R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What android phone to use. Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What android phone to use. Help

Hi i would just like to ask before buying an android phone for the car (for the obd2 blueotooth). What android phone are you guys using? i'll be buying one just for the car (my iphone will be the "phone" thta i will be using). i borrowed my friend's samsung galaxy (if im not mistaken) and the screen freezes if i'm using it for like 30 mins or if i'm done in driving when i'm getting out the car the phone crashes or sometimes it has a mind of its own.

Let me know

PS if there are any android thingy that is not a phone i'm open to that as well so basically, i will just use this soley on the car

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoopy
Hi i would just like to ask before buying an android phone for the car (for the obd2 blueotooth). What android phone are you guys using? i'll be buying one just for the car (my iphone will be the "phone" thta i will be using). i borrowed my friend's samsung galaxy (if im not mistaken) and the screen freezes if i'm using it for like 30 mins or if i'm done in driving when i'm getting out the car the phone crashes or sometimes it has a mind of its own.

Let me know

PS if there are any android thingy that is not a phone i'm open to that as well so basically, i will just use this soley on the car
I just got my 2008 MCS last week and got a CEL during cold weather. I am not close to a mini dealer so I looked into buying a code reader. I have an iPhone as well and I always have my phone with me so I figured I would see what I could get with it. I bought the KiWi WiFi adaptor on Amazon for about $150 and the app REV for my iPhone another $40. I was able to reset the CEL with the app and now I have a way to display some cool gauge info like Boost PSI and a bunch of other things. I did have an issue with my first adaptor stopped connecting to my phone and it was replaced.

If you want something other then your phone for this you could get and iPod Touch, or if you want a droid you could even use the Kindle Fire that runs the android OS. I figure if you have the phone and it will be with you why get another device?

This picture is showing what it looks like mounted at night.

Last edited by TSur; 01-19-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added a photo
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
wow i like it i think i bought the eml527 or something in ebay and it was just 6 dollars. However, i have to use an android phone because the iphone doesn't work there (unless ill buy the wifi etc) the reason why i don't like to use my iphone is because the battery drains fast. In addition, i will leave it in the car so i don't want to remove the phone and put back the phone (like the gps where you just leave it there and call it a day )

what mount did you use for that? i have an itouch but i'm using it for my music and i dont want any wires hanging in my dashboard I'm using the application torque in my friend's phone and they can also scan and reset some codes if i'm not mistaken. i also tried that in our honda cars and it worked. does the rev app also have the timing data for say 0-100, or quarter mile etc.? thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
I have only had my MCS for 8 days now and 5 of them have been < 30 deg. so I haven't gotten everything mounted yet with hidden wires. I am still waiting for a couple other things to get delivered.

More info on the app is here http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/
It does do data logging and GPS tracking, but I haven't played with it that much.

I have it mounted with the "W" bracket and the "Universal Scissor" mount so I could use my phone with a case. http://www.cravenspeed.com/a-la-carte/
This system does cost a lot, but it looks great and I didn't want a cheap looking mount... Also I plan on adding a V1 radar remote display on the other side of the tac so this gave me a good way to do that as well.

When it warms up a bit and I get the rest of the stuff on order I will take some pictures of the install.

I tend to listen to pandora on my phone the most and sometimes use the GPS. With the phone mounted where it is I don't need to take it out of the mount. However, I wish my cooper had bluetooth and worked with the steering wheel. That would make things even easier with this setup.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
I posted a couple photos in the day time and a very quick video. It was snowing today...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tor-slick.html

Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
When you are using the rev app in your itouch can u still use ur music ? Nice pics

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by scoopy
When you are using the rev app in your itouch can u still use ur music ? Nice pics
It depends on if your iPod Touch is new enough to support multitasking or not. The one I have does not. However my iPhone 4 I can use REV and play music no problem. If you can install iOS 5+ on your iPod Touch you should be good to go.

You can also just try it yourself. There is a REV Lite app that is free. You can always download it without getting the wifi adaptor and just see if music plays while the app is open.

Last edited by TSur; 01-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
Edit, I didn't have any music on my iPod (I am an app developer and it is really only used for testing.) I put some songs on it and as long as you are playing from the MUSIC app that comes with iPod and not Pandora or another external app you can use the REV and play music at the same time.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:28 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
ok i will do that it's nice what's the w bracket? haha would you know what bracket for gen1 model?

Last edited by scoopy; 01-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
oh i saw the w bracket in your thread nice

Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
The W bracket lets you mount things on both sides. You could go with a different one if you only wanted to mount on one side.