R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 first axle changeout....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Cjustice
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first axle changeout....

Hello again mini community!
So i got a replacement passenger side half shaft/cv assembly for my 5 speed manual 2006 R50 i just have the half shaft/assembly(nothing else came in the box) and good idea of how it goes in any tips you guys may have to make sure i get it done right the first time, is it really just pull it out and put it in? also what transmission fluid will i need to replace the fluid i lose and how much should i order.... also are there any torque specs i need to pay attention to when reassembling. Oh yeah the boots came on the assembly already clamped does this mean they are already packed so all i have to do is just put it in, because it had the ******* type clamps with crimp at the top that i have always cut off to remove.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 AM
jnathan68
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cjustice
Hello again mini community!
So i got a replacement passenger side half shaft/cv assembly for my 5 speed manual 2006 R50 i just have the half shaft/assembly(nothing else came in the box) and good idea of how it goes in any tips you guys may have to make sure i get it done right the first time, is it really just pull it out and put it in? also what transmission fluid will i need to replace the fluid i lose and how much should i order.... also are there any torque specs i need to pay attention to when reassembling. Oh yeah the boots came on the assembly already clamped does this mean they are already packed so all i have to do is just put it in, because it had the ******* type clamps with crimp at the top that i have always cut off to remove.
Well yes, technically it is just unbolt and "pop" the old axle out and then "pop" the new axle in and bolt it down. As you probably know if you work on cars, a bit more work involved. I am sure instructions are somewhere out in web land but just a couple comments/suggestions -

1) Based on it being a 2006, I am guessing the miles are up there. Probably should replace the axle seal (sits in the transaxle). Hate to go through all the work to have a seal leak.

2) Your transaxle should take 1.5 qts of trans fluid (through mid '04 was 2 quarts but '06 should be 1.5 quarts).

3) I use Redline MTL for fluid. It is a bit more expensive but works extremely well.

4) There are always torque specs to pay attention to...axle nut comes to mind . Don't have them off hand but a good manual or online search should find what you need.

Hope this helps