R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 LACK of SPARE IN MCS

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:09 PM
MNESIAC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering if anybody worries too much about
taking lengthy trips in their MCS since you can't readily
change your tire?

Has anyone run into any trouble b/c of this since owning?

Matt

Old 09-05-2003, 01:20 PM
C4
Banned
That is a very valid concern that crossed my mind when deciding to go for the MCS. Not having a spare could be a problem in isolated or remote areas or in places where runflat tire servicing equipment is not readily available.

Fortunately, the stock runflats in case of puncture still allow you to drive another 50-80 miles which should be enough distance to find a tire repair facility. However if you are driving in the desert or places like Montana, Wyoming, Utah or Nevada..well that's another story.

Many current MCS owners have ditched the runflats and put in their place regular radial tires. They either carry a small doughnut spare tire in the boot (Obviously taking all of the available cargo space in the trunk) or carrying with them a can of "Fix-a-Flat" a cellular phone and the MINI 24 hour roadside assistance card.

Buying a Cooper S is a compromise specially when it comes to the lack of a spare tire. The Standard Cooper model when equipped with 16" factory runflats still comes with a small spare tire, because there is space right under the boot, not so in the MCS (As the battery and exaust take the space of the spare tire cavity).

I would say that if you have to do a lot of driving in remote areas, I would carry a small spare tire in the boot, just in case. Otherwise your choices are to trust the runflat technology or get regular tires and carry a can of Fix-a-flat and a phone.

We have a '02 Cooper CVT with regular (Non-runflat) 15" Continental factory tires and a spare and for now we have decided to use it for long roadtrips and leave the new '04 MCS for mostly city driving and mid-range road trips...however that tentative arragement may change

In the city I would not worry about not having a spare in the MCS. Just get familarized with tire shops in your immediate area of daily commuting that work and have special equipment to service and mount runflat rubber.

You should be OK otherwise.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It hasn't bothered me, and I took a 2600 mile not long after getting my car. The runflats that come with the car will help you get off the road and to a service station, and for minor emergency repairs you can use a can of 'fix a flat'. The compact spare that comes with standard Coopers is not meant for long distance usage anyway.

If you are concerned, you can carry a can of tire inflator/repair with you, or for slow leaks you can get a small compressor.

It's been years since I had a flat. I might have jinxed myself there, though.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:31 PM
MNESIAC
1st Gear
Thanks for info.

Are the runflats standard on the MCS or do they only come
as part of a package? I can't remember if I've got them coming
on mine or not - all I ordered was the Prem PKG.

Either way, I'm not TOO concerned about it. I've got a cell and
I won't be travelling anywhere remote (unless I'm carjacked )
Tampa to Chicago and back is the route I'll be wearing out this winter...

M

Old 09-05-2003, 01:33 PM
C4
Banned
>>Thanks for info.
>>
>>Are the runflats standard on the MCS or do they only come
>>as part of a package? I can't remember if I've got them coming
>>on mine or not - all I ordered was the Prem PKG.
>>
>>Either way, I'm not TOO concerned about it. I've got a cell and
>>I won't be travelling anywhere remote (unless I'm carjacked )
>>Tampa to Chicago and back is the route I'll be wearing out this winter...
>>
>>M

16" runflat tires are standard equipment on all Cooper S models. 15" Continental ECOPLUS non-runflat tires are standard equipment on the standard Cooper model.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:08 PM
RaceCarDriver
3rd Gear
>>I was just wondering if anybody worries too much about
>>taking lengthy trips in their MCS since you can't readily
>>change your tire?
>>
>>Has anyone run into any trouble b/c of this since owning?
>>
>>Matt

Run Flat tires are handle terrible compared to non run flats, but the way I see it, if you are going to really drive your Mini hard (i.e. take it to the track) you're going to use race tires anyway.

I am VERY GLAD that the MCS comes with run flats. I used to own a 95 vette equiped with Good Year EMT's (run flats) One time I was driving on the NJ Turnpike going to play hockey (playoff game) it was about 10pm at night and I ran something over in the road. I heard a loud popping noise coming from the tire. My warning light came on and I continued to the hockey rink. It I didn't have the run flats I would have to pull over and change the tire, which wouldn't be easy at night and especially with all the cars traveling at high speeds on the NJ Turnpike. Worse case senatrio since I was traveling at about 70 mph when it happened, I could have had a blow out and lost control and possibly crashed.

When I got to the rink I looked at my front tire and there was a huge gash in it. I couldn't believe the tire was still hard. Thank God for run flats. I played in my game and then drove 100 miles home on the run flat tire. The next day I dropped off the car at the local Good Year dealer and they replaced it. The tire also had a warranty on it from good year so I onl;y ahd to pay for a portion of it.

I am GLAD the MCS has run flats. The two cars I currently own, a 2002 Corvette Z06 and 2003 BMW M3 (just stolen) don't have spare tires and don't have run flats. If I get a spare tire, I'm screwed.I routinely drive about 800miles per week between work, hockey and taking the cars to the track. I drive from to New Jersey to P.A. to Virginia all the time.

I think run flat tires are a good thing. Yes, having is spare is probably the best solution but I'm happy with the run flats that my new MCS will have.

RaceCarDriver

Old 09-05-2003, 03:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I was just wondering if anybody worries too much about
>>taking lengthy trips in their MCS since you can't readily
>>change your tire?
>>
>>Has anyone run into any trouble b/c of this since owning?

The stock runflats 17" on my MCS with sports package are OK but harsh riding.
No problem with no spare in my area not driving too far less than 50 miles each way and I have the MINI support and AAA towing and cell phone.
I switched to non runflats the the ride is much better and it is still OK. No problems or concerns.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:15 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
I have 300 miles free tow with our AAA membership, and I'm rarely EVER more than 300 miles away from home so if I ever get a flat and am more than a few miles from home I'll probably request a flatbed. For long distance driving, you might want to buy a full size wheel with spare and lay it on the roof and anchor it down with some straps (ala monte carlo rally, circal 1960s).

Old 09-05-2003, 03:21 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't bother me too much... I just finished a 10,039 mile road trip cross country. Even if you're in Middle of Nowhere, MT, you're generally within 100 miles of a gas station. And where there is a podunk gas station, there is a tow truck.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:31 PM
5280Motoring
5th Gear
There is a stretch of I-70 through Utah where you go about 110 miles between exits that have services. It's the most remote I've been in the car. So even in the dead center of that section, I should have been able to make it up to help. Still a spare would be kinda nice to have on a road trip.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:53 PM
boognish
4th Gear
If you're that worried, which is valid if you're going on long trips, you can always carry an extra tire (on the rim, of course) with you in the car. On our last long roadtrip, we put the back seats down and were able to hold a full-size spare, two medium size suitcases, two smaller overnight bags, and a bunch of other stuff (snacks and CDs and what not). It's not that I was worried about the possibility of driving on a punctured run-flat, it's just that I figure it's quicker and more convenient (plus peace of mind) to just change the tire with a new one...and then get the runflat repaired (or replaced) when the trip is over... makes sense, no?

So yea, I wouldn't drive around with a fullsize spare in the back of the MINI everytime I drive it, but it's not out of the question for looooong road trips.

Rock on,

Joe

Oh yea, and I know I'm gonna get flack...but be sure to secure the fullsize spare from moving about, in case of an accident, it could become a projectile in your car. But that can be said for anything (suitcases, CD cases, whatever) that is not "tied" down in your car... including YOURSELF :smile: so always wear your seatbelt! always!

Old 09-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
I, too, carry a full sized spare in the back whenever I go out of town. Someone mentioned that a full sized rim and tire would fit behind the rear seat, but that would take your cargo room....what little there is back there. Since I never have more than 2 people in my car, I don't have a problem folding the back seats and throwing the tire on a mat. I use 2 heavy bungees to tied it in the the rear tiedowns behind the seat.

Old 09-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
We were all at a friends after work and after drinking a few the men started talking about "dream options" and they said how cool it would be to have a computer sensor tell you when the tires are low in air like the oil and temp gages do... well, when I said my MINI comes with it - they all went nuts! Just couldn't believe it had already been invented and in use! They said that with that feature and run flat tires that I shouldn't have any worries about tires. and if I do, I can call roadside assistance. I am very confident in the MINIs tires.

However, I'd read about the 17 " wheels stiff ride so I have not ordered the Sport Pack - on purpose - so I can have the 16" X-Lites and then I ordered all my options ala carte! and yes, I know that for like $70 more I can have $600 worth of 17" wheels but I said Thanks, but No Thanks! I

Old 09-05-2003, 09:59 PM
red03miniS
Banned
>>We were all at a friends after work and after drinking a few the men started talking about "dream options" and they said how cool it would be to have a computer sensor tell you when the tires are low in air like the oil and temp gages do... well, when I said my MINI comes with it - they all went nuts! Just couldn't believe it had already been invented and in use!

u need to hang out with some cooler people pebbles