R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 God gives teeth to those who have no jaw..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God gives teeth to those who have no jaw..

Picture hot fresh buttery salty popcorn just about to melt in your mouth and then... drop it all over the theatre floor!!!

Just drove the new R56 and WOW!!! What a difference from the first one I drove and all I can say is that I will NEVER buy a car from a dealer that does not let me test it by myself.. This thing FLYS!!

so whats the problem you ask? Simple... I hate that new instrument panel and that ridiculous radio that took me the entire test drive to figure how to go to FM That's fuggin stupid!! The climate control and panel in general felt very cheap and moved around quite a bit..

BUT... the R53 is way better looking.. saw them next to each other and I played the old game of looking at both and seeing if I could tell the difference. It was amazing how many details they changed!!

The hood no longer has such deep curves for the fenders for one.. Sheesh, thats like a gorgeous girl cutting off all her hair!!

The new one looks like a new beetle, especially the headlights..

As usual, there is never a clear choice.. If I go with a new one, i can order it the way I want and thats immensely enticing. The new turbo motor will seriously move.. and its new, never messed with and I can change the oil the way I WANT TO from the getgo!

If I go with an R53 then I will no doubt get forced into getting things I didn't want... color choice will be limited and its hard to find a low mileage R53

No I have no need for a convertible... but its somewhat of an option..

Discuss will ya?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:57 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini1966
If I go with an R53 then I will no doubt get forced into getting things I didn't want... color choice will be limited and its hard to find a low mileage R53
Well, depending on what options/colour you want, and what you consider "low mileage" to be, there may not be very many used R53s on the market that fit your needs, but you only need to find *one*.

If your needs can be met with a 2005 or 2006 R53 (as opposed to wanting some particular option/colour that was discontinued before then), I bet you can still find some low-mileage examples out there. There's certainly a good-enough chance that it's worth looking for a while.

Now, if you want some combination that wasn't available for very long (like Purple Haze with the Limited-Slip Differential), that's going to make it harder, but still worth a try.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:58 AM
jkling17
4th Gear
1916 - Get what blows YOUR hair back. If that's the 53, then so be it. I do like the styling slightly more of the 53 line, especially for the grill in the mcs. However, I wanted the latest technology, a really wonderful engine and transmission, more legroom, and no sunroof (I'm tall), so I custom ordered my 08 mcs. I may someday decide to put the old style grill in (but it needs a little MODding to make this work).

In any case, I really don't think that you should have all that much trouble finding a relatively low mileage 53, and there are definitely good deals out there on the 2005/2006 series. If you DO decide for a 53, I'd stick w/ a low mileage 2006 (warranty).

I assume that you want a 6-speed, but if you do want an auto, I'd get the 56 - awesome design - very smooth autotrans indeed.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to me the R56's interior is annoying enough for you to avoid the car in its entirety. You liked the turbocharged engine, but that appears to be the only positive for you about the current car.

I would suggest either making an effort to locate an used R53 more to your liking or get a new R52 MCS convertible with the Supercharged engine and the 1st generation styling that you like so much. If you can put up with a ragtop, then I would say, go and grab one before they go out of production at the end of this year.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
I love my cabrio (and, as you know, you can still order the R52 to your specs).
Having said that, if "you have no need for a convertible," don't get it. There are a lot of compromises that come with the cabrio (weight, cost, rattles, less rigidity, etc) which those of us who want a cabrio have embraced . . . but if you're not a cabrio person, those things will drive you nuts and you will regret your purchase within months.

It sounds to me that (based on how soon you need the car), your best route is ^
I would suggest either making an effort to locate an used R53 more to your liking
If you have time, look for the R53 in the color and options you want -- and then, if that fails, "settle for" the R56.
I didn't write this, but you could put a refundable deposit down on an R56 order now, then keep looking for an R53 you like -- if you find one, you don't take delivery of the R56-- if you don't, you have an R56 waiting for you.

Last edited by eager2own; 05-13-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 AM
call it spade
5th Gear
The new turbo motor will seriously move..

if you like the r53 more and you like the turbo... why not just add a turbo kit to the r53? I'm saving for mine!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
As usual, there is never a clear choice.
Sounds like a clear choice to me ...all that you preferred about the R56 was that it "flys". Well, the R53 flys too. The difference between the cars in that regard seems infinitesimal by all measured reports I have seen. Quoted zero to sixty time for the R56 is 6.7 seconds and 6.8 for the R53 ...that's not and improvement to get too excited about.

More importantly ...you can make an R53 go faster ...you can't make an R56 look better.

You'll be able to find a 2006 with low miles. My Mom put 2K a year on her car and after 15 years someone got an extremely low mileage car from her. There are folks out there not racking up the miles on their Coopers. You'll find one. Heck, I've only got 15K miles on mine (no, not for sale ).

Best of luck with the decision making process and the hunt.

Dean.

Last edited by reelsmith.; 05-13-2008 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
pmustang
4th Gear
For some strange reason I see TONS of convertibles for sale, it seems that 2 out of 3 minis for sale are convertibles. I have heard horror stories about the roofs damaging themselves and I can't imagine the car is as tossible (loss of body stiffness) with the roof cut off) I am a bit biased as I have owned 2 classic muscle convertibles and found them to be something to be seen in rather than be driving, Hot and sweaty are two words that come to mind.

I have also heard of the horrible engine noise problem of the later turbo cars and my good friend is suffering with it not, not something I wanted to worry about thus bought and 06 MCS with 13k miles. there are TONS of sub 15k mile cars around me, although I live in the UK, i can't imagine there are not some around by you.

Best of luck in your hunt, enjoy the hunt and you will find what you want, I only made one mistake, not getting the multi function steering wheel.

peter

Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
THe lure of the turbo was too much for me to resist -- I got my '07 MCS while I still owned my '04 MCS. I hate myself for selling the '04, and was convinced at first that I wouldn't be able to take the look/feel of the cab of the '07. I must admit, it's grown on me so much I don't give it a second thought (OK, I still want my '04 back....)

Both cars have their outstanding qualities (as you can see from all the debates on this site!), so it really boils down to what whim takes you at the final moment of purchase. If I hadn't stepped into the dealership on the spur of the moment and just snapped on ordering a turbo, I probably would still be on my first Mini.

Look around your area and this website for good deals on the older models -- just be careful about non-Mini dealerships. From some of the folks on this site, lots of folks have had bad experiences. Non-Mini dealerships don't always recognize (or care) an abused Mini - low milage or not.

Happy hunting!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Tried the turn indicators on the R56 yet?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
For some strange reason I see TONS of convertibles for sale, it seems that 2 out of 3 minis for sale are convertibles.
Well, on the NAM marketplace, it looks like 3 or 4 out of the first 25-30 MINIs listed are cabrios (considering that in 05 and 06 cabrio sales were about 20% of all MINIs -- 10% in the marketplace does not reflect a lot of turnover . . . although it may increase at the end of the year as people opt to "trade up" for the R57 coming in early '09).

I can't imagine the car is as tossible (loss of body stiffness) with the roof cut off)
You do lose some rigidity, but not as much as you'd think. the cabrio does have additional bracing, and other aftermarket fixes like the M7 USS help.
BUT, as I noted above, i certainly wouldn't recommend a cabrio to someone who isn't seeking to get one but would "settle" for it

Old 05-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Tried the turn indicators on the R56 yet?

Yep. the entire test drive, they were a flashin' away! Kinda dumb to go against the grain for no obvious purpose!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Mini1966
3rd Gear
I like convertibles for about 10 minutes. Then they are either too cold, too hot, or my head hurts! Same thing for sunroofs.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Get a '06 JCW GP. Only 415 imported into the country, they are gaining value and it is a kick *** car all around. Fastest, lightest JCW MINI S from factory. It is a driver's car... no sunroof, no rear seat, no xenons, no nav, just you and the machine.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
the reason why R53 is better looking is very simple.

R56's design was dictated by safety regulations.

go to youtube and watch the R56 review by Fifth Gear.

I love my R53!!!!!!

Last edited by hoonpv; 05-13-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
revray
4th Gear
If you order a new MINI, you'll have to wait a while for it in any case. So if you are inclined to buy an older model, take your time looking and a good low mileage one will come along. There are beautiful cars with decent mileage that come for sale here on NAM all the time.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
I am selling my cabrio because I want to pay off my wife's R56 quicker and right now I dont need 3 vehicles. When i bought my Mini I was only getting it because I wanted a mini (didnt care that it was a conv) and the dealership gave me a great trade-in for my FJ Cruiser. The fact that its a convertible only makes me not want to sell it more. I never had a convertible before this Mini. My hairline has receeded far beyond my years (I am 35) and I have immensly enjoyed the top down I have experienced with my Mini. The HK system is great even with the top down. A simple Mini Hat covers up any sun that wants to scorch my head. I love Winnie...but I love paying a car off.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Thumbs up for a nice MINI!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
SPD, if you decide to sell that freak of yours, let me know and I'll pass on the info to my buddy who may be looking.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
dustinhxc
6th Gear
besides loving the r53 look feel and everything about it. i had to get one because i wanted the electric blue metallic : ) i didnt want tan interior, but oh well. ive only seen 3 other eb MINIs in a year! i see black, silver, red, dark blue, orange, purple, green, but never eb!!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
Try It! You'll Love it! Come to the Dark Side! Never a hard top again!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 AM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
Originally Posted by eager2own
SPD, if you decide to sell that freak of yours, let me know and I'll pass on the info to my buddy who may be looking.
it is for sale =) it is in the minis for sale section

Old 05-14-2008, 07:47 AM
J Marshall
2nd Gear
Just drove the new R56 and WOW!!! What a difference from the first one I drove and all I can say is that I will NEVER buy a car from a dealer that does not let me test it by myself.. This thing FLYS!!

so whats the problem you ask? Simple... I hate that new instrument panel and that ridiculous radio that took me the entire test drive to figure how to go to FM That's fuggin stupid!! The climate control and panel in general felt very cheap and moved around quite a bit..
That's why the salesperson wants to go with you on a test drive, so you don't bash a product because you're ignorant. If you let us do our job your car buying experience would be much better.