R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Will this be your LAST MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:42 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of driving mine off a cliff in protest, then continue making the payments. WHOS WITH ME?

Old 08-07-2003, 12:46 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>>I was thinking of driving mine off a cliff in protest, then continue making the payments. WHOS WITH ME? :smile:

--
Cheese

Old 08-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Yank
3rd Gear
Old 08-07-2003, 01:10 PM
MiniMac
4th Gear
I plan on ordering a 2007 model.
That is if I still love the car, and the price is right.

As much as I am upset about BMW "attacking" this website, it is just a website.
And as much as I hate to admit, MINI Cooper is a trademarked term being used by
someone other than BMW. No matter what this website is called, I will still come
here to express my likes and look for informtion about the car I love.

If someone was using my companies trademarked term on their website, you bet I
would do whatever I could to stop them.

So if BMW lets the domain name stand, is everyone going to but a new MINI?

Old 08-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Cat
4th Gear
While I think BMW is going about it the wrong way, they do have a right to protect their trademark, and changing a domain name isn't all that difficult. "FreshAlloy.com" for example is an enthusiast site for Infiniti and doesn't have the name in its domain. It's the other demands, like having no links to commercial sites, I find ridiculous. Who are they kidding? FreshAlloy is sponsored by two dealerships and TireRack! And it's done wonders for the Infiniti name!

I almost didn't test drive the MINI simply because it's a BMW. I don't like how BMW does business, never have, nor am I the type to buy something just because of the label. BUT neither do I like being totally reactionary.

The MINI is the funnest car I've ever driven bar none. And fun driving is very very very important to me!!! So as long as it is the most fun car to drive I will own a MINI. I'd rather have a totally fun car with a few problems than a boring high-priced Lexus with no problems any day. And I'm not going to let my BMW angst keep me from fun!

Old 08-07-2003, 01:41 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
>>Well this might be my last MINI, but not because of this whole situation. I plan on keeping my MINI for a very long time, paying it off and then later getting a second car when I can afford it (that car being an S4).
>>
>>But if I somehow was left completely carless before then (knock on wood ten times) yes I would get another MINI. Just because corporate is being a bunch of jerk-offs doesn't mean that I love my car any less.

This will probably be my last Mini but only because I see a car like a Mini as being at a point in history. I might be jaded but I'm not shocked by what BMW is doing. I expect as much from them. It has soured the experience somewhat. It would have been nicer to have been part of a community where your car's makers appreciate and embrace their customers.

If I don't get another Mini, it will probably because I want another type of car that fits my life at that point. Hopefully, I'll keep this one for a very long time (I know I've said that before).

Old 08-07-2003, 01:53 PM
pooky13
4th Gear
>>Life is too short. Motor on.

That exactly right Minihune, I will enjoy Pooky Junior for as long as I have her no matter what. Corporations will do as they wish to maintain control of their brand. Hopefully things will work out in the near future, but I'm not gonna let the negativity of these recent events affect morotoring happiness. :smile:

Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
I bought this car for the same reasons I have bought my other cars, not necessarily for what it is today, but what it can be tomorrow. The aftermarket is _VERY_ important to me. I want performance upgrades, I want interior/exterior upgrades, I want information on how to squeeze every last ounce of life out of this sweet little car! Have you seen some of the crazy stuff people have done to the original Mini? What new things can we come up with for ours? If the BMW giant starts killing this type of thing through the demise of forums like this and by hounding the manufactures / distributors like MINI Motorsport, then this will have to be my last MINI/Mini. It’s a great car out of the chute, but not enough to keep my interest. I can have too much fun with my Mustang or Honda with less hassle. Just my $.02

Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
I loved my MINI and thought BMW was handling things well at first. Then I got the stumble/hesitation/cold start issues which annoyed me a bit but I was hopeful that they would fix it. Then the issue about the shocks came up and then the MCO cease and dissist letter and now, BMW certainly has left a sour taste in my mouth. It's a shame too because I was hoping for possible a diesel or a convertable as a second addition.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:14 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely buy another a MINI. To me this branding fiasco should have happened a year ago, but better now than a year from now. I just wish BMW would play a part in the solution and right now it doesn't seem like they're willing to do so. I hope that changes. As an added thought, even though MINI used the "Let's Motor" thing and it was part of their ad campaign, many of us have been motoring for a long time in some fashion. BMW just tapped into the concept, but it belongs to us. (although not legally ) It hit a nerve (as intended) because that's what we want.....we want to motor!!!! MINIs are the perfect type of car for this, but, if the worst happens and the brand craters, hopefully there will be others options out there.

Old 08-07-2003, 06:06 PM
rfibanez
Banned
I would buy another mini in the future, maybe an S. I love my mini I just dont like what MINI USA is doing.

>> VW/Audi supports their fanbase

They support the fanbase for the new VW's thats becuase those fans bought new VW's. They did exactly what mini is doing to the classic VW owners, they wanted all those classic VW owners to go buy a new VW...I'd probably never get a new VW but those turbocharged engines are so tempting...

Old 08-07-2003, 07:51 PM
StaceysMini1
1st Gear
this whole affair has left me feeling really sad that in this day and age things have to come to this. Okay maybe I "fell" for the marketing too, and maybe I'm foolish for that, but I do feel there is something really special about this car. I have never seen a car that so many people are this passionate about. We all LOVE our MINI's and each other (even if we disagree from time to time).

In the end even if we have to change the name of the site we will find each other again. The new site will be just a good if not even better. Going through troubled times together only makes the bond between us stronger
Just remember...MINI's always find each other!

I'm personally waiting to see how this turns out before I make my second MINI purchase decision! I just don't know if I can endorse a company doing this to it's most loyal customers!

Take care everyone!
Stacey

Old 08-07-2003, 10:40 PM
flkmkr
2nd Gear
Hear this BMW!!!!! I can afford better and in the future, I'll buy better. I'm thinking about $60k every 3 years on an overpriced, souless Infiniti, because they're comfy and they don't rattle, squeek or breakdown.....ok, it's because my wife loves her Q and is tired of my whinning about injustice and corporate heavy-handedness, but I won't be back and when my warranty is up I'm going to sacrifice LILBUD to the lake-Gods. Just kidding, I'm no fool. To hell with BMW and up, up, up with my MINI. Forget my rant, I think I'm going to place an order for a convertible as well...it really sucks being bi-polar.

Love,

Me

Purple Kool-aid for everyone.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 AM
rcase13
4th Gear
It's going to take more than BMW's snobby attitude to pry me from my car. I still drive my Miata which is owned by Ford now...

I hate Ford worse than any company. Profits before safety and reliability. That is their motto. The president even admitted the reliability part on TV.

Reliability, Safety and Fun. If the car doesn't address all three to a resonable level than that is when I will give up the car.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:30 AM
2minis
6th Gear
I have gotten a new MINI every 4-6 months since March, '02 release. I
have never been impressed with BMWs reliability(case in point.....recalls of
1996 7 series v. recalls of 1996 Neon) and would have preffered a
source other than BMW. I have owned five 'first issue' cars by other car
makers(Impreza, Trooper, VW Rabbit, Fiat Brava and a Saab 96 V4) and
never experienced any reliability issues. Reliability, in my mind, has never
been BMWs strongpoint. I think, for most BMW owners, it is the "snob appeal"
of the car, rather than research into reliability that promotes ownership.
I do have a BMW motorcycle, they do impress me with their reliability
and bought a new bike yesterday, but it was a Kawasaki. I am an auto
and motorcycle enthusiast and am an active enthusiast. My plan was to
buy an '04 Pepper White S because I like the color. My plans for that
purchase are on hold. It has as much to do with the "litigation" as the fact
that now I am thinking about reliability issues, rather than making 'impulse'
purchases because it was a "MINI." Every MINI I have owned has had problems.
I had no problems with any of the other 'first issue' cars I have owned, so now
I am thinking, it is a "BMW" rather than a "MINI." Therefore, the decision to not
by an '04.
So buhbyyyeee pitpass. I never had a pitpass...I was a driver. Perhaps we've met.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:34 AM
rafthos
3rd Gear
This will absolutely, positively, without a shadow of a doubt NOT be my last mini. Lookin foreward to the convertable. Just always remember corporations are *******s and generally have many lawyers doing nothing but looking out for the best intrest of the corp, ie. causing problems that NEED to be solved so their jobs will remain secure. I disagree with miniusa's stand on the issue so far and I will lobby for MCO to the best of my abillity but I still like the cars no matter what. The only thing that would make me not buy a new convertable would be loss of quality issues.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:45 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
>>I have gotten a new MINI every 4-6 months since March, '02 release. I
>>have never been impressed with BMWs reliability(case in point.....recalls of
>>1996 7 series v. recalls of 1996 Neon) and would have preffered a
>>source other than BMW. I have owned five 'first issue' cars by other car
>>makers(Impreza, Trooper, VW Rabbit, Fiat Brava and a Saab 96 V4) and
>>never experienced any reliability issues. Reliability, in my mind, has never
>>been BMWs strongpoint. I think, for most BMW owners, it is the "snob appeal"
>>of the car, rather than research into reliability that promotes ownership.
>>I do have a BMW motorcycle, they do impress me with their reliability
>>and bought a new bike yesterday, but it was a Kawasaki. I am an auto
>>and motorcycle enthusiast and am an active enthusiast. My plan was to
>>buy an '04 Pepper White S because I like the color. My plans for that
>>purchase are on hold. It has as much to do with the "litigation" as the fact
>>that now I am thinking about reliability issues, rather than making 'impulse'
>>purchases because it was a "MINI." Every MINI I have owned has had problems.
>>I had no problems with any of the other 'first issue' cars I have owned, so now
>>I am thinking, it is a "BMW" rather than a "MINI." Therefore, the decision to not
>>by an '04.
>>So buhbyyyeee pitpass. I never had a pitpass...I was a driver. Perhaps we've met.

Agreed. I have been through two MINIs now, and BOTH have had numerous problems. I never experienced any reliability issues with any other cars I have owned before MINI. I just dont have the time to bring my MINI into the shop every week. I am also very worried now about moving to Florida in this car. I really hope it doesnt give me problems on the way down. This will be my last MINI, but for reliability issues only.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:56 AM
PittsburghMark
5th Gear
I don't know if this will be my last MINI or not, but I'm pretty much disgusted with minicooperonline.com Not because of BMW, but because of the mods, or some of them anyway. They've gotten too arrogant. When they start lecturing us about how "this site WILL be brought into line", well that just makes me laugh out loud.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:59 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Pmark...
Laughter is good medicine. Stick around.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:04 AM
C4
Banned
Wow! Then I must be very lucky with my cars......'02 Cooper CVT 11.5K miles ZERO problems!

If the MINIs are so unreliable why then keep coming back? Sounds like self imposed punishment to me...

Old 08-08-2003, 08:07 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
Because, I cant imagine what else I would want to drive. I dont like the way anything else looks. Sad though, that I have to trade reliability for looks.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:07 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pmark,

I'll let you in on my mantra,

"I used to get upset, now I just get amused."

Try it when things seem a little too much.

I learned long ago, in the Peace Corps, that the world is a very difficult thing for someone to change.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:08 AM
PittsburghMark
5th Gear
>>Pmark...
>>Laughter is good medicine. Stick around.

I dunno man. I'm not the only long-time member I've seen talking about leaving because the site atmosphere has changed. And I don't just mean the BMW thing either. It just seems that the fun is being sucked out of the site in an attempt to make it a more SERIOUS board to discuss our MOTORS and whatnot. It seems that if you're not a techie, then you're not considered MCO material. Well, sorry but 90 percent of MINI owners will never make any modification to their cars, I know I haven't, I wouldn't know how to even start. I guess that leaves me banned to Off Topic, which has already started to become deserted since the Gods decided it wasn't PROFESSIONAL enough.

MCO is going to end up being traveled only by techies, which means it will shrivel up and die. That makes me sad

Old 08-08-2003, 08:16 AM
2minis
6th Gear
Pmark,
Just go out and buy a

Old 08-08-2003, 09:03 AM
rafthos
3rd Gear
I also have a different view of the reliabillity issue. My MCS has never had a problem. I got it in oct 02 and i have no hesitation, no window issues, no issues at all. My only complain is the car has 14,000 miles and it needs tires, but i suspect that is my fault not mini's in fact I left quite a bit of rubber up on hwy 129 at Deal's Gap NC, the infamous dragon. You either love the car or not. As for the the mention of other cars Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Subaru, and Mitsubishi all make fine cars. If you don't love your mini maybe one of these companies will make a car that fills your needs. I personally would love to have various models made by these companies, but right now i am a mini maniac. Last note on the subject, notice Dodge wasn't mentioned. My uncle ownes a 5 star chrysler dealership. I drove the srt-4. It sucks. Its fast as all get out but its cheap, and you want to talk reliability the one I drove was fresh preped off the truck and it had rattles in the engine and body, as well as hesitations in the throttle. Other drivers of different srt-4's have said similar stories. In short SRT-4 = real fast, poorly built.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Will this be your LAST MINI?