and they are ok. Visually looked at small square fuses, and they are ok.

Ok, perhaps the battery is bad, book shows a ring to pull to manually open the rear hatch. Removed my seat, and I have no ring.......

So, no electrical power and can't open rear hatch.

I am 200 miles from any dealer, so adrift..

Any suggestions?
juanpablo2002

Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juanpablo2002
Hello, I very much enjoy this forum, but could not find help, thus creating a new thread. I have a 2002 Mini S, no problems. But, went to start it today...........nothing. No interior lights, no ignition, nothing. Book shows how to jump start with engine terminals. I have a portable charging system, hooked it up and it shows full charge. Tried to start with charging engage...........nothing. Checked all fuses, and they are ok. Checked square fuses, and they are ok. Visually looked at small square fuses, and they are ok. Ok, perhaps the battery is bad, book shows a ring to pull to manually open the rear hatch. Removed my seat, and I have no ring....... So, no electrical power and can't open rear hatch. I am 200 miles from any dealer, so adrift.. Any suggestions? juanpablo2002

Did you get any of the interior lights to come on when plugging the charging system? Or nothing at all. If you have a friend with a car I think that will be a better idea. If you do get some power try opening the hatch before you do anything else. Early MINIs didn't have the cable to open the hatch I think the workers were drunk and forgot to put the cable in :-)

Is the battery original? This cars act very strange when the battery is bad and some times won't start even jumped.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:27 AM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
No lights at anytime. Portable charger, which I use on other vehicles shows the battery fully charged.

Of the rear hatch, this is one of the first minis, it has no means to release the hatch.

I run the car always to keep the battery up. Thus confused, and perplexed.

Appreciative of your comments and suggestions.
juanpablo2002

Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 AM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Battery replaced about 4 years ago

Old 02-18-2014, 11:45 AM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
I suppose best option is to get a good battery and hope that starts it, or allows the hatch to open. For if battery is known to be strange, then start with that.

But if not, then how to open the hatch if no power and no cable? I could possibly remove the rear seats, but the hatch is covered by plastic moldings which cannot be removed with hatch closed..............

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM
minibx
5th Gear
I suppose best option is to get a good battery and hope that starts it, or allows the hatch to open. For if battery is known to be strange, then start with that. But if not, then how to open the hatch if no power and no cable? I could possibly remove the rear seats, but the hatch is covered by plastic moldings which cannot be removed with hatch closed..............
Yeah it will be a pain trying to lower the seats and you may and up braking something. Is it a battery charger or a battery Pack with jumper cables that you have? You should be able to get enough power to at least open the boot by connecting it .

Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
minibx
5th Gear
If you are getting a new battery Pep boys had a 10% off Bosch batteries I'm not sure if it is still on. Their computer will say that they have to order it must of the time, I just picked up a sizes 47 off the self for about 119.00 because I didn't want to wait and some one else here recommended the same one, it fits perfectly they took 20.00 off the price because the 10% coupon wouldn't scan :-). Good luck

Old 02-18-2014, 12:27 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't the car have jumping ports in the engine compartment? I'd jump the car with a known good battery first rather than relying on your charger to pronouce the battery as good. Hopefully, this will also give you power to release the hatch.

If the battery is good and you get nothing at all turning the key, it almost has to be a fuse or the ignition switch. Much more likely to be a fuse.

- Mark

Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 PM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Check all fuses and ok.

Did get my charger up, and able to open the hatch....

Turn key and lights come on. Tried to start in jump mode, but only clicking.

Charger running at 10 amps, but not decreasing. Likely battery has problem. Advanced auto has one, but a bit expensive.

Any tricks to removing the battery, or simply take it out?

Most grateful
juanpablo

Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Check all fuses and ok. Did get my charger up, and able to open the hatch.... Turn key and lights come on. Tried to start in jump mode, but only clicking. Charger running at 10 amps, but not decreasing. Likely battery has problem. Advanced auto has one, but a bit expensive. Any tricks to removing the battery, or simply take it out? Most grateful juanpablo
Glad that you were able to open the hatch....get a new battery like I said size/class/whatever they call it 47 sadly they are all 100.00 +

Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Will get a new battery this afternoon, ok to simply take it out?

Batteries can suddenly fail, therefore will let you know.

A side tip that helped me: I used local lube place to change my engine oil, but wanted to do it myself. When I took the drain plug out, oil pan threads came with it.....too tight. The NAPA dealer had a threaded drain plug that is oversize and taps as you turn it. Simply turn the plug and it cuts new threads. I then used regular oil to remove any shavings. Did that years ago, and no problem since.

Best regards,
juanpablo2002

Old 02-18-2014, 01:16 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Will get a new battery this afternoon, ok to simply take it out? Batteries can suddenly fail, therefore will let you know. A side tip that helped me: I used local lube place to change my engine oil, but wanted to do it myself. When I took the drain plug out, oil pan threads came with it.....too tight. The NAPA dealer had a threaded drain plug that is oversize and taps as you turn it. Simply turn the plug and it cuts new threads. I then used regular oil to remove any shavings. Did that years ago, and no problem since. Best regards, juanpablo2002
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention it. Yes the battery just comes out disconnect and pull out that's it you'll need no coding or anything once the new one goes in, is my understanding that not all group 47 batteries are the same, I could be wrong

Old 02-18-2014, 02:14 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Fitting a battery to an early S is a bit of an art. There are lots of batteries that fit the compartment more/less, but only a few which are a true "exact fit" without shimming and which use the standard hold down hardware. There are several VERY long threads on this forum about the issue.

One of the exact fit ones is available at Battery Plus stores....

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...ercharged.aspx

- Mark

Old 02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Battery was bad, a bit out of warranty, but got 50% off. Installed, and started right up !!

So, if you loose all power, including interior lights, then after checking fuses, the battery itself is bad !!

If I had not been able to get a bit of power to open the hatch, then I would be in really bad shape. Therefore, I'll contact MINI and ask them for a service kit to install the mechanical release for the hatch.

Thankful for everyone's help,
juanpablo2002

Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Therefore, I'll contact MINI and ask them for a service kit to install the mechanical release for the hatch.
I don't think a "service kit" was ever released, so I bet you'll be SOL on this.

- Mark

Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 PM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Found this link from Sonoma1100 dated 2/21/03:

For those of you concerned with no emergency rear hatch release, I have a quick do-it-yourself release that is simple and quick.
First: Remove the coverhiding the latch assy. There are three retainers, one in the center, one on each end of the cover just above the cargo floor. Pull the pin from the center of the retainer, then remove the large portion of the retainer.
Second: Lift the cargo door up, then pull up sharply on the latch cover, it will now be free. There are 4 retainers securing the cover to the frame, if any remain in the frame, remove them and secure them in the cover.
Third: Inspect the latch assy, there is a small white plastic slide. If you slide it toward the passenger side, it will expose a small arm with a hole. I looped and crimped a 3 foot piece of 16 gauge solid wire through the hole, drilled a small hole in the passenger side of the hatch cover, ran the other end of the wire through the hole, cut off the excess wire, made a small loop and crimped the other end.
Final: Re-install the cover, make sure the cargo floor cover is above the latch cover before you snap the 4 yellow retainers in place.
You will need to remove and not use the cargo cover unless you are creative and route the cable beyond the seat backs.
If all goes well, you will have a small cable loop exposed for emergency use.

juanpablo2002

Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Found this link from Sonoma1100 dated 2/21/03: For those of you concerned with no emergency rear hatch release, I have a quick do-it-yourself release that is simple and quick. First: Remove the coverhiding the latch assy. There are three retainers, one in the center, one on each end of the cover just above the cargo floor. Pull the pin from the center of the retainer, then remove the large portion of the retainer. Second: Lift the cargo door up, then pull up sharply on the latch cover, it will now be free. There are 4 retainers securing the cover to the frame, if any remain in the frame, remove them and secure them in the cover. Third: Inspect the latch assy, there is a small white plastic slide. If you slide it toward the passenger side, it will expose a small arm with a hole. I looped and crimped a 3 foot piece of 16 gauge solid wire through the hole, drilled a small hole in the passenger side of the hatch cover, ran the other end of the wire through the hole, cut off the excess wire, made a small loop and crimped the other end. Final: Re-install the cover, make sure the cargo floor cover is above the latch cover before you snap the 4 yellow retainers in place. You will need to remove and not use the cargo cover unless you are creative and route the cable beyond the seat backs. If all goes well, you will have a small cable loop exposed for emergency use. juanpablo2002
Good find, I do think that there is a retrofit available, ECS may be able to help.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 AM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Minibx,
Curious, who is ECS?

Again, thank you for your advice,
juanpablo2002

Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Minibx, Curious, who is ECS? Again, thank you for your advice, juanpablo2002
Sorry man, ECS tuning they are sponsors here on NAM http://www.ecstuning.com/ there a rep that will help you with parts that you may need from them, parts that otherwise you may have a hard time finding them due to split production years etc...

Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM
juanpablo2002
1st Gear
Minibx,
ECU does show a kit for hatch on 2002 models. I will pop the covers off and see if I can do this via the link I found. If not, then I'll get one from ECU.

Most appreciative,
juanpablo2002

Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Minibx, ECU does show a kit for hatch on 2002 models. I will pop the covers off and see if I can do this via the link I found. If not, then I'll get one from ECU. Most appreciative, juanpablo2002
No problem, but ECU is your car computer lol, ECS tuning is the store. Good luck