R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 My RMW experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:56 PM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
My RMW experience

The start.

A little background
I lost the motor in the wifes MINI in Feb. of this year. So instead of just going with a stock motor, it was fully built by RWM.

Let me start by saying this. I didnt want to go to Jan (RMW) because of the misinformation on the place. Every thread I open its talking bad about him and his company and sometimes even Colin. Before you make you write somebody off you should pick up the phone and call them like I did.

So onto my experience with RMW. I called Jan for the first time, and could tell that he was busy but he took the time to talk to me about prices and building a motor and other options for the MINI. Talked to him for I think 45 mins. No money was exchanged and he still took the time to talk to me. Got some prices and some things to think about.

Called him back about a week later and told him it was a go. Sent him some money for the motor so he would start on it. I work in the oilfield and work a crazy amount of time, so told him it would take about two weeks to get the car there. He said no problem.

So time comes to take the car down to Cali from Utah. Ran into some problem and issues and traffic and weather, a 3pm arrival turned into a 7pm arrival. Called Jan to let him know. Not a problem Shanne he says. We will be here waiting for you, be safe and get here when you can. So we get there Colin and Jan push the car off and into the shop. Came back out and talked to my wife and me like we were old friends. Took us for a ride in a Rotrex car that he had there. That was a blast. Him and Colin Stayed till about 930ish talking to us. So we head back home and wait for the car to be finished.

Jan calls me asking about different things I might want to do or not do, during the next week, never pressures me into anything. Tons of picture messages with the build progress. Gets the car finished and detailed ready for delivery. The wife is in school and I was at work, so couldn't pick it up for about a week or so after it was done. Let Jan know again no problem he tells me he will put it under a cover and it will be ready to go when we come get it.

So the wife gets a chance to go, I call Jan to ask what address she needs to go to get the car, and he tell me not to worry about it when does her flight land he will pick her up from the airport. So he picks her up and shows her how to drive with the new flywheel and clutch and sends her on her way.

She drives 500 miles home not a hickup. WAY BETTER gas mileage and way more power. I get home that night from work and take it on a test drive...different car that was for sure. Not as fast as the EVO but it moved.

Jan text me three times reminding me to change the oil. Just wanted to make sure that I changed it and got the old oil out.

What was done
Full RMW motor, Head and cam
Clutch
Supercharger
OS Giken LSD
OEM stuff that needed replaced
Pulley
Tune
Street header

Car made 260HP through the stock exhaust and intercooler.

NOW.

We have put 15K miles on it, Its a daily driver for the wife, so anybody that thinks his head isnt a street head or any of his parts aren't street parts are WAY wrong. The big valve head loses TQ and all the nonsense isnt true. The wife hates my evo for that reason. It has zero lowend. She loves her MINI. So that should tell you something there.

It has also been put through its paces with me. Lots of WOT canyon runs. Still not a single Issue.

The engine burns ZERO oil. Gets way better MPG, has a ton more power and is just awesome.

Jans customer service is awesome. I could call him today and he would talk to me for a hour. If I had any problem with the car Jan would make room for me to bring it in even the same day. His parts perform that is proven. 260hp on 91oct with a stock charger.

The amount of misinformation on this place is sicking. I have never had one complaint about him or his service or his parts not ONE. Pick up the phone and call him before you listen to all the hogwash on this place. Im glad I didnt. Was it cheap? No. Is it the best for the MINI? I think so.

Shanne

Last edited by llabmik2; 07-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Mr Silverblood
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed Shane. I told Jan this before, but of all the aftermarket parts I have installed in my Mini, I'm most proud of everything that's RMW.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Silverblood
Agreed Shane. I told Jan this before, but of all the aftermarket parts I have installed in my Mini, I'm most proud of everything that's RMW.
Just sad because all these new members that want more power see all then negative things about RMW, it makes them what to go somewhere else. Not knowing for the most part they are wasting money on parts that dont do the job to the highest amount of power.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
hexon
2nd Gear
I'm assuming your thread is in reference to this thread, which is no locked on the OP's request: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ike-it-is.html

Last edited by hexon; 07-27-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Edited because I suck at grammar
Old 07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hexon
I'm assuming you're OP is in reference to this thread, which is no locked on the OP's request: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ike-it-is.html
Nope.

My OP is just a review on a product. It has nothing to do with that post. It does have to do a lot with the amount of stuff on here that is just plain wrong about RMW.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That was a good read. People who read every post end to end will learn a lot.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep got to say my experience with RMW and Jan have been the same! Great tunes, great parts, great service and someone that always has taken time to answer my questions or lend a hand even when it didn't apply to his products!

Revolution Mini Works is #1.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 PM
llabmik2
3rd Gear
^ That is exactly how I feel.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
hbSean
2nd Gear
Good to hear

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM
MINI33342
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Just to add a bit of balance to this thread........

There is good and bad about EVERY vendor around. The key is to ask questions and have a clear understanding about what is expected from both parties.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Jan, RMW, Revolution Mini Works is no longer a member on the site. Discussion of banned users is prohibited. Thread Closed.
POLITICS & BANNING
Discussions related to politics and banning are not permitted. Comments or questions regarding banning should be sent in through the Contact Us link found in the Main Menu block.

Last edited by Motor On; 07-27-2011 at 05:40 PM.