R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R56 to R53, but not just any R53 (2006 MCS JCW Competition Edition - #21)!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM
goat
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 to R53, but not just any R53 (2006 MCS JCW Competition Edition - #21)!

Hi everyone,

Just an update for those I have chatted with in the past either through the forum or in PM's... merely wish to tell my personal mini journey-to-date 'in a nutshell'.

After falling in love with minis many years ago, when my time came to purchase my own I waited patiently, convinced of many improvements to be made in the R56 that was just around the corner. Most of the improvements seemed to indeed arrive, I purchased my R56 Cooper, and after six months my initial suspicions had galvanized: this was not the sort of mini I first fell in love with, not the mini for me!

Against my personal metrics, a legion of improvements on paper had simply not translated to a car whose driving feel and exterior and interior aesthetics I was truly passionate about. Even with the JCW suspension the handling, while tenacious (especially on 215-45-17 Hankook R32's) and vastly improved over the base suspension, still felt more like a small BMW than the scrappy back-road hatch equivalent of my miata roadster. Sprinkle in a gearbox that never let me shift to second even pseudo-quickly and a surprisingly-clattery-and-growing-ever-more-clattery engine idle and I set about seriously looking for a 2006 R53 I could call my own.

Well what should I find at my local dealer but EXACTLY the sort of mini I fondly remember first experiencing, only MORE SO? Canada did not get the GP, but did receive a pretty desirable "consolation prize" nevertheless... in late 2006 Oxford assembled 64 MCS JCW Competition Edition cars (one of them paced the Targa Newfoundland that year) and #21 came to a good home last week! For those that don't know them, these "factory specials" had the full suite of JCW performance parts (208hp engine tuning kit, suspension kit, big brake kit, LSD, etc.), as well as JCW aero kit, JCW alcantara/leather steering wheel, JCW shift **** & gaiter, JCW handbrake & boot, JCW door sills, etc. Very well equipped with DSC, full anthracite interior, sunroof, xenons, heated seats, front and rear fogs, HK stereo, power folding mirrors, etc. (There are now several Canucks on NAM in the MCS JCW Comp Edition registry and every one of us can attest to loving these cars.)

To wrap up this rather lengthier-than-intended update on "goat motoring"... I have been unable to wipe the smile off my face whether I am sourcing snow tires and awaiting delivery (2 weeks ago), zipping up to Montreal for a few hours to help out a friend with an E46 330i purchase (last Friday), driving around aimlessly (last weekend), or commuting to work (this week). I have not had this kind of driver satisfaction and ownership giddiness since I first became a miata owner quite a number of years ago!

For me, this is the one, this is a keeper. Looking forward to many kms of rewarding driving and some wonderful roadtrips!

Pics in my gallery for those who care to peek... looking forward to continued camaraderie with all of my friends on NAM - R56 and R53 alike. Thanks for listening everyone!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats ... I know what you mean about the R56

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
tazio
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bravo! You made the right choice. Once you'e driven an R50/53, the R56 seems very... ordinary.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats on finding a ride you love to drive!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 PM
grillhands
4th Gear
I never been in the R56. Is there really a big difference?

Old 03-20-2008, 03:25 PM
goat
3rd Gear
Oh yes, the differences are many and substantive. Even "non-mini" friends (who are driving enthusiasts, like my local miata and BMW buddies) who have had seat time in both generations start out walking up to the cars saying "not that different" but as they get up close then get inside and really look around and then especially start it up and drive even for a couple of minutes they are amazed how different the character of the two vehicles is.

Mind you, these changes are good to some, bad to others. Some things improved while others did not. Too many threads on NAM already arguing pros/cons but in the end they are just "other people's opinions" -- sounds like a test drive at your local dealer next time you are in for a service visit is in order!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM
goat
3rd Gear
Thanks Ryan! Now what to do with that pesky miata...

Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations! Beautiful car!

I own a '05 R53 S Chili Red/White and today it turned 3 years old! I love this car and perfectly understand where you are coming from. I plan to keep the R53 for a very long time.

3 weeks ago I took delivery of a new Clubman S and it is a fantastic but different car than the R53. I feel lucky to have access to the best of both worlds.

But the R53 is one heck of a special machine! After nearly 40K miles, I don't get tired of driving it at all!

Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Wow nice!!! I knew this was the Mini for me too your twin brotha #20/64

Old 03-20-2008, 05:53 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by goat
After falling in love with minis many years ago, when my time came to purchase my own I waited patiently, convinced of many improvements to be made in the R56 that was just around the corner. Most of the improvements seemed to indeed arrive, I purchased my R56 Cooper, and after six months my initial suspicions had galvanized: this was not the sort of mini I first fell in love with, not the mini for me!

Against my personal metrics, a legion of improvements on paper had simply not translated to a car whose driving feel and exterior and interior aesthetics I was truly passionate about. Even with the JCW suspension the handling, while tenacious (especially on 215-45-17 Hankook R32's) and vastly improved over the base suspension, still felt more like a small BMW than the scrappy back-road hatch equivalent of my miata roadster. Sprinkle in a gearbox that never let me shift to second even pseudo-quickly and a surprisingly-clattery-and-growing-ever-more-clattery engine idle and I set about seriously looking for a 2006 R53 I could call my own.
My sentiments exactly ...and virtually the same story ...but you tell it better. I never took delivery of my R56 ...a few lengthy test drives convinced me to cancel my order and the hunt for an R53 began. I must admit ...you seem to have found a better one than I did.

I have not had this kind of driver satisfaction and ownership giddiness since I first became a miata owner quite a number of years ago!

For me, this is the one, this is a keeper.
Fan-damn-tastic. I love a happy ending.

Dean.