R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Glove box/the dreaded airbag sensor..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 01:22 PM
katanabob
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glove box/the dreaded airbag sensor..

Hi, all.

Recently picked up an '02 MCS and in the process of chasing rattles (they're all gone!) I pulled the glove box out. Perhaps just coincidence, but the next time I started the car following glove box reinstall, I get the fabled airbag warning light.

I can't help but think that I may have knocked something loose when I had the glove box out (timing is awfully coincidental) and the connections under the seats appear to (and feel) tight.

Does anyone know offhand whether the passenger-side airbag has any exposed connectors I may have knocked free while putting the glovebox back in?

I know this topic (airbag light) has come up dozens of times before, and I know it'll have to go back to a dealer to be reset. I'm just trying to narrow things down beforehand. Thanks in advance for the info-

Old 12-03-2007, 03:45 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've always read that the airbag sensor is under the seats....don't feel bad, I've had to take it to the dealer 3 times to fix....2002 MCS
as I write this my airbag light is still on....been on for about 6 months now..
MINI extended the warranty on this fix for 100000 miles or 10 years....
take it to the dealer....
I've ignored it so if I am in an accident, my airbag probably won't deploy..
I'm not worried though....I'm a child of the 70's before the age of gay airbags and over the shoulder seatbelts...LOL

Old 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by okraD La
I've always read that the airbag sensor is under the seats....don't feel bad, I've had to take it to the dealer 3 times to fix....2002 MCS
as I write this my airbag light is still on....been on for about 6 months now..
MINI extended the warranty on this fix for 100000 miles or 10 years....
take it to the dealer....
I've ignored it so if I am in an accident, my airbag probably won't deploy..
I'm not worried though....I'm a child of the 70's before the age of gay airbags and over the shoulder seatbelts...LOL
Yeah i've got the airbag light on as well, i'm ignoring it, no money to fix it right now, maybe it'll just work anyways...

Old 12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Highly unlikely that you have done anything to cause the airbag light to come on. On the O2 MINI's the airbag system has alot common problems. So don't worry too much, you'll have to have the dealer or someone with a code reader that does airbags read it out.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM
katanabob
Neutral
I appreciate the info. I guess I'll be making a pilgrimage to the dealer after all. Thanks-

Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. Likely under one of the seats is where the problem is and it is covered to 100,000. The dealer is the only way to get it fixed and ensure the bag will deploy. When your glovebox latch gives way and breaks, I have a $2.00 fix to keep it closed.

Now, if someone can tell me the secret to stopping the rattle in the sunroof at the switch, I'd be happy. The only fix I have so far is to pop it open at which point the rattle disappears. Seems to be worse in cold weather and intermittent in hot weather.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 AM
brigadoonb
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ToBFree

Now, if someone can tell me the secret to stopping the rattle in the sunroof at the switch, I'd be happy. The only fix I have so far is to pop it open at which point the rattle disappears. Seems to be worse in cold weather and intermittent in hot weather.
Yeah, that rattle is driving me crazy!!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 AM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just turn the radio really loud....
LOL

Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 AM
jakay11
4th Gear
I have an '06 MCS... at about 25K mi (I'm now at 30K) the light came on and then went off 2xs.

I took it to the dealer and they replaced the bag sensor (accelerometer, not the one in the seat).

As for the rattle, put some self-adhesive felt or weatherstripping in the sunroof switch...

HTH!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you dont care about opening the roof, use expansion foam. I don't have the rattle, but if I did I'd use that foam.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Jim&Tammy
1st Gear
For the sunroof ratteling, I placed strips of thick felt on the top of the fold down air dam and on the bottom of the tray where the air dam rests when the sunroof is closed. No more ratteling there. Now I need to find the source of the hatch and in the dash by the defrost vents.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 AM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The dash rattle in the defrost vents is too deep for me to chase. I dont notice it anymore.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
air bag light

My light was on after I took the pass seat out. The local BMW dealer since I bought the car used there ,agreed to reset it. And they did! But it came back on after a month or so. So now I need to get to Chicago to have it looked at by Patrick MINI .Didn't know it was covered under a 100,000 warranty. I might have to print this thread for them

Originally Posted by katanabob
Hi, all.

Recently picked up an '02 MCS and in the process of chasing rattles (they're all gone!) I pulled the glove box out. Perhaps just coincidence, but the next time I started the car following glove box reinstall, I get the fabled airbag warning light.

I can't help but think that I may have knocked something loose when I had the glove box out (timing is awfully coincidental) and the connections under the seats appear to (and feel) tight.

Does anyone know offhand whether the passenger-side airbag has any exposed connectors I may have knocked free while putting the glovebox back in?

I know this topic (airbag light) has come up dozens of times before, and I know it'll have to go back to a dealer to be reset. I'm just trying to narrow things down beforehand. Thanks in advance for the info-

Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
ToBFree
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim&Tammy
For the sunroof ratteling, I placed strips of thick felt on the top of the fold down air dam and on the bottom of the tray where the air dam rests when the sunroof is closed. No more ratteling there. Now I need to find the source of the hatch and in the dash by the defrost vents.
My sunroof deflectors already had foam cushions on the tops where it rests against the glass. My rattle comes right behind the switch. I can press the plastic trim behind the buttons and the rattle stops. Must not bother me much as I haven't stopped to pull the frame down and try a new fix.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:23 PM
katanabob
Neutral
As a follow-up note..

Took the car to Schomp here in Denver and it took them all of 10 minutes to determine that the airbag light was caused by the warranted harness problem. Took another 30 minutes to fix (replace the harness and reset the computer) and I was out and on my way after less than an hour's elapsed time.

Here's to hoping the light stays off!