R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I'm back in an R53 MCS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Mowse
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back in an R53 MCS!

After selling my '05 JCW for an '06 Porsche Cayman S and missing it so much I sold the Porsche and got an '07 "stage one" JCW(tuning,suspension,wheels). Now I have come full circle and purchased a '05 BRG/Blk MCS and am happier than ever. I know this is a hot debate, however, I like the int/ext look and the driving feel of the R53 better than any car I have ever owned. I was in denial as I was seduced by the promises of the R56. It's great, but not the same.Comments?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mowse
After selling my '05 JCW for an '06 Porsche Cayman S and missing it so much I sold the Porsche and got an '07 "stage one" JCW(tuning,suspension,wheels). Now I have come full circle and purchased a '05 BRG/Blk MCS and am happier than ever. I know this is a hot debate, however, I like the int/ext look and the driving feel of the R53 better than any car I have ever owned. I was in denial as I was seduced by the promises of the R56. It's great, but not the same.Comments?

Cayman S for the Mini.... that surprises me

Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send this link to Chows.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
I'm really surprised that someone would trade in an R56 for an R53. I prefer the older generation, but still.

Anyways, glad to have ya back in the fold.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I sold my '07 R56 MCS to get an '02 MCS. The R56 is a great car, but I like the hardcore and visceral R53 for my entertainment.

Honestly, I'm not surprised to see a Cayman to MINI switch. I'm not a fan of the Cayman; it's rather sterile feeling on the street.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 PM
TWON
4th Gear
Congrats on getting what makes you happy!!!

I also just went from a R56 to a R53 (06 JCW)... I love it!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear
Congrats and enjoy

Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 PM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
They always come back....

Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Cayman S for the Mini.... that surprises me
Shoulda got the 911 GT3

Welcome back and back, glad you found whats right for you, remember this when temptation calls, keep the R53 get 2nd car, cause you'll want the R53 again

Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Agreed. In an effort to make them marketable to the masses, Porsche has refined out the visceral and engaging aspects from most of its cars. They've ended up becoming competent but dull and boring appliances with a pedigree.

It's sad that a Mini winds up being more fun and entertaining to drive than most current Porsche models.

Originally Posted by Ryephile
The R56 is a great car, but I like the hardcore and visceral R53 for my entertainment.

Honestly, I'm not surprised to see a Cayman to MINI switch. I'm not a fan of the Cayman; it's rather sterile feeling on the street.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 AM
steve k
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
Agreed. In an effort to make them marketable to the masses, Porsche has refined out the visceral and engaging aspects from most of its cars. They've ended up becoming competent but dull and boring appliances with a pedigree.

It's sad that a Mini winds up being more fun and entertaining to drive than most current Porsche models.
Really? Can you elaborate please.... Do you have any personal experience in p-cars too?

Old 12-27-2007, 03:46 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mowse

Send the link to Gabe at Motoringfile.com

Yes I agree, the R53 is a fantastic machine. I have no plans to sell my current '05 R53. Instead, we are replacing our '02 R50 Cooper with a new '08 R55 Clubman S turbo and get the best of both worlds.

Again, congratulations! Snap some pics when you get a chance

Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TWON
Congrats on getting what makes you happy!!!

I also just went from a R56 to a R53 (06 JCW)... I love it!!!
Can you elaborate? What made you come back to the R53?

Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive had mine for like 5yrs now. that's a very long time kenchan keeps
any car. there is a reason for that.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:37 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
just saw my car

I have hardly driven the SpiderX this year..... probably less than 5K. I have considered offering it for sale to someone who will appreciate it. I sent it to the detail shop for some carpet shampoo etc as the car has lived in so many shops it was smelling like one. Now that it is done, cleaning it up removing shop smells etc. has been my goal. I just went to the shop to see it as I have been out of town and........ the car looks amazing (to me). I know it is running great as it just had the RMW tune and it is looking great.... it would be hard to let it go. This thread reminds me of what an amazing, fun to drive car/hobby the R53 is

Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The favoring the R53 over R56 opinion is something I was wondering about, because ,of course, I favor the R53 as I own one. Except those sexy red pleated R56 seats.With matching interior. And the cool secret cubby hole above the glove box on a R56 . Unfortunately the R53's are all going to get used up eventually, however the supply of low mileage R53 cars should be good for quite a while as many are kept for Sunday drives.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm back in an R53 MCS!
Gromit801 Send this link to Chows.
+ 1

Old 12-27-2007, 08:53 AM
DrWhoMini
2nd Gear
My previous car was a Porsche Boxster and initial impressions are that the R53 is better for the real world--more comfortable, more utlitarian and just as much fun to drive.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
TWON
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Can you elaborate? What made you come back to the R53?
I can try, HERE is a post from me with a little bit also.

I guess you can't really say I came back as I have been a mini owner for less then a year and started with the R56 first. I have been watching all of you here and was interested for a long time. I LOVED the looks of the mini, now I like the looks of the R56.

When it was finally time for me to get a new car, the mini was the first option... ok, it was the only option for me at the time When I saw the new R56, i liked it, but it was also missing something that the R50/R53 had. But the R56 was new, I could get the specs I wanted and all the gimmicks caught me hook, line and sinker! Nav, secret cubby hole, comfort access and on and on. On top of that, a new and improved engine with a turbo. When I drove an R56 for the first time, man was it smooth! I didn't know how to described the difference between the two generations as I hadn't spent enough time in the earlier ones, but now that I have had a R53 for a couple weeks, it is, as described so often, refined.

Fast forward 6 months, through many many problems with my R56 (not the reason I changed at all). I finally got to the point, with almost two months in the shop, that I told them I was no longer willing to keep my miini that I loved so much! Now BMW/MINI has been great about this by the way! My intention was to have them order the exact same match to what I had. But then I got to thinking.

So, now I am in the same spot I was when I was ready to buy a new car. But now I have had the gimmicks and the nice new car for the past six months and well, some of the novelty has worn off. It was going to take some time to get the new one ordered and then the many weeks to get to me again. And still, when I walk by other R53's, I think why doesn't my mini grab my attention like this one? So, I figured, there is no harm in looking to see what is on the market in the mean time. I started looking and realizing that there were a lot of used ones out there as long as I kept my search in a large enough region. So, one day I sat down and made a list of all the options I would want in an 06 with a few available colors and figured if I found the right mini for the right price, I could save a whole lot of money!

I LOVED my lounge leather seats in my R56, I was worried that the R53's just wouldn't have the comfort that mine did, so I went and test drove a few to find out, they weren't much different at all. From there, the search was on for the right mini and after a couple close misses, I found the exact mini I would have ordered in 06 at a good price on a dealer lot. I figured I would have to find one on a lot in order to get the price I wanted. I don't think the dealer knew exactly what they had sitting on their lot, they just new it was nice. I found in my search, that if a dealer doesn't know a lot about mini's, they all start at the same high price and end up coming down considerably.

I think they started with a pretty fair price, but was low enough I could tell they didn't know any better cause it is what I would expect to see from a private party seller. So I started negotiating and getting VERY excited.

A week later, I had an R53 JCW with all the options except NAV or chrono. Oh, and an extra $8,000 in my account,

The first time I drove the R53, I thought, this doesn't feel right. Just like if any of you hopped in someone else's mini and drove. It was the same feeling as hopping in a different R56. But now that I have driven it for a week or two, it is MINE now and feels it! I couldn't be happier with my decision

I am not saying by any means that one is more superior to the other, but the R53 is just right for me today And now when I walk by mine, I smile and say, yup, that's mine and I love her!

And if you didn't click on the link in the beginning, her name is "TRIPP". My mother and grandmother named her as they took the trip from WA to CA to get her home for me and loved every mile of it.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TWON
I am not saying by any means that one is more superior to the other, but the R53 is just right for me today And now when I walk by mine, I smile and say, yup, that's mine and I love her!
It sounds like your journey was similar to mine ...but I never owned an R56. I ordered one long before any had been delivered and once they showed up and I got to see and drive one I changed my mind. I was lucky enough to find an R53 configured just the same, but with a few extra goodies and for a whole lot less money.

Like you said ...the R53 was just right for me ...and it makes me smile.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Mowse
5th Gear
So....I'm not crazy. Lots of people with the same opinion. Very different cars. I am unequivical in my preference for the R53. Too bad it too two months and $40,000 to fiquire it out.If there's anyone out there who wants a loaded to the gills R56 3x JCW 2400 miles get in touch 440-821-3865.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:47 PM
soliloquiet
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by reelsmith.
It sounds like your journey was similar to mine ...but I never owned an R56. I ordered one long before any had been delivered and once they showed up and I got to see and drive one I changed my mind. I was lucky enough to find an R53 configured just the same, but with a few extra goodies and for a whole lot less money.

Like you said ...the R53 was just right for me ...and it makes me smile.

I had relatively the same experience(sans ordering) i went to the dealer last May with expectations of buying one of the trillion R56s on lot and while looking i spotted the HB JCW(one of maybe 3-5 R53s left). The choice was very easy for me, all the options i wanted were there(short of seats) and after the test drive of both, I had no hesitations.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I can understand... I have worked hard to pay off my 2005 R52 early but I have this pesky voice in the back of my mind that keeps saying trade her in on an exact replica 2008 R52 before the cabrios change to generation 2

Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
I can understand... I have worked hard to pay off my 2005 R52 early but I have this pesky voice in the back of my mind that keeps saying trade her in on an exact replica 2008 R52 before the cabrios change to generation 2
If Blimey was 18 months older and had 18 months more miles on it (which would be about 60K total at the rate I'm going) I would seriously consider the same thing, TT... I just plain can't imagine myself WITHOUT this car now... to me, it's perfect. Granted, I've done a bit to get mine that way. But the visceral road feel and the SC whine and the gen 1 quirkiness are all things I just don't want to be without - ever...

Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
...the visceral road feel and the SC whine and the gen 1 quirkiness are all things I just don't want to be without - ever...
Agreed.

Am I nuts to be worrying about this with only 11K miles on my car?!

Maybe they'll make an Anniversary Edition R53 one day.

dean.

Quick Reply: R50/53 I'm back in an R53 MCS!