R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 My RMW experiences... telling it like it is...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My RMW experiences... telling it like it is...

Like many of you, I like to mod my car sometimes past the point of no return...

My first dealing with Jan at RMW was back in 2008 when I bought traded in my 1st generation convertible and bought an ’08 Cooper S.

Jan did a tune on it and I was happy. I had to go to Jan because Mini had not released a JCW Stage I kit for the automatics. (yeah, I bought an automatic... very fun car still)

Over the next year, I had several retunes done and was happy with all of them.

Then in ’09 I bought my JCW. After getting tired of waiting for a tuning party, I decided to drive from NC to KY to have Jan tune my car. (7 hours ONE WAY)

A few mods later and several months later, I drove from NC to Orlando to get another tune. (another 8-9 hours ONE WAY)

When Jan came out with the Dimsport tuner, I went out of my way to help promote his new product, keeping track of who wants, who paid, the list went on and on. I tried my best to be a supportive customer and have written numerous threads trying to promote his product and services.

I never once asked for anything in return, no special favors but I would get beta files to test to give him opinions.

Everything was cool until I wrecked my mini last year. When I got the car back together, it wasn’t but a few months when the powersteering unit started to smolder and almost catch fire.

I had everything replaced and the dealer installed a new firmware to help remove torque steer... that changed the version of the software and my maps were now useless. Jan sent me a new map but forgot to change my shift point from 6500 to 7000 rpms.

It took 2 months of asking if he would fix that problem. Two months later, I finally got a new map but for some reason, I kept getting a CEL for the catalytic converter. (which in 28K miles, I had never had before)

I spent the next 3-4 months asking Jan to remove the light for me. I didn’t think it was a big deal but as usual, I was dismissed and kicked to the curb. I kept making excuses for Jan telling myself and everyone he’s just slammed and is busy.

After begging for a fix for all those months, I finally made a post asking who else did tuning on R56’s.

I was hoping that Jan would come forward and step up to the plate to fix my problem... unfortunately, that didn’t happen and I was forced to look elsewhere.

Several tuners stepped up to the plate and looked into it.... in order for them to look into it, I had to send them Jan’s tune.

After being still unsuccessful, I contacted Jan via text and asked again if he would help me again. The only answer I received was that he couldn’t understand why I sent his file to someone else. (like they didn’t already have a copy of his tune nor he have theirs... )

REALLY??? Jan ditched me for almost 6 months and left me with no recourse and he couldn’t understand why I would seek help outside of him?

So here I am, 6 months later and I have a tune with a CEL on it. I contacted several dimsport tuners and apparently Jan has put an encrypted lock on the file so I guess I’m screwed out the whole thing.

My suggestion is if you want a tune that runs great, get Jan’s tune but if you want customer service, look elsewhere...

Apparently the reason RMW no longer sells the AP tune is because of a lot of copying and pasting that was supposedly going on and RMW had their license pulled. (at least this is what I was told from someone that works for Cobb)

For the last month or so, I went back to the Alta tune and though it’s not as aggressive as Jan’s tune, at least I know I can get help when I need it and not have to worry about CEL’s or crappy customer service.

It’s actually kind of funny... I’ve received over a dozen PM’s from fellow NAM’ers who have had similar experiences with RMW. You’d think that a small company like that would remember who pays their bills. Oh well, live and learn.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 07-09-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Silver253
2nd Gear
this deffinately makes me want to look else where for a tune. thanks for sharing your experience! best of luck!

not to hijack your thread anyone have comments/experience with WMW tuning?

Old 07-09-2011, 03:43 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good information to have!!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:50 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Silver253
this deffinately makes me want to look else where for a tune. thanks for sharing your experience! best of luck!

not to hijack your thread anyone have comments/experience with WMW tuning?
Jan is a nice guy but his customer service absolutely sucks. There are a few that have their head so far up his ***, if he sneezed, he’d break their necks and those select few can get help when they need it but for the most part, once a customer needs help, get ready to get blown off. If you do a search, you’ll find many people with the same problem.

It literally would have taken Jan less than an hour or so of his time to remove a CEL but instead, I now have a useless tune with a stupid box that I may as well use as a door stop.

I hadn’t used Way’s tuning yet. I know Way knows what he’s talking about but as of now, I went back to my Alta tune. I can call Jeff at Alta with a question or problem and usually within the hour, I have the problem rectified.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 07-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Hobiek
1st Gear
I had Way tune my 2007 MCS about a month ago and the Mini is definitely more fun to drive and the changes were very noticeable. I also drive an auto or as some would call it a sludge box. He has several different tuning options available depending on what you're looking for or how heavily your Mini is modded. He gave me the most common/popular tune he does. My Mini is not heavily modded, so it was probably the best option for me.

He did mention that I would not need to have my Mini tuned again until I was done modding it and the computer is pretty adaptive as I continue to mod my Mini it should adjust to them. The only mods I've done so far have been his tune, Forge blow off valve, engine bushing upgrade, rear sway bar and TSW springs and very happy with all his recommendations.

Way's DP will be my final mod and then he'll tune it again. By then I'll have a new exhaust, new plugs and wires, JCW intake, FMIC and piping for the motor. I might do some engine work, but I'll talk to Way and get his recommendations before the final tune.

And it doesn't hurt that he's 10 minutes from my house either ...

Way is a very honest and helpful and he'll answer the phone most of time when you call his shop.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:17 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hobiek
I had Way tune my 2007 MCS about a month ago and the Mini is definitely more fun to drive and the changes were very noticeable. I also drive an auto or as some would call it a sludge box. He has several different tuning options available depending on what you're looking for or how heavily your Mini is modded. He gave me the most common/popular tune he does. My Mini is not heavily modded, so it was probably the best option for me.

He did mention that I would not need to have my Mini tuned again until I was done modding it and the computer is pretty adaptive as I continue to mod my Mini it should adjust to them. The only mods I've done so far have been his tune, Forge blow off valve, engine bushing upgrade, rear sway bar and TSW springs and very happy with all his recommendations.

Way's DP will be my final mod and then he'll tune it again. By then I'll have a new exhaust, new plugs and wires, JCW intake, FMIC and piping for the motor. I might do some engine work, but I'll talk to Way and get his recommendations before the final tune.

And it doesn't hurt that he's 10 minutes from my house either ...

Way is a very honest and helpful and he'll answer the phone most of time when you call his shop.
X2... Way is definitely very helpful and knowledgeable. I’ve never used his tunes but wouldn’t hesitate for a second to use it.

Mark

Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I have been following your posts on all this from the start. Back with your first RMW tuning session. Then next thing I knew you were testing his software on the track. I knew little about all the aspects of his work at that time as it was difficult to find non-pro RMW posts, so I followed your posts closely as you seemed to be more objective than most.

I was finally able to meet Jan in CT this year and wanted to do so before forming my own opinion regarding his work and work ethics......that said I am not really surprised by this most recent posting. From the lack of concern he demonstrated, I get a sense it was more about someone else finding out who's software tweaks he was using as apposed to giving up any "secret" voo-doo. And I would suspect, most of us would have done the same thing as you did, and probably sooner in some cases. So don't worry about that. You were patient and did the right thing.

I so looked forward to reading all those posts of yours as your energy and enthusiasm made it fun for all of us. And I hoped, as most did. That after your trip to MOD this year, these bugs would have been worked out.

Just wish it all had a happier ending than this. I would have been happier to be proven wrong.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Thanks bud, I appreciate it. I’m not sure why but I receive tons of PM’s from people asking my opinion on something. Like I said, I don’t know why, they just do... perhaps it’s because I tell it like it is.... thus the stories that I tell.

I have no reason to badmouth Jan (and I won’t) I’m just disappointed with his customer service. It’s people like me who repeatedly pay for dyno time that put the food on his table and I ask for nothing more than for someone to fix their own product.

When I went to MOTD, I talked to Jan and he didn’t have the ***** to say anything there... he just smiled, gave me some small pleasantry talk and didn’t offer anything... Even his helper came up to me and apologized for the way my situation was handled and offered help if he could.

It wasn’t until I texted Jan a few weeks later that he finally said what was on his mind... he just couldn’t believe I had given his file to someone else to look at. I thought he was a little naive thinking that Cobb and other companies haven’t already dissected his tune.

Anyway, I was just telling it like it is...

Mark

Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
Can you only tune "S" models?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:19 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YELLOWMINIAZ
Can you only tune "S" models?
No, but the effects from tuning a non S are obviously minimal... (no offense to non S owners)

Mark

Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear

Last edited by YELLOWMINIAZ; 07-09-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Mark you've always been a complete straigh-shooter. No BS when it comes to Oscar and what works and what doesn't. Its for that reason that I, and many others, value and trust your opinion. Because of that I find Jan's customer service, or lack of, so surprising. He knows that giving you (and others) crappy service is not going to go unnoticed. I think he's got a management problem. Either he's too busy, yet not willing to trust anybody except himself to do the tunes and software patches, or he's gotten so popular that he's forgotten the customers who made him so. I know the email inquiries I sent him never got responded to. If I'm ever looking for another tune for my MINI it won't be from RMW.

Motor on Mark & Oscar!

Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rixter
Mark you've always been a complete straigh-shooter. No BS when it comes to Oscar and what works and what doesn't. Its for that reason that I, and many others, value and trust your opinion. Because of that I find Jan's customer service, or lack of, so surprising. He knows that giving you (and others) crappy service is not going to go unnoticed. I think he's got a management problem. Either he's too busy, yet not willing to trust anybody except himself to do the tunes and software patches, or he's gotten so popular that he's forgotten the customers who made him so. I know the email inquiries I sent him never got responded to. If I'm ever looking for another tune for my MINI it won't be from RMW.

Motor on Mark & Oscar!
Thanks bud, I appreciate it and I agree... he’s apparently too busy to take care of the customers that supported him.

I hope other people take heed and check all their options before relying on support from RMW.

Mark

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow I can't believe I almost got a tune from him and this is what I could have gone through with him if I had a problem. Granted I was looking at him tuning my MINI almost 2 years ago but, I got in a fender bender and he was unable to tune it. I want a tune and the fact that he has been able to tune out a CEL with an aftermarket DP is very enticing. I am just not sure if I could handle being ignored or blown off in a subject that I am not very knowledgable in.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jan sounds kinda like a guy who has figured out a way to shoot himself in the foot, and is now aiming at the other one.
Word will spread, and he will wonder where the customer has gone.
His loss will be Alta's gain. It's called "Customer Service"
Wise up lad before it's too late.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:36 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush

.After being still unsuccessful, I contacted Jan via text and asked again if he would help me again. The only answer I received was that he couldn’t understand why I sent his file to someone else. (like they didn’t already have a copy of his tune nor he have theirs... ) .........

It’s actually kind of funny... I’ve received over a dozen PM’s from fellow NAM’ers who have had similar experiences with RMW. .....

Mark
As I'm sure you know, it's not actually "funny". It's unfortunate .

My first hand experience with RMW was when I was building my race Mini. I was approach by a friend, at that time, that Jan was interested in talking with me about using his parts and whatnot. I told this friend, "no way", and within a few months Jan started writing all sorts of crap about me and my race car build on a certain Mini forum that allowed any and all vial slander to be posted. THIS is how Jan handled those who dared say anything against him.

My second experience, that I can say I was actually part of, (as I could share many that I was not physically part of) was a friend who contracted Jan to build him a motor for his track Mini. I knew nothing of this until I saw my friend at the track on day and he told me that RMW was building him a motor. He was excited, but he must have just seen it in my face and he said "what? Something I should know about?" I just said, "well, good luck with that, hope you used a credit card." To shorten the story, the motor blew up withing the first few warm up laps. They called Jan and were somewhat blown off as if it was their fault, but Jan said to send the motor back and he would get back to them. Well, he never did. They called him over and over again but never heard back. My friend had go to his credit card company and have them make a claim against RMW, which they did, and within 30 days he had his money back, FROM the credit card company, not RMW. All in all my friend missed out on a full season of tracking, which is very important to his own business.
I remember when Jan got this contract for this motor, he had one of his fans post here on NAM that a "Big name" guy here just ordered an RMW motor (as my friend is a big name here in this area). Interesting how it didn't work out and was never followed up.
I've known about Jan close to eight years. I have known the dozens of tuners, vendors, shops, manufacturers, and people of the strongest professional values that he has walked all over. Jan's tuning knowlage came from copying maps of others, which is why he is SO paranoid about people doing the same to him. Not only does he do these things, he will hang over their heads that if they speak up that he will slander the heck out of them.
Look, how many other tuners here work with Jan? None. I know most of them, race shops, tuners, motor guys, turbo guys, supercharger guys, and we ALL get along and "that'a boy" each other when they do well. Jan is not part of that

Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I just received an email from a guy and his signature said...

"Excellent service isnt what you believe, it's what Your customers perceive. And then what they tell others.”

Ironically, it showed up today after this discussion.... lol.

Mark

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
YELLOWMINIAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I just received an email from a guy and his signature said...

"Excellent service isnt what you believe, it's what Your customers perceive. And then what they tell others.”

Ironically, it showed up today after this discussion.... lol.

Mark
That needs to be every business signature!!

Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Achilless
4th Gear
This is surprising coming from you Mark, since you were always advertising RMW and spreading word of how great of a tune. For you to switch to Alta and lose some of the guts RMW's tune had, you must have been upset. I am sorry to hear this, its a pity that you cant get customer service and the best tune out there together. I guess its a matter of choice. My pick now would be Waymotorworks and then Alta... curious to see what Jan has to say about all of this

Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
I have been considering either going the Alta or RMW route myself. Well, RMW is OUT! Thanks for the imput. Sounds like he is digging his own grave. I don't understand people. If u want your business to succeed you treat people with courtesy, respect, back up your product, be prompt and good things will happen. Sounds like he is either cocky or stupid, or just plain missing the boat. But, I can say I have had many of my supercharged mustangs dynotuned before and most of those guys had no people skills, no personalities, and just were plain weird. They just did better working by themselves with the car and the computer. sounds a little like that here, but I have never met Jan, and never will. If it is being talked about it is obviously an issue.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilless
This is surprising coming from you Mark, since you were always advertising RMW and spreading word of how great of a tune. For you to switch to Alta and lose some of the guts RMW's tune had, you must have been upset. I am sorry to hear this, its a pity that you cant get customer service and the best tune out there together. I guess its a matter of choice. My pick now would be Waymotorworks and then Alta... curious to see what Jan has to say about all of this
I hate to say this but he doesn’t care... Jan’s busy, he has other people coming to him and eventually this thread will get buried and be forgotten and it’ll be business as usual.

He could have very easily spent less than an hour of his time (who am I kidding, it doesn’t take that long to copy and paste...) removing a CEL. He has no business savvy, if I was him, I would have fixed it even after this thread came on and everyone would have said, “well, at least he did the right thing”

Instead, he won’t do anything and there’s already half a dozen people that won’t get his tune because of his worthless customer service.

As Maugre pointed out, he’s the type of guy that would rather shoot himself in the foot.

Oh well, live and learn....

Old 07-13-2011, 06:05 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark, what the problem is here is that out of all the people who PMed you about having the same issues, YOU are the only one that is posting here. This has always been the problem. Don't EVER think that posting a thread like this will get Jan to step up and take care of business, no matter what you believe is the right or wrong way for him to do so. You are just another example of someone who dares post a non flattering post about RMW and will be ignored. It's easier for Jan to tell his customers in "private" that it was "you" that was the problem. Again, I know first hand that this is what he has done with others. The fact that my friend who bought that motor from him had included me in the inspection of it's demise freaked Jan out. Jan called him and told him so, and laid the threat down to him that if anything was posted publicly that he would offer no help what so ever. Fact is he never did anyway.

Unfortunately what it has become is that most "true professionals" just don't want to bother, don't want to get into an ugly war here. It's the "professionals" that have been in this business for most of their working carers, who have trained and studied in this field of tuning and engine building that for the most part have just decided to turn away and leave NAM rather then stay here and be slammed by RMW.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious - why would you want to shift at 7k rpm? The car is well past its power/torque peaks by then, no? Or are they moved that far up by the tune?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Mark, what the problem is here is that out of all the people who PMed you about having the same issues, YOU are the only one that is posting here. This has always been the problem. Don't EVER think that posting a thread like this will get Jan to step up and take care of business,
Oh, I agree... though it would have been nice or the right thing for him to do, I didn't think for a second that making this thread was going to fix anything. I was just tired of getting jerked around and never wanting to say anything for fear that I may not be able to have him fix something later.

Obviously at this point, it doesn't matter. He doesn't feel any courtesy, respect or obligation so why would it start now?

Unfortunately what it has become is that most "true professionals" just don't want to bother, don't want to get into an ugly war here. It's the "professionals" that have been in this business for most of their working carers, who have trained and studied in this field of tuning and engine building that for the most part have just decided to turn away and leave NAM rather then stay here and be slammed by RMW.
Unfortunate but true...

Originally Posted by KevinC
Just curious - why would you want to shift at 7k rpm? The car is well past its power/torque peaks by then, no? Or are they moved that far up by the tune?
Obviously as a tune gets more and more aggressive, (within reason) the engine makes more power and the powerband may be expanded a bit.

Having said that, your theory is still right, the car does not make power at the 7K mark...

The reason I want to shift at 7K rpms is simple... coming out of the turn at Oak Tree at VIR for example, I may be in 2nd gear. As I exit the turn and step on the gas, I'm already bouncing off the rev limiter (set at 6500), the extra 500 rpms allows me to push through the turn and get straightened out before having to shift into 3rd.

Mark

Last edited by orangecrush; 07-13-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
tq has dropped off by then. HP climbs till around 6000 and starts to drop off. However the point isn't for the power, its for the track. When you come into corners, your goal is to keep momentum, and being able to have 7k revs going into the corner avoids needing the shift when powering out on the exit. If you need to shift, either up or down while in transition, momentum is thrown off and its harder for the car to carry speed/accelerate out of the corner.

Quick Reply: R56 My RMW experiences... telling it like it is...