R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Will this be your LAST MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:55 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Anyone else have a sour taste in their mouth because of the lack of respect BMW has for us as a community of MINI enthusiasts?

I certainly do, and at this point, I'm thinking this will be my last MINI partially due to that.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:00 AM
VerucaSalt
Coordinator :: Mid-Atlantic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this might be my last MINI, but not because of this whole situation. I plan on keeping my MINI for a very long time, paying it off and then later getting a second car when I can afford it (that car being an S4).

But if I somehow was left completely carless before then (knock on wood ten times) yes I would get another MINI. Just because corporate is being a bunch of jerk-offs doesn't mean that I love my car any less.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:03 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
I feel the same way at this point Dave.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:03 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
Nope, at the end of the day it is a shame that this is happening. But MINI is protecting their brand name just like any other corporation would do. If they let MCO get away with it, they lose protection of their name and in the future they will not be able to hold up in court. (Well you let Minicooperonline use the name, so why can't I?) This is not new. Apple, Microsoft, Honda, ect... Thats how its works. Cancelled orders and mutilated cars over a website is taking it a bit too far. If I still like the MINI when I am in the market for a new car, Ill buy another.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 AM
jsun
6th Gear
That's a tough one to call at this point in time. While the current BMW-inspired crisis has me down, I have to say that I probably never really expected that I was buying from something all that different. I'd love to be proven wrong, but we'll see...

The bigger (and not altogether unrelated) issue which will determine whether I ever buy another MINI...or for that matter whether or not I recommend a MINI to anyone...is how the car holds up after warranty. I'm about 1/3 of the way through warranty. Will this car start to disintegrate after 50K miles? Jury's out on that now. Will the car be too expensive to repair after warranty? That doesn't look so good now, but may change in a couple of years. But particularly to that latter point, if BMW insists on keeping an iron fist on dealer/service networks AND keeps the number of cars sold to a virtual boutique number (i.e., 25K a year in the US), then I suspect that it will ALWAYS be expensive to own a MINI. That would be a killer problem for me.

Essentially, I am growing increasingly suspicious that MINI is not and was never intended to be a "real" car/brand. Rather, it was always considered a "teaser" to expand BMW's traditional customer base and lure new buyers who would eventually be turned to more expensive models. If that's the case, then yes, this will be my one-and-only MINI buying experience.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
For me, not at all.
Just because the corporation isn't friendly I have found the community of MINI owners to be a special group. It is worth the effort to be part of the MINI family- that is the bottom line for me.

If they stopped making MINIs would you make this your last MINI? Nope. Not by a long shot. The car is basically a blast to drive and you can't take that away. The fun factor is too great.

Life is too short. Motor on.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:06 AM
VerucaSalt
Well said, Anthony. :smile:

Old 08-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
No way. I was already using the new '04 configurator and trying to convince my wife that we could get by with two MINIs and ditch the JEEP altogether!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:10 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
>>That's a tough one to call at this point in time. While the current BMW-inspired crisis has me down, I have to say that I probably never really expected that I was buying from something all that different. I'd love to be proven wrong, but we'll see...
>>
>>The bigger (and not altogether unrelated) issue which will determine whether I ever buy another MINI...or for that matter whether or not I recommend a MINI to anyone...is how the car holds up after warranty. I'm about 1/3 of the way through warranty. Will this car start to disintegrate after 50K miles? Jury's out on that now. Will the car be too expensive to repair after warranty? That doesn't look so good now, but may change in a couple of years. But particularly to that latter point, if BMW insists on keeping an iron fist on dealer/service networks AND keeps the number of cars sold to a virtual boutique number (i.e., 25K a year in the US), then I suspect that it will ALWAYS be expensive to own a MINI. That would be a killer problem for me.
>>
>>Essentially, I am growing increasingly suspicious that MINI is not and was never intended to be a "real" car/brand. Rather, it was always considered a "teaser" to expand BMW's traditional customer base and lure new buyers who would eventually be turned to more expensive models. If that's the case, then yes, this will be my one-and-only MINI buying experience.

I agree Jsun, I am very doubtful that this car will hold up long term. Also think of the the problems people are having with these cars UNDER WARRANTY. And these cars have low miles on them now... What happens, when they are out of warranty and have real wear and tear on them? Those are gunna be some expensive cars to keep on the road.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:13 AM
COOPERation
Burbling since 2002
I dunno at this point, but it's kinda freaky...the word AUDI keeps popping into my head...

Old 08-07-2003, 08:13 AM
jerrygee
4th Gear
Most likely my last one but not due to BMW’s over-protective stance on their trademarks and domain names. With only 70 dealers nation wide, getting good service from my location is a major inconvenience and with the problems that are well documented on MCO this little car needs to see the dealer more often than anything I have had in the past.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:14 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
As I said initially I think at this point in time, this situation does partially play into my own feelings for future ownership.

Of course, the reliability is important, and having had 3 coolant tanks and 5 windshields in my own MINI and reading about how new MINIs have a stumble problem hasn't helped my impressions of this car either.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:17 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 AM
stovepipejones
4th Gear
I'm with Ants and L.
I love my car, plain and simple. I'm already looking into a Pepper White MCS to add to the stable. The fact that BMW slipped on their jackboots to "protect their brand" is a shame, but not enough to deprive myself of the joy I get driving my MINI.
Selfish, I know, but you won't find me picketing my dealer, ripping off my badge or trading in my car.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:24 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
>> :smile: :smile: :smile:

I hate to tell you but the "Lets Motor" and "Motoring Spirit" was a marketing campaign....MARKETING. What is the point of MARKETING? To sell cars. Plain and simple. MINI is a business just like any else, and thats the fact. It a fun and clever marketing campaign...but your a fool if you think the president of MINI sits home at night in a rocking chair, wrapped in a blanket....petting a toy MINI in his arms. Thats life.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:27 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Ants...well said on several points.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like L. and some others have said, I plan on keeping my car for a long time. I am not the type that buys a new car every couple of years.

This latest fiasco is not over yet, and depending on it's outcome I might have a changed outlook. Till then I am going to enjoy my car as I fight for MCO, because this case can have repercussions for years to come. Brand name defense is one thing, but nothing about MCO's existence can't be construed as being negative for the brand in any way. This all all about who has something, who wants that something, and who has the deepest pockets.

My other choice at the time as an SRT-4, and I am a diehard Dodge man from waaay back, so I can't say for sure if I would buy another MINI tomorrow if I had to.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:28 AM
8ball
6th Gear
... when BMC (and then Leyland) pulled the plug after the '67 model year, we were all feeling like the Factory had deserted us - we knew that from an economic standpoint, that They could not afford to re-certify a 'non-profit' car like the Mini but the abandonment was a blow to us anyway ...
That didn't stop us from buying or driving a Great Car - Private companies sprang up to supply parts and some of us even went to Canada to sneek new cars across the border (knowing that Warrenty work would never be available) ...

Wheather this car ends up being the Icon the original was or not remains to be seen, but the point is that if it is worth driving, we will drive it - with or without Factory backing, support, or web-site-blessing. Lawyers come and they go, they are as common as rats - but great driving cars like Mini's/MINI's don't come along every year. I've owned several Mini's and chances are that over the next several years, i'll own a few MINI's as well ...

Old 08-07-2003, 08:29 AM
crowstone
1st Gear
This incident has brought back memories of why I quit driving BMW’s in the early 80’s. Arrogant unresponsive dealers who were unable to repair your car properly and efficiently, and had no problem letting you know that complainers were most likely inadequate financially and had no business driving a fine German automobile. I cast my economic vote and stopped buying BMW products. Now that BMW has pushed itself to the forefront of the MINI/BMW association I will have to reaffirm my earlier vote and include MINI on my automotive blacklist.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:30 AM
TMGRobyn
6th Gear
Yeah right rants! I'm that stupid! Thanks for the marketing 101 lesson! I didn't understand what those ads were all about! I feel so enlightened. Read my signature line, I get it!

Mini_Street_Racer
4th Gear
we'll I planned to buy another MINI another "S" infact but this whole affair did leave a sour taste in my mouth. also being a socaleuro afficionado, I instead plan to get the Audi TT quatro with direct shift transmission. at least VW/Audi supports their fanbase. We wont have to worry about Vdub shutting down VW vortex or Socaleuro for that matter. I wont have to worry about the network being shutdown or limited for something like "protecting trademark "

MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I'm with Ants and L.
>>I love my car, plain and simple. The fact that BMW slipped on their jackboots to "protect their brand" is a shame, but not enough to deprive myself of the joy I get driving my MINI.
>>

Ditto.

Its a company protecting its trademark, unfortunately this is the ugly reality of how its done. Better planning on BMWs part could have probably prevented this grief we are all feeling, but how could they have known that a US deprived of affordable British cars for 20 yrs. would have reacted so positively to MINI's introduction. I'll bet we took those bean counters in Munich by surprise in the volume of MCS and MC orders we've placed. Lets see what if any effect the petition has on those corporate types. I have faith that there is at least a little humanity in them, and that they'll come around and offer Mark some sort of acceptable resolution.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 AM
MG-BGT
5th Gear
This is a tough one!
On one hand, BMW's actions is leaving a very bitter taste in the mouth. Being a MINI owner to me is more than just owning just any type or brand of car. I think many MINI owners feel the same way, and that's why the MINI USA grass roots ad campaign has been so successful. It's such a shame that this campaign is now being effectively negated by what corporate headquarters are doing.
On the other hand I love my MINI, and I would not let corporate bullying affect my decision to keep or buy a car.
That said, this will affect how I feel about my MINI, how much I pursue the purchase of corporate BMW parts and merchandise, how I present the MINI to others including potential or interested buyers. I will now much more present it as just another car, and less of a lifestyle.
My decision to retain this MINI, or purchase another one, or switch brands entirely will be based mostly on other issues, including durability and reliability, as well as cost of maintaining the MINI. My particular car is one I consider to have quite a few problems, more than I would like, and I am teetering on the verge of selling it and buying a new one that hoipefully will have fewer problems. Ultimately though, if I am indecisive and right on the verge, how I FEEL about MINI as a lifestyle, could just be what tips my decision.
Only time will tell.
Right now, I still love my MINI, I love the MINI community, MCO and others, but I no longer love MINI USA and even less the parent company.
One statement I CAN make is that while even before this came down it would have been unlikely for me
to ever purchase a BMW, that has now become a DEFINITE NO-NO!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:34 AM
VerucaSalt
I'm with Ants and L.
Holy crap! :smile:

Old 08-07-2003, 08:35 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
*group hug*...well, lets not go that far.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Will this be your LAST MINI?