R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Stalling with AC, Part II: The BREAKDOWN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Needler
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last week, I started a thread about my MINI stalling from first gear with the AC on. It hadn't happened all week since, so I figured it was a fluke.

Well....

Yesterday, I had my AC on and was taking off from a light and I noticed a complete lack of power. I turned the radio off to see if I could hear if the engine was running. It was, so then I thought it was a problem with first gear (?) and same thing, no power. I turned off the AC. Pressing the accelerator did almost nothing. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on and I thought "Oh Sh*t." I could only get up to about 30 MPH or so. I went to the bank drive through, and will I was sitting there I thought that I'd turn the car off and then back on again and maybe it would just all go away (sometimes I'm too optimistic). When I turned it back on, the engine sounded a little rough (an unusual sound coming from our purring MINIs). Again, "Oh Sh*t." (Ironically, the bank tellers had called others over to the window to point out and admire the MINI).

I left the bank and then the car REALLY started to have diminishing power. I thought I was going to come to a standstill in traffic (I hate that stress) so I quickly pulled into the first lot I could find and called the MINI Roadside Service. (I pulled into, of all places, one of those strip malls I loathe: PayDay Cash Loans, 7-11, a pawn shop, etc. A great place to wait 90 minutes for the tow truck

It was Saturday, so my car got towed to the dealer (Rasmussen in Portland, OR) to sit until Monday. I won't know until then what the deal is. Fortunately, I have another vehicle.

I gotta say, I hated the humiliation of having my baby up on a flatbed tow truck, as if on display in her failure. The driver was nice enough to drop me at my home, which was on the way. Then, the neighbors all got to see her at her lowest moments.

Oh, and the bad news. She's only got 2600 miles on her. Man.

So, anybody out there have a clue as to what's going on? I don't recall hearing of this problem before.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Needler
4th Gear
Addendum:

Jan '03 build. The belts looked fine. The fluid levels looked fine (although a little dirty). The temp was fine. No smoke/exhaust problem. It was as if the engine was not being fed any fuel, or was running on one cylinder (hey, like a lot of people I know!! )

Old 06-08-2003, 08:21 AM
PDX_Mini
4th Gear
No clue but sorry to hear about your troubles. Please let us know how Rasmussen handles your MINI. I will be taking mine there for service but have nenver met any of them.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:14 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Hope this doesn't happen to mine since I've been having similar problems!!! My appt is Wednesday. Sorry to hear what happened

Lois

Old 06-08-2003, 09:33 AM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
My non-S has also been stalling with the AC on this last week since the temperatures went up. Almost got me rearended pulling out into traffic when it stalled. Would like to hear what Rasmussen says, Needler. This is not confined just to the S.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Minigirl
3rd Gear
Mine has been suffer ing from a complete lack of power with the AC on. It even sometimes sputters like it is going to stall, but so far has not stalled...yet.

Old 06-08-2003, 05:15 PM
C4
Banned
You probably need (Get a full diagnostic first):

1) Software update version 33.2
2) new Throttle body control module
3) New engine harness

All covered under warranty.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Needler
4th Gear
>>You probably need (Get a full diagnostic first):
>>
>>1) Software update version 33.2
>>2) new Throttle body control module
>>3) New engine harness
>>
>>
>>All covered under warranty.

You were right! All of the above is happening. They even gave me a rental car that I can leave with them when I pick up my car. Rasmussen MINI has been wonderful to deal with.

Thanks for your help!

Needler

Old 06-09-2003, 07:54 PM
C4
Banned
>>>>You probably need (Get a full diagnostic first):
>>>>
>>>>1) Software update version 33.2
>>>>2) new Throttle body control module
>>>>3) New engine harness
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>All covered under warranty.
>>
>>You were right! All of the above is happening. They even gave me a rental car that I can leave with them when I pick up my car. Rasmussen MINI has been wonderful to deal with.
>>
>>Thanks for your help!
>>

>>Needler
>>

Needler:

I am glad to have been of any help. I hope everything gets sorted out soon and to your complete satisfaction. What kind of rental did they give you?

Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Needler,
I asked my husband to drive the MINI tonight with the AC on to see if I was crazy or not. It did exactly what yours did with stalling & engine stress! So I'm running without AC until Weds. I'm really curious to see if they find a problem since mine has not completely loss power like yours. I also called MINIUSA & they eluded to the fact that this is a reoccuring problem that they are seeing. Also curious if it is mostly occuring in cars built in January 2003 & later. I'll post what they find!
Lois

Old 06-09-2003, 08:56 PM
Needler
4th Gear
What kind of rental did they give you?
>>
>>

Are you READY........Hyandai Elantra!!! It's a BABE magnet. Everyone was checkin' me out in my ride.

Oh well, I'm not complaining. It's paid for and it gets me from point A to point B in reasonable fashion.

Thanks again.

Barb

Old 06-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Needler
4th Gear
>>Needler,
>>I asked my husband to drive the MINI tonight with the AC on to see if I was crazy or not. It did exactly what yours did with stalling & engine stress! So I'm running without AC until Weds. I'm really curious to see if they find a problem since mine has not completely loss power like yours. I also called MINIUSA & they eluded to the fact that this is a reoccuring problem that they are seeing. Also curious if it is mostly occuring in cars built in January 2003 & later. I'll post what they find!
>>Lois

I'm not sure that what we have both experienced are the same thing. I could not have continued to drive the way the car was going. It was going to completely die in another half mile.

When I first spoke to the service rep at the dealer, she said ALL the cars experience less power with the AC on. That's not what this was.

Has your "service engine light" flashed or stayed on? Mine happened really quickly, from fine to nearly dead in less than five minutes.

Perhaps yours is the same problem; in a way it'd be best if it was because it can be completely fixed. Then you're as good as new. If it's not, then you've got really sucky power with the AC on and that's not good.

Let me know what happens!

b

Old 06-09-2003, 09:16 PM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
No service engine light yet-have had
1. stalling in 1st gear
2 when idling in 1st gear,engine will start sounding & feeling "rough" with a drop in rpm's
3. When moving in reverse engine makes a horrible clunking sound & at the same time the car is having difficulty moving in reverse(does that make sense)
4 All of this only happens with the AC on & also seems to become less apparent after the car has warmed up.

If I did not have to run the AC the MINI would be just perfect. Unfortunately it's starting to get hot & I really don't want to have a total breakdown like you did. I've driven 4 cylinder cars for over 20 years & recognize the decrease power you get, but this is totally different. Oh well, I am obsessing about this crazy car. Drove my Miata for 6 years without a single problem,even run the AC with the top down. I just hate to think of MINI not being PERFECT

Lois

Old 06-09-2003, 11:57 PM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
this is very interesting. I was thinking that mine was a fluke, but with the A/C, I have almost no power in first, almost got stuck in the middle of an intersection too. ugh...I'm making an appointment this week for other issues, so I'm going to have this addressed as well.

11/02 build MC....

Old 06-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear

>>>>Also curious if it is mostly occuring in cars built in January 2003 & later. I'll post what they find!
>>>>

UH OHHH!!!!! Mine is also a January 2003 build and recently I have been experiencing loss of power/hesitation upon acceleration with the A/C on.

I first thought it was just the compressor robbing horsepower but thought otherwise when the engine started stalling. So far, no severe symptoms like Needler, but I'm a bit concerned.

Lois, keep us posted about the Jan. 03 build

Old 06-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
I was experiencing the same hesitation and rough idling with the A/C on and went in to Rasmussen's this evening to talk with Ann about the 3.3.2 software fix. When I started the car at work the A/C was completely dead. Told Ann about this and she went out and started the car. The A/C worked just fine, but the "check engine" light came on. She has me booked for next week for this, a cracked windshield, loose trim and an oil change.

When I left the A/C was still working but the "check engine" light had gone out. She wasn't too positive about the 3.3.2 fix, but said I definitely had something wrong.

So, Needler, any recent update on your Cooper?

Old 06-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Needler
4th Gear
>>I was experiencing the same hesitation and rough idling with the A/C on and went in to Rasmussen's this evening to talk with Ann about the 3.3.2 software fix. When I started the car at work the A/C was completely dead. Told Ann about this and she went out and started the car. The A/C worked just fine, but the "check engine" light came on. She has me booked for next week for this, a cracked windshield, loose trim and an oil change.
>>
>>When I left the A/C was still working but the "check engine" light had gone out. She wasn't too positive about the 3.3.2 fix, but said I definitely had something wrong.
>>
>>So, Needler, any recent update on your Cooper?
>>_________________
>>[

Yep, she was in the shop for 2 days, had the 33.2 upgrade, throttle body control and an engine harness replaced. She's running perfectly now. It kind of sounds like that you are experiencing what I did, but at a slower pace. Are you driving it around right now? I wouldn't recomment wandering too far from home, just in case. I'm a little iffy myself about driving up to Seattle over the weekend after last week's events. I can't imagine the inconvenience of being 180 miles from home and having to have her in a shop up there for 3 days!

Old 06-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
>>Yep, she was in the shop for 2 days, had the 33.2 upgrade, throttle body control and an engine harness replaced. She's running perfectly now. It kind of sounds like that you are experiencing what I did, but at a slower pace. Are you driving it around right now? I wouldn't recomment wandering too far from home, just in case. I'm a little iffy myself about driving up to Seattle over the weekend after last week's events. I can't imagine the inconvenience of being 180 miles from home and having to have her in a shop up there for 3 days!
>>
>>

I think I will keep my driving confined to Portland this weekend just in case. Hopefully they have found your problem. Maybe your experience will help them diagnose my problem.

Thanks, Barb.